Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member from Upstate NY with a broken GS

Hello people, new lady checking in. My name is Teegan
    I purchased a 77' GS550 last summer and that was my first bike. I spent all winter restoring it and updating things. I came across the GS Resources many times while asking the internet questions about my bike but I have resisted joining (until now). I got the bike running but 300 miles into my first season of riding someone tried to take a left turn in front of me and ended up hitting me. Miraculously, I came out of the situation without more than bruising and whiplash. I can't say the same for the bike, however. The engine is quite compromised. Everything else is salvageable. Since the kid who hit me was 100% at fault I was given enough money from the insurance company to purchase a 03' honda shadow spirit 750 and I was able to finish out the riding season. Also... I kept the GS and I am trying to restore it AGAIN. I will need an engine. If someone wouldn't mind pointing me to the right forum/thread where I can ask a question about engine and frame compatibility I would really appreciate that. There is SO much information here and all of you seem so knowledgeable... I look forward to learning even more. Maybe I will post my build? Unless it would be redundant.

I am I supposed to say other things about myself? I don't know. New York is cold. I studied mechanical engineering in college. Until recently I was an athlete who played soccer and lacrosse. Motorcycling has so far appeared to replace those passions because my knees can no longer take sports. I lift things up and put them down at the gym though... Any questions?

Welcome to the site Teegan, sure glad you survived the accident. Hows the frame on the bike look? No point in starting a rebuild if there's damage to the frame.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Welcome. Sorry to hear of your incident, but happy you came out ok.
      Feel free to volunteer as much or little info about yourself as you choose.

Regarding the bike and its damage... post some pics so the fine people here can give better advice on how to go. Maybe the engine can be saved. Good luck.

Edit/add........

Good point AZR....
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

That was certainly a concern of mine. I have eyeballed it as carefully as I could and I have seen no damage. From what I understand, besides taking it to a frame builder the only thing I can do to see if there is going to be a misalignment is to get the wheels back on and do a string method. I failed to do that before I took everything off. I was trying to get down to the frame quickly so I could paint it before the winter set it. Couldn't move quickly enough so it didn't matter I guess. Swing arm, triple tree parts, chain guard, etc is painted por-15 black and frame is next. Then rolling chassis build. I'll check what I can at that point. Any suggestions besides a frame builder which I don't have the money for??

Comment

I will post pictures tomorrow!

Comment

Welcome to the site and I'm sorry to hear of your situation. There are a few junk yards including one in New Hampshire that might be able to help you out - http://www.drumhillcycle.com/Used_Suzuki_Parts

If you don't mind the shipping then there is Steele's (www.steelescycle.com) in Denver that, the last time I went there a few years ago, has a decently sized collection of GS bikes. There are also quite a few members in the Denver area that could help you look there.

Otherwise, post up here what you need and I'm sure someone will be able to help
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Depending on what state the motor and frame is in, keep an eye out for complete bikes, perhaps non runners. They can be picked up for less than the sum of their parts often with easily sorted issues.
              I sense a determination to rise from the ashes so whatever you have to scavenge it will still be the original machine for all intents and purposes
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

makeitso, if that's a star trek thing you're definitely in the right place. lot's of trekkies here it seems. possibly outnumbered by those goofy star wars kooks but whatever.

i've got a 550 motor in my shed, taking up space. it's complete except i may have stolen the shims. i'm in western ny. pm me if you might want it. *cheap*
                2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                82 gs1100L probably the next project
                1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

howdy neighbor!....i'm from the Fingerlakes/Syracuse area!

Comment

Welcome, from the Capital/Saratoga region
                    1979 GS 1000e
                    1967 Triumph Bonneville
                    1986 Honda VFR 750
                    2014 Indian Vintage
                    2015 KLR 650
                    2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
                    2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
                    2023 Triumph Tiger 1200
                    And so on...

sigpic

Comment

Eli69 - definitely a star trek reference And I might take you up on that if I can't find a 750 engine that fits the frame

Thanks for those links. I am attempting to get some pictures on this thread. It looks like I can only attach one file per post or something. This first was as purchased:
                      Original.jpg

what I would really like to do is just put a 750 engine in the frame I already have. There wasn't very much damage to the rest of the bike at all and I have bought some parts already to jazz up the next build. The reason I wanted a little more power is because when I had the 550 on the highway (which I need to be on sometimes) it felt like I had to push it too hard for comfort and the bike doesn't have much more left to give. I figure that if I am going through all this effort, and the mounting holes are the same anyway, I might as well give myself some more power.

Comment

Here is the first restore:
                        First Restore.jpg

I lowered it a little because I was just learning and I wasn't 100% comfortable... So I had to do some nonsense to the back end.

Comment

Here you can see from the accident the points were smashed and the oil cap shearedPoints.jpg

Comment

And lastly, the exhaust was crushed and so was the mounting hole for the header bolt:
                            Exhaust.jpg
                            I had a couple broken signals and a broken mirror too... Oh and a bent footrest.

(sorry about all the individual posts. Not sure what to do about this picture thing yet)

Comment

If you use a site like Photobucket then you'll be able to post up to 10 full-sized pictures per post.

I'm not as familiar with all of the bikes as many others but I don't believe the 550 frame is big enough for the 750 engine
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X