No announcement yet.

New Member from Upstate NY with a broken GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the site from another newbie.

I also have a 550 and have researched the more power topic. From my searches i found that a gs650 top end can ne swapped and keep the 550 cams for some additional juice. But there is some work needed/grinding filing required on the cylinder sleeves that go into the case for clearance issues.

As well as a gsx750 engine from 82-93 (all air/oil cooled) supposedly fit with the need to make an extension bracket for the front mount in order for it to fit. The early gsx750 motors from i believe 82-88 maybe 89 were air cooled. Later were oil cooled. I dont like to referance other sites but it was done by a member on the caferacer forum or gixxer forum. Dont recall which one.

Do a google search for gs550 650 top end swap or gs550 750 swap.

Also all 550 motors from 82 down were the same. In 83 they changed to a different piston design and 4 valve heads. As well as a dual carb setup i believe. But if your doing a complete swap with carbs the 83^ 550 should work. But you would need the exhaust to match, which shouldnt be an issue since yours got smashed.

Correct me if im wrong gsr veteran gurus.

Nice restoration btw.

Comment

You need a set of case savers on your replacement, whatever it happens to be.
      Some don't like them, but they prevent a minor shunt or drop turning into a long walk home because there's a hole in the casing.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
      X