Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member, Hello from Indiana!

Hello all!

After taking an MSF course and keeping an eye out for a bike for a couple of years now, I am now the proud owner of my first bike, a 1979 GS750 that seems to be a solid survivor! Original owner put about 11k on it until the early 90's, where it mostly sat garaged and only got another 300 or so miles on it from them until now. Comes with a fairing and trunk from the era - never liked the looks of fairings much but I think this one's got some sort of charm to it. Fires right up, but may very well have some air leaks or other issues as it idles high under choke but dies without it. Bought new IRC Grand High Speed tires (the current ones are not from this millennium ), tubes, rim strips, a new petcock (gambling on an eBay repro), and a carb o-ring set (thanks Nessism!) for the carb rebuild that's sure to be in my future. Hoping to work through some of the recommended maintenance items to get 'er into fighting shape - definitely open to any suggestions from the form members here. Very much looking forward to the journey ahead, both in the garage and on the road!

​​​​
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    1979 Suzuki GS750

Welcome leon, Them old 750's were the start of the GS's and about as solid as you can get. My 1st st. bike was a "77" GS750. A buddy, down the rd. still has his old "79" GS750, the blue one, that he bought new in "79". I was with him when he bought it... Gosh, that was 44 yrs. ago... Waiting for your picture to get blown up, but from what I see, pretty nice looking old bike. Congrats.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Great to hear you started with a MSF course.
      Smart and may save you a few bucks on your insurance.
      Welcome to the site.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Unless I'm mistaken, that's a Windjammer 'SS' (your pic is very small). I would remove it and the bags and the backrest. Aren't summers warm enough in Indy?

Less weight and wind resistance for a beginner to deal with.

Welcome to the asylum!
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Welcome! There's a significant "nest" of GS-ers in Indiana.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

You going to join the group in Bedford next month? Many of those "nestlings" will be there.
            If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              Unless I'm mistaken, that's a Windjammer 'SS' (your pic is very small). I would remove it and the bags and the backrest. Aren't summers warm enough in Indy?

Welcome to the asylum!
              I put a backrest and small rack on my 850. I liked the look of the stock grab bar much better, but the backrest was handy for tying stuff to more securely than w/o it.

I never had a GS that needed ignition (timing adjustment?). Pre-'80 to best of my memory. Surely not too difficult...

Comment

Welcome to the asylum!
                Ignore the heretic. Windjammers are amongst mankind's finest creations.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post

Ignore the heretic. Windjammers are amongst mankind's finest creations.
                  Agreed! This sticker is proudly displayed on MY windjammer.

IMG_20230510_204455597.jpg
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                  1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                  LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

That's funny, No doubt, Windjammers are great for the folks that like fairings, even greater for folks that like Windjammer fairings... Thinking feelings may be different from those who may not like fairings.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Oh, man! When I told an 'outlaw' biker type his Harley was pretty, he flipped. Actually, I said something like, 'It's very pretty, too bad it won't go so fast.'

He challenged me to a race, and I immediately grabbed my helmet and asked him, "Quarter mile? Half mile?"

He said, "A state. Two states."

I had to be at work Monday morning, so I let him off the hook. (I was on my Kaw 900.)

I'll bet he had a cute dick. Cute and soft.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Oh, man! ...
                        you ever written comedy? you've got a knack for it

1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Originally posted by LeonAlistar View Post
                          Hello all!

After taking an MSF course and keeping an eye out for a bike for a couple of years now, I am now the proud owner of my first bike, a 1979 GS750 that seems to be a solid survivor! Original owner put about 11k on it until the early 90's, where it mostly sat garaged and only got another 300 or so miles on it from them until now. Comes with a fairing and trunk from the era - never liked the looks of fairings much but I think this one's got some sort of charm to it. Fires right up, but may very well have some air leaks or other issues as it idles high under choke but dies without it. Bought new IRC Grand High Speed tires (the current ones are not from this millennium ), tubes, rim strips, a new petcock (gambling on an eBay repro), and a carb o-ring set (thanks Nessism!) for the carb rebuild that's sure to be in my future. Hoping to work through some of the recommended maintenance items to get 'er into fighting shape - definitely open to any suggestions from the form members here. Very much looking forward to the journey ahead, both in the garage and on the road!

​​​​
                          Welcome.

Do look into the "Brown County" Rally. Is in about 4 weeks, In Bedford Indinai (we know, not Brown County).

Cant tell by pic (is small), but if that is WindJammer IV, I got a copy of the install manaul for that (is what I had on 1980 850G), that I could send to you. (drop message to me).
                          Fairing will allow you to ride further, and in lot colder weather... so concider that if you like riding (more than just being seen with a bike).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

"NW Indiana" you say.

Are some forum members in Valpo and Cedar Lake area.......

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome to the asylum!
                              Hi Rob

I plan to remove the trunk, backrest and (you are correct!) Windjammer SS until I get more comfortable with the bike, at which point I may put them back on for longer rides. One issue I'm running into as that the original headlight is gone - just the mounting ears remain. Would you happen to have any recommendations on where I could get a new (or gently used) one? Thanks, and thanks for the welcome!
                              1979 Suzuki GS750

Comment

Working...
                              X