No announcement yet.

New 850 Ride. Big Road Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An honest mistake that could happen to anyone… I know how to count poles in a rotor, but how do you tell which type stator it is?

I guess you could ask the PO what he bought.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ok, trying to breath deeply. The stator that came out looks identical to the one I just purchased from RMStator. Both have 18 windings.
      How do I check and see if the rotor matches?

Was just cleaning the surfaces to install. Man I hope you're not right but it's sounding pretty reasonable.

Let me know how to check the rotor

Thanks.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2014, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Roll something like a drill bit around inside the rotor, see how many places it sticks to. It will stick either 12 or 18 times.

I don't know how to count them on the stator. I don't think it's just counting the number of coils, more electrical magicery than that I think.

Comment

But I bet your '79 has a 12 pole rotor.

Comment

I get 8 sticking points near as I can tell.

RM stator is closed for Jean Baptist... PO is off on a trip.

So what does 8 sticking points mean. An 8 pole rotor?

How do I confirm what the stator is? Its the one that comes up on RMstator when you plug in 79 gs850G

Comment

Alright I have a good way to find out. Install the new stator and check the voltage. I have to anyway. Can't wait around here for two more days to source a rotor.

If you guys are right, then I'm heading out to Candian Tire for a car battery. Either way I'm hitting the road for Toronto tomorrow.

I'll let you know. If it's the car battery option I'll be looking for any warnings, suggestions, tips, but let's see if I get lucky and the new stator works.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertGS View Post
                I get 8 sticking points near as I can tell.
                8/2=4 4X3=12

(my GS1000 3 segments of 4=12 12/2=6 6x3=18)

Your bike needs a twelve pole stator.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Awesome!!!!

Since I now have two perfectly good 18 pole stators, I'm thinking I may as well get the appropriate rotor.

Hitting the road tommorow morning. Ill order the rotor from RMStator and have it waiting for me when I get back.

Im off to buy a car battery right now. Couple of questions. What is the approximate voltage required to start the 850 with electronic ignition. (sorry for the grammar, keybord switched to french or something). Besides keeping the lights off and checking the car battery at stops and keeping the motorcycle batter charged as backup and charging both up each night.... what suggestions, warnings, bright ideas do you have for a guy about to try riding 5000 kms with no charging system.

Thanks, Im off tommorow morning regardless.

Heres hoping there are no other lovely surprises with the bike.

Comment

I don't see what he's doing with his math, but he seems to understand. 12 pole, well that sucks, but at least you know now instead of finding out 200 miles or so along the way. Kick start it, lights off if it's safe to do so, keep it cruising fast, stop and start and low speed stuff stuff drains the battery as fast but doesn't get you much closer to home.

You have a battery charger to carry, right? A way of tying the battery down tight?
                    Wires that screw on securely but can be disconnected easily to bring the battery in to the hotel room to charge?

Remember above all else, have fun. We want to see pictures of this journey in it's full epicness!

Comment

Thanks Tom, great suggestions.

Got a good battery that'll fit my car back home (why not). Yes I have a good charger. Will be staying at campsites with electric or at motels in small towns (cheaper).

We got three black rubber tie downs with metal hooks at the end. The battery's going in a small backpack and is tied down with those. It's not going anywhere. I bought proper car connectors long enough to go under the seat to the bike connectors. Left the bike battery (charged) in it's spot but electric taped over the poles. So it'll be emergency backup. Connected the car battery good and tight to the bike's electrics and electric taped the connections well.

Went for a good ride and it seems to work great. Have to adjust the throttle and clutch after switching out my handlebars.

Ok I'll be stopping frequently to walk around the bike... listening close. Pretty full tool kit along with me.

What the hell. I'll take your advice Tom and have lots of fun. (as long as she gets me home)

Will take lots of pictures.

Comment

Adventures like these impart wisdom and humility

It's going to be one helluva story to tell again someday ...

Imagine -- Sitting around telling lies with your buddys, having a few libations ..and starting a story ...

"One time I rode a bike across country with a bad charging system using car battery, some wire, and rubber straps..."
                        Currently in the Stable :
                        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by RobertGS View Post
                          (as long as she gets me home)

Will take lots of pictures.
                          She'll get you home. It is a GS after all, and a mostly well maintained one it sounds like.

Agree with the pictures, We are waiting.

Comment

I don't know HTH I missed this thread, but you can always check with Murray over at Modern, if you are still in the GVRD:

he loves these old beasties.
                            '83 GS650G
                            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

My bet is that you can do better than 500 miles on that car battery, before the drain is noticed in the bikes running. The secrete is to keep on the move as fast as you can....

V
                              Gustov
                              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                              81 GS 1000 G
                              79 GS 850 G
                              81 GS 850 L
                              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                              80 GS 550 L
                              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                              2002 Honda 919
                              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I'm betting farther, I'll guess 700 with lights off highway speeds and no kickstarting. Could be more but I don't have a clue how much current that ignition draws.

Who else has a guess?

Comment

Working...
                                X