No announcement yet.

I'm back baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad news time, my beloved bike was stolen last week Wednesday from right in front of my work. No one saw nothing, no security cameras in the vicinity. Of course she wasn't insured because of her age, the only insurers willing to take it on was too expensive to afford. This was my only transport I have....

I don't have money for a new bike but I was generously sponsored a 1100 Katana which needs a lot pf work, but my employer is willing to help me. Expect pics when I get a chance.

Also I'm thinking of having the bike look very mean, matt black with gloss red accents?
    Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2015, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Hman, that is sad news. I guess the only hope is it may show up for sale somewhere, if the police can't find it.
      The "ugly-beater-won't-get-stolen" is a thought, but having to ride one might be a depressing reminder that the evil scum won't let you have anything decent. and anyways. as soon as it catches their eye, they will be trying to wheel it away. I know, it goes without saying... but Better to get a lock-up for the next one.

Comment

Yeah, I won't be parking the next one outside at work. My boss also offered to have it insured under the companies insurance which would make for an affordable premium. I also intend installing a alarm on it for some extra peace of mind.

Comment

per black matt and red highlights....homejob, spraybombs etc, painted, just a few thoughts but summing my bs up, I'd do as you did with your first bike-make it your own as you go along because a fast overcoat of badness won't stick to a good bike. Hows that for philosophy? It might be more maintenance than it's worth unless you let it go long enough to look like a dirty old barbecue but it's just my theory that follows....
          Mat paint has no protection. No clear coat, no wax so it's going to be punished and in a way is not so tough as it looks. ....it is actually shiny paint with fillers in it. Is there a flat clear overcoat you can use? .... On tanks and sidecovers it'll be ok but simple paint jobs can get beaten off on the road and look sh*tty in a short while especially on the front of the engine and forks - however, on rims, it's protected in the shadow of the tire.
          I'd stay away from the engine... A lot of so-called spraybomb engine paints don't stick to aluminum very well and anywhere else on aluminum, it's a good idea to use a zinc-chromate primer first too.

if you have to paint headers, barbecue paint works about 6 months and is easy to recoat- it's best feature is you can find it in a can to brush on. It's a mat but is not exactly black- Lately, I've had pretty decent luck with Brake-caliper paint versus engine paints but it is a semigloss and needs a little more care to cure it on the bike. You have to start the bike several times and kind of work the curing process down the pipes. It's still not a powdercoat by anymeans!! and I'm still in testing mode on it.
          Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-21-2015, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X