New Forum Member and Questions Regarding My "New" 83 GS850L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

I and a lot of folks I know are running the Shinko 230, or perhaps the 712 if you like the looks of that one better.

I get about 3,000 miles out of them, normal people get 5K or more.
    Yep, many are running the Shinkos and are happy with them. Bwringer says he only gets about 3k miles, but he also likes it that that bike gets fresh rubber every year. It's also nice that a pair of Shinkos are about $150. If you install them yourself, great, if not, you will have to add mount and balance.

If you don't mind paying a bit more for something that will last a LOT longer, Dunlop Elite 4. They have sizes to fit your L, but not other GSes. Those tires go over 20k miles on larger touring bikes (Harleys, Goldwings, Ventures, etc.), no idea how long they will last on a GS.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

I run a Battleaxe in the back, I like them, they don't get a flat spot very easily, yet grip when leaned over, and because I have a 16" in the front, an Avon, which is actually very sweet.

Your GS850L is super clean. Those bikes have a lot of torque. I always liked that about the GS850 engine (plus no chain to clean up).

Comment

Having been on larger machines, I've shied away from Shinko, Kenda, Chen Shing, etc. I've come to trust Metzler and Avon.

My one V-Twin, an 03 Sportster, had Dunlops and they steered like a turd. Switching to Metzler 880's on that machine nearly doubled the lean and maneuverability.

I've never tried Bridgestones. A local shop quoted about $325 for a pair of 888's, more to mount them.

I've been considering the Harbor Freight bike lift. I have enough 2 wheel maintenance to justify the purchase.

I can recoup a hundred bucks right off the bat by pulling the GS wheels off myself for tire mounting. Once I sell the "old" Valkyrie to my friend, I can fit the lift in the garage!

Comment

Originally posted by jaytex1969 View Post
          Having been on larger machines, I've shied away from Shinko, Kenda, Chen Shing, etc. I've come to trust Metzler and Avon.

My one V-Twin, an 03 Sportster, had Dunlops and they steered like a turd. Switching to Metzler 880's on that machine nearly doubled the lean and maneuverability.

I've never tried Bridgestones. A local shop quoted about $325 for a pair of 888's, more to mount them.

I've been considering the Harbor Freight bike lift. I have enough 2 wheel maintenance to justify the purchase.

I can recoup a hundred bucks right off the bat by pulling the GS wheels off myself for tire mounting. Once I sell the "old" Valkyrie to my friend, I can fit the lift in the garage!

Shinkos are made in Korea, and don't belong in the same sentence as the horrible Chinese brands you mention. Whole 'nuther country and level of quality there!

Avon no longer makes tires for our machines.

Since you have a 16" rear, Metzeler has some good options. Same goes for Dunlop's Elite. I would avoid the Dunlop 404; it's a very cheaply made tire that never lasts long and gets very unpleasant as it wears.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

FWIW I've mounted up 4 pairs of Shinko 712s in the last two years and have liked them just fine, jury is out on longevity as I don't put that many miles on any of my bikes currently but they mount up and balance well (minimal weight needed, sometimes none), and seem to grip the road well. Brian just mounted a Shinko Raven on the back of my Bandit 1200, balanced out without needing any weight, no complaints yet. I've also bought several pairs of Kenda K270 dual sport tires and they likewise are generally well regarded as a "value" tire (not just "cheap and crappy").
            Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
            Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Comment

I, too, have been running Shinkos for several years. My needs are different, as I needed something knobbier for the dirt/gravel forest roads that would still behave well on-road. I found the 705 to be just the thing. I recently replace a rear 700 (it's a more aggressive knobby) with the 705 again because the 700 wore fairly quickly and didn't provide much more traction for me in the dirt than the 705. I haven't used any of their street-only tires, but I haven't seen anything in the quality of the Shinkos I've bought to give me pause. And the guy I trust to mount and balance them likes them.

Yes, I can and have mounted myself. I know I can if I have to. I'd just rather not.
              Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 06-05-2023, 04:54 PM.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I've ran several street Shinkos, with nothing neg. that has showed up. I still ride a little sporty, not aggressive. I ust'a always mount my own tires & balance with beads, but these days just easier to have it done... I've not got lazier, just older...well, maybe a bit of both.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Ah, found it...

Here's my torture test report on the Shinko 230 from the fall of 2012. Please note that the prices given are from many years ago, but the basic idea is about the same. And Avon stopped selling tires for our machines recently as well.

Shinko 230 Torture Test - The GSResources Forums
                  https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/forum/technical-forums/tires-suspension-brakes/60481-shinko-230-torture-test

At that time, I put a lot more miles on my GS850G, so the more expensive but longer-lived tires made better financial sense on a cost per mile basis. Nowadays, since I ride this bike far less, I prefer to spoon on a fresh set of Shinkos every year or so rather than take longer to wear out far more expensive tires.

As I mentioned, the Avons are NLA, and since making the switch to the "Shinko a Year" plan I haven't personally tried any of the newer offerings. I have no idea if there's a similar longer lasting tire. Perhaps the Dunlop Elite, since it's available in 16" rears.

Then again, the only truly, horrifyingly defective tire I've seen in person was a brand-new Dunlop Elite that crumbled like bubblegum, prompting a complete circus of a day sourcing a replacement in rural Illinois... Still, I've worn out stacks of other Dunlops on this other bikes, so generally they're a top line brand.
                  Last edited by bwringer; 06-06-2023, 05:03 PM.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                  X