X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small update.

Ordered my Shinkos!!!
    100/90 18 front and 110/90 18 rear.

Also have a new brake lever/master cylinder coming in that should be delivered today.

Comment

where u at in kc? im from kc, (airport area) but currently live out of town. come see parents on holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by shootmymime View Post
        where u at in kc? im from kc, (airport area) but currently live out of town. come see parents on holidays.
        I am in the airport area myself. There are some awesome back roads around.

Comment

Don't forget some new inner tubes! those 712's are tubeless tires-not a big issue I expect- I have tubeless tires too but my rims are cast, so report back on how they fit your spoked rims. My tubeless-type tyre (old stock Shinko tourmaster 3.00x18) was a tight fit to get the last of the bead over the edge...
          I have 19" front tire on another 400T and the fender forks mount is identical, so you should be fine with those 18" without moving anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
            Don't forget some new inner tubes! those 712's are tubeless tires-not a big issue I expect- I have tubeless tires too but my rims are cast, so report back on how they fit your spoked rims. My tubeless-type tyre (old stock Shinko tourmaster 3.00x18) was a tight fit to get the last of the bead over the edge...
            I have 19" front tire on another 400T and the fender forks mount is identical, so you should be fine with those 18" without moving anything.
            I didn't think I would need tubes with the tubeless tires...? Is it a fit/safety issue?

Comment

Originally posted by gs450s View Post
              I didn't think I would need tubes with the tubeless tires...? Is it a fit/safety issue?
              Take a look at the parts diagram and/or manual for your bike. If you see tubes in the pictures, then your options are:

1) buy new tubes
              2) take your chances with the old tubes
              3) adapt your rims to run tubeless

And as I learned on my 850GL, just because one tire has a tube in it doesn't mean the other will as well.

There are people here who have done #3 above and say everything has been hunky-dory ever since. Apparently you have to make the valve stem hole wider. And buy new valve stems. Others say it's riskier (from a safety perspective) for reasons I don't fully recall. I myself run tubes, even though they're a thorough pain in the ass when it comes to fitting new tires.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Tires have been mounted and balanced. Went with no tubes.
                Brake parts should be delivered today too.

Comment

oh sorry I forgot which bike I was looking at! too many tabs open-No spokes! -your rims are the cast-same as mine to look at except mine are just alloy finish with dark grey paint-not gold like yours.Mine are supposed to have tubes BUT others here have been successful just putting tubeless on and when I compare the rims to some slightly newer Tubeless rims the only mechanical difference I see is the airvalve...So you found a valve to fit or drilled them out..?because yours seem to have the tube-valve in the pix.
                  Last edited by Gorminrider; 09-03-2014, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Not sure if you can tell what kind of valves the new ones here.
                    I talked to the tech before he mounted them and he agreed I wouldn't need tubes.
                    I know he put new valves in but he didn't mention what kind or anything about them.

Comment

Hey mate, not sure how I missed this but nice find! I haven't caught up on the details but I do run tubes in my '82 450E (same wheels as yours). I run Avon Roadriders, 90/90-18 front and 100/90-18 rear.
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

The spacers are dampers. They are there to glued the motor to stop the "fin ring", which is the transmitting noise from within the motor out to the surrounding area by damping their vibrations. Yamaha RDs were the first bikes I remember them on, but there well may have been earlier bikes using them.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

those look an awful lot like tube valves to me,gs450s, so I wonder if the mech didn't have second thoughts...but they will work fine,if so.

The spacers are dampers.
                          and these are news to me,850combat- this is only the second Suzuki in this forum I've seen these on, though I do see them on all the new Royal Enfields... now I am wondering if I should get some to see what they will do for me! I learn stuff here- I do!

Comment

Bike is fully back together.
                            Plastidipped the wheels black while they were off.
                            Rebuilding the brake caliper did the trick so everything now works as it should.

Comment

Took the bike out today and put a little over 50 miles on it.
                              Couldn't believe the difference the new tires made.

Comment

but Where's the fender? you'll get dirt all over a pretty bike? and lose what fork-bracing it has too.

Comment

Working...
                                X