Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello From The UK - GS750T

Just acquired an imported 1982 GS750T.

I love it, it looks like a motorcycle should look.

And...

...It's been stood for 4 years.

So I have a feeling I'll be making extensive use of the 'Search' feature here on the forum =)

I could also write what I know about motorcycle mechanics on the back of a postage stamp, so I have a feeling there will be challenges ahead.

But you know what?

I'm 51 and I can't think of anything I'd rather do with my spare time than start to learn about motorcycles by getting this beauty up and running.

Wish me luck.01-gs750t.jpg

Welcome.
    Nice to see another "T", especially where you are. By the color of the engine (black) and the color scheme, I believe your model T is an '83. This 2-year model is essentially the same for both years but for the paint. Whichever, it looks like you've found a great looking survivor. Anything you want to know or about this bike, I've probably been there/done that. Me and my bike have been through a lot. We're also the same age.

Lots of helpful links for you in my signature. BikeCliff's Website has Service manual (use the GS750 16 valve.....) manual. We didn't use an X after the GS in North America like the rest of the world did on their 16 valve models. There you will also find a supplement for the 82 T & E model which I contributed. I's very helpful. see GS750ET Service Manual Supplement. These are both in the top section, middle column.

Anything you need, don't be afraid to ask -After looking in the manual, and searching the site, of course. .

edit: does it run at all in it's current state? Pods on CV carbs have been know to be a fickle proposition.

edit 2: I take bake my former statement. I believe you have an ‘82 model that a previous owner painted the engine black or installed an ‘83 engine:

1982 black/gray

1983 black/gray
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-01-2023, 05:03 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Welcome, welcome!

You sure came to the right place, and to tell you something, 8 years ago (I think? Something like that) I started out with even less knowledge than you, found this forum, and got a bike up and running again that was in way worse condition than yours.

If I may give some advice; I would first focus on getting it back up and running, and only then worry about modifications. Yes, there are pod filters on there, which is a bit yucky for most, but hopefully the prior owner has adjusted the carbs accordingly.

A huge risk of the GS bikes is the vacuum operated petcock (you'll see it has no off position). Depending on storage conditions, these have been known to leak, and in that case there's a high likelyhood that some got into your engine. So as the first step, you should take off the fuel tank, check for obvious rust while you're at it, get rid of the old fuel (no point in using it in anything else other than your lawnmover at this point), fill with new and check if it leaks overnight.

If it leaks, you need to replace the petcock. Regardless of that, change the engine oil – it doesn't cost a lot in any case, there's no point in saving a buck here.

The next thing is the carbs. Do you know if they've been drained before storage? If not, the fuel that's normally present in the bowls will have evaporated by now, and usually that leaves a few of the passages and jets clogged with residue. You may get away with trying to start the engine anyway, but be prepared to take off the carb bank and clean them (It sounds worse than it is, I managed it as well with the help of the forum and the manuals off Cliff's site).
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Rich82GS759TZ - "Anything you want to know or about this bike, I've probably been there/done that." - After looking in the manual and searching the site...
        Of course =)

Thanks for the tip about the GS750 16 valve info. I didn't know that.

Does it run yet?

No.

When I turn the ignition key, there are no lights, no sounds, nothing.

The first order of business seems to be a new battery.

What battery should I buy?

An answer to that question will help greatly =)​

roeme - I don't know, I might have you beat on the 'less knowledge' I didn't even know what a pod filter was LOL.

Thank you for your welcome and thank you for your post, lots of useful information in it.

Comment

Well, I'd suggest you make friends with some folk who do know bikes. This is going to be a struggle for you, but there's lots of help here.
          Get yourself a voltmeter and learn how to use it. Get yourself a decent metric socket set and a set of JIS screwdrivers. The cross-head screws on your bike are not Phillips, no matter what they look like. If you use a phillips on these, you will surely strip them.

Use the services manual, get to the battery:
          With the seat off, unbolt the fuel tank at the rear and prop it up on something on top of the fame. You don't want to remove the tank and it's various hoses just yet, just prop it up in the rear so you can remove the rear fuel tank support, then the air-filter box under the seat to get to the battery. Test the battery. If dead, charge it. I'd recommend you get yourself a BatteryTender Junior or similar. Your going to need one anyway. https://www.batterytender.com/junior

Chances are you need to replace the battery.

As for replacement batteries, You can find the size in the manual, and get a plain old lead-acid battery, that you fill with electrolyte and charge it when you get it. That's going to be the cheapest. I'd recommend spending a little more and getting a sealed AGM battery, much cleaner. I found one on Amazon that was the exact size as the original battery, so that's what I got.
          This is the one I bought, been in the bike for 3 years now, still going strong. but I ride regularly, and when I don't, it's on the Battery Tender. I think the terminals are reversed from what what was originally on the bike. That's something you have to pay close attention to. Make sure you're connecting the correct wires to the correct terminals.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Space is a major consideration. Too tall and you won't get the air-filter box back in. too wide/long-wont fit in the battery box. it's a 12V -12AH battery. Easy to find on-line. YB14L

Oh, wait. All this talk about an air filter box, and I forgot you don't even have one.

This wiring diagram is the one for your bike, and is the same as found in the service manual.
          https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/stora...0tz_wiring.jpg

this wiring diagram is color and much easier to read. but has a few extra things that your bike does not, AFAIK, the license plate light and the extra brown wire in the headlight bucket. Otherwise, it's close enough for most things.
          https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/stora...0tz_wiring.jpg
          Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-02-2023, 06:16 PM.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Welcome aboard! Bike looks very nice. More than that, it looks proper. No luggage rack, no backrest, no sissy bar, no fairing, no windshield, etc. etc. etc.

You can be civil with such riders, but don't spend too much time with them. You might get ideas. SUZI might get ideas.

Welcome aboard!
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
              Get yourself a voltmeter and learn how to use it.
              Yeah.

Learning.

It's starting to dawn on me that what I thought was going to be a walk in the park, is actually me standing at the bottom of Mount Everest in my underpants.

I'm going to take a deep dive into the ocean of material available here.

I may be gone some time LOL.

Comment

Naaaah, to begin, 1) get a fresh battery, 2) make sure the fuel tank doesn't leak, 3) change the engine oil, and you can attempt to start and putter around.

_Then_ you can worry about Mt. Everest and handle all the stuff that comes up.
                #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Working...
                X