A Late Introduction from Kelowna BC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Late Introduction from Kelowna BC

Hello! Some of you know me already, as I've already posted a couple times to get some help for my bike.

It occurred to me today that I hadn't introduced myself yet, so I'm here to rectify that.

I'm a new rider and after borrowing a friend's Rebel 500 to get my licence, I picked up a 1981 GS650G with 47,000 on the clock for $900 CAD (~700 USD) back in May. It needed some work after sitting for 5 years, but it kinda ran. It needed a new battery, and the bike would stall if you pulled in the clutch with no throttle input while riding.

Besides the usual changing of fluids, I've found and replaced some missing parts (details here), fixed the stalling issue with a valve adjustment (details here), and found out that the battery was dead because the charging system is dead (details here). Thanks to everyone who's helped me get this far!

She's not the prettiest GS out there, but she's mine and she's almost ready to ride just in time for the tail end of the season!

Suzuki GS650G.jpg
    1981 GS650G - Burnie is ugly but running!

A belated introduction gets a belated welcome to the site, rusty.
    Perfect attitude..."but she's mine".
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Pretty always takes second place to functional. Congrats on the functional GS from another seminewb/mostly lurker.
      '79 GS550L - Current Project, eventually for Motocamping
      '80 XJ650 - Eventual Ratbike project.
      '15 SR400 - Daily Ride/Commuter

Comment

If I gave you a welcome back then, it don't matter here's another one. Congrats, Good you're getting it sorted out. Just by the pictures, a little soap and water and a bunch of rubbing, that thing should polish up pretty dang nice.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

The best riding is right now actually. The smoke from the forest fires has subsided a bit and most of the dangerous tourists have went home, also not too hot for when the riding gear is on. Welcome.
          1986 1150EF
          2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Welcome!

You've come to the right place! And you've picked up a great bike to ride and learn. I have three GS650G's I'm my garbage right now, my wife thinks there's only two. I am just up the road in Kamloops and would be happy to help you if/when you are facing your next repair or improvement challenge. And as a previous post stated September is THE BEST MONTH to ride in BC!
            GS550T 1981
            GS850G 1983
            GS650G 1982
            GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

I've always liked the styling of those 650s. I had an '82, but it was an "L", with full Vetter gear. Ugly to my eyes, but a dream to ride in a rainstorm.

I'm just across the bridge from you (Central Okanaganites will know what this means), so maybe see you riding around.

Comment

Originally posted by BeardmanSam View Post
                Pretty always takes second place to functional. Congrats on the functional GS from another seminewb/mostly lurker.
                It's not quite functional yet, I still have to actually replace the parts of the charging system. But that should be done within the week, so I'm excited!

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                If I gave you a welcome back then, it don't matter here's another one. Congrats, Good you're getting it sorted out. Just by the pictures, a little soap and water and a bunch of rubbing, that thing should polish up pretty dang nice.
                She definitely passes the 10-foot judgment, but you get up close and her paint starts showing it's age, never mind the chrome!

But that's just another project for the off season.

Good to know that I haven't missed the bast part of the riding season in my area quite yet...For those members local to the Okanagan, what's your favourite place to go riding? Any particular roads you enjoy? Looking for a bucket list of great places nearby!​
                Last edited by rustyspoon; 09-10-2023, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Favourite local roads? Well, naturally, Westside Road, but it's not open yet because of the wild fire. Hwy 33 to Rock Creek, and Osoyoos, then back up the Valley is a nice day trip, but, naturally, it's not complete because of the rock slide. Sounds like we live in a disaster area, don't it. Lots of other good roads in South Okanagan, Green River Road, White Lake Road, or just down to Area 27 to watch the cars, and sometimes bikes, roar around the track (free to watch). North Okanagan, Armstrong, Salmon Valley Road to Salmon Arm is a very good area.

Comment

Yes, Falkland over to Chase or Tappen. Westwold over to Merritt. Lots of nice curvy roads with not much traffic on them. Up to Big White and back is a good one that isn't too far or too isolated for a new bike. Hwy 33 to Rock Creek and back is even a decent run, I was over it Friday and traffic wasn't too bad. Hopefully you have a riding partner as with a new old bike it's not good to ride too far at first in case of teething issues. Here in Vernon I'm really lucky, I live on the lake and I have a nice little run over to Ellison park I do that is about 20km from my house and all along the lake. gsride.jpg It's perfect for when I do work on a bike and want to try it out. Another good one I can do is a circle up to Predator Ridge then over the the highway and Kalamalka Lake and back home. It takes a while with a new old bike to get confident to take them on a longer ride.
                    1986 1150EF
                    2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Hi Rusty, great intro with pics and details on "your" GS and your plans to get some ridetime in. We are just at the start of the best time to ride here in South East Queensland, Spring. Days are fine and clear 26 Celsius and perfect. Later in Summer it gets a bit warm and humid but still better than wet,cold windy riding in Winter. Our Winter is nothing like North America with snow and ice and sub zero temps. Coldest days in Winter where I am are minus 3 Celsius early in the morning but by 10 am if the Sun is out it will be around 17 - 19 Celsius.

Cheers.
                      Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 09-13-2023, 05:18 AM.
                      Shin-Ken 1074
                      1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
                      1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

I forgot to throw my sweater on this morning under the riding jacket. A bit chilly on the 30 minute ride as it was 8c, 28c on the way home though!
                        1986 1150EF
                        2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Originally posted by Big Block View Post
                          I forgot to throw my sweater on this morning under the riding jacket. A bit chilly on the 30 minute ride as it was 8c, 28c on the way home though!
                          My bike is having some trouble starting first thing in the morning, but it's in a carport tent that seems to be colder than ambient in the morning for some reason... 9C ambient this morning, but felt like 6C in the tent. Just had to walk it out into the sun for a couple minutes and it started right up!
                          Last edited by rustyspoon; 09-15-2023, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X