I'm back! '82 GS1100E, champagne silver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm back! '82 GS1100E, champagne silver

Picked up my new-to-me bike last week, August 23. She's in pretty great shape cosmetically, minor scuffs and scratches in spots but definitely adequate for my purposes which is to RIDE THE DARN BIKE!

A little under 25k miles on the clock. Most of the bike is original.

Changes from stock + recent maintenance include:
    Supertrapp 4-1 pipes, chrome silver, tunable
    Aftermarket oil cooler
    SS braided line in front
    Newish brake pads
    Newish battery
    Newish oil and filter
    Lower bars, bar-end mirrors
    Recovered seat (some imperfections)

Next steps:
    Ordered new tires last night: Michelin Commander II front, Pilot Activ rear
    Suspension will be next as it's pretty much shot currently. Weighing different options here and trying to figure out how crazy I want to go (how much I want to spend)
    Smells a little bit rich so I'll start by replacing the air filter, probably opt for a K&N.

Once it's done those I'll probably try to leave it alone and just ride for awhile before adding/changing anything else.

1100e.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2015, 07:38 PM. Reason: OCD

Welcome back to LIFE ! ! ! Damn fine looking machine you found there!
    '83 GS 1100T
    The Jet

sigpic
    '95 GSXR 750w
    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

New tires arrived today

IMG_20150827_191214530.jpg
      Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2015, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Niece bike.

champagne silver
        ; my second favorite color on an EZ/ED .

Comment

Thanks!

I dig the link in your signature. I just started reading into gsxr conversions and might keep an eye open for a front end down the line. Think that will take longer than I'm willing to wait now though, just gonna bump up the suspension as is and make it behave decently.

Comment

Cool. I dig that you purchased it from another member. Looks great. Enjoy.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Old air filter

Air box

Cleaned

Side by side, new K&N ready to go in
              Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2015, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Nice lookin' bike you've got there. Who would have left that crappy old air filter in there?

Careful of those GSXR suspension conversions. It could be a black hole of time & money!

Comment

suspension

Originally posted by Glyn View Post
                  Nice lookin' bike you've got there. Who would have left that crappy old air filter in there?

Careful of those GSXR suspension conversions. It could be a black hole of time & money!
                  =P the K&N sure does look nice in comparison. Nice to let the bike breathe!

re: suspension i hear you on the black hole. i think if i do a GSXR mod that'll be a long term project for me... just sit back and wait for a great deal to show up, not really go out of my way looking for it (ideally full front end including forks, triples, calipers and wheel(s)

for now i'm going to just do a more reasonable upgrade. haven't made up my mind 100%, haven't ordered anything yet, but I'm thinking i'll just get a set of progressive springs for the front, new oil. re: shocks, i'm going back and forth between Hagons for $220 13", preload adjust only, , vs Ikons for $400, can order custom lengths (might go to 13.5), preload + 4click external rebound adjustment, rebuildable...

haven't been riding it much - i got my new tires but haven't spooned them on yet, i'm waiting for some balancing beads to arrive, should be here in a few days.

Comment

IMHO, not worth the gsxr conversion, but I understand the earlier 750 front end from a SRAD was the way to go. I could be wrong, and good luck finding one that the front end hasn't been wrecked. I like your front end ideas, Progressives were always good to me, new oil is a cheap and worthwhile investment, might as well throw seals if you decide to go that far. Then you have a clean slate. They are 30+ year old seals.
                    I had Ikon ( koni ?) on my last one. I thought they were a little harsh. Might want to save a few bucks and try the Hagons. I guess someone that has had them both would be a better guide.

Balancing beads? Sorry, I don't agree with that one at all. I like the Luddite balance myself. ( Balancing shaft and weights) That's the way I do it. My new one has a slightly higher top speed than yours and that is the way it was done. YMMV.

I hope you have a LOT of fun with it. She's a strong runner, and that air filter alone should unleash 5-10 HP!

Gonna put in tubes, or try the tubeless route?

Comment

I think you made a very good choice on the front Commander. I have a Commander I on the front of my 850 which already has over 15,000 miles and does not seem to show any wear (gulp)! The older Commander always bites in tight (greasy asphalt to concrete surface) corners and is very smooth and linear even on rain-grooved concrete. Quite frankly, I never made any attempt to balance it since new.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        Niece bike.

champagne silver
                        ; my second favorite color on an EZ/ED .
                        Hey, that's no chick bike. Niece??
                        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                        1983 GS 1100 G
                        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

arghh... tubes.

Well... went to change the tires and was surprised to find tubes in both the front and rear. The rims are NOT marked "Tubeless Tire Applicable" which surprised me as well. I remember my '79 had one tubed, one tubeless and I'd have thought an '82 would definitely have one, if not both, tubeless rims.

Looks like for whatever reason these 1100E were tubed, go figure. I understand that plenty of people run these rims without tubes, but I'll probably stick with tubes, at least maybe until i have my first flat :/

helpful link here from a previous discussion of the same... http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...be-or-tubeless
                          Last edited by Guest; 10-04-2015, 01:14 PM.

Comment

I like your front end ideas, Progressives were always good to me, new oil is a cheap and worthwhile investment, might as well throw seals if you decide to go that far. Then you have a clean slate.
                            When you tear em down I would also recommend new fork bushings. Have you tried to loosen the damper rod allen screws ? Might want to add those two screws/bolts to the order.

that air filter alone should unleash 5-10 HP!
                            Dream on.....

Welcome to the EZBoyez club !!
                            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by shwaz View Post
                              =P the K&N sure does look nice in comparison. Nice to let the bike breathe!

re: suspension i hear you on the black hole. i think if i do a GSXR mod that'll be a long term project for me... just sit back and wait for a great deal to show up, not really go out of my way looking for it (ideally full front end including forks, triples, calipers and wheel(s)

for now i'm going to just do a more reasonable upgrade. haven't made up my mind 100%, haven't ordered anything yet, but I'm thinking i'll just get a set of progressive springs for the front, new oil. re: shocks, i'm going back and forth between Hagons for $220 13", preload adjust only, , vs Ikons for $400, can order custom lengths (might go to 13.5), preload + 4click external rebound adjustment, rebuildable...

haven't been riding it much - i got my new tires but haven't spooned them on yet, i'm waiting for some balancing beads to arrive, should be here in a few days.
                              I read another thread on here last week where the consensus was in favor of the sonic springs over the progressives. Just something to consider before placing your order. Check it out.
                              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X