1982 GS1100G Brat Build!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MechMessiah
    Am I the only one confused by this being called a Brat Bike. No hard tail, no springer seat, the only brat bike element I see are the shorty pipes. Owner seems to keep saying he's happy with how i turned out so it sounds like he's done modding it. I just don't see brat bike, more of a Cafe/scrambler hybrid.
    You're thinking "bobber" bud. This is a brat.

Comment

Originally posted by sprout View Post
      Hey, if you're on two wheels then you're cool in my eye.
      My feelings exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
        The motor would look much better swapped into this.
        Already have another 850 in the works. Both motors will be staying in their respective bikes.
        2016-05-05 09.58.08 1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Austinaslink View Post
          (...) I'm building this bike for my own pleasure, and don't plan on changing it to suit your preferences. (...) Thanks to those of you with an open mind and for acknowledging my hard work.
          That's all fine and dandy, and it looks well made. The issue here is/was the lack of mufflers. On a bike intended to be ridden, that's not a question of preference, but of attitude (and in my country, law).

I noticed you took off the fairing - I think it works very well.

I'd be interested in a better shot (and source) of the grips.
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

So what I'm getting from this thread is many people on here hate loud pipes and like to call people names for having them. I'm pretty sure your classifying a small group of young punk kid riders with flip flops into a larger group of experienced riders who can tune bikes and build em. Why don't most of you go tell Burt Munroe that his motorcycle is too loud and he's an asshat. Or go tell Valentino Rossini that you can't really here yourself complain while at the GP race and his bike is too loud. Really, Most these guys talking Sh** are ridiculous.

Comment

Burt Monroe and Valentino Rossi most likely have better things to do than scare old ladies and wake up babies with ridiculously hacked up ex motorcycles.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

And their fast bikes with loud pipes are for "closed course, competition use only". Only selfish wannabes and losers confuse the two.

Comment

Glad we're on the same page bud. These guys need something to complain about, I'm happy to give them the opportunity. If anything, I like my bikes louder so people can hear me as an additional safety measure. Bikes are meant to be loud in my opinion. Here's more pictures of the bike. Straight pipes and all.

Comment

I've put about 4k miles on the bike since completing. Bike runs and rides flawlessly. Only real issue is some minor clutch slip when the bike is cold. New clutch plates, springs and gaskets are on the way. As for exhaust, I plan on installing a MAC 4:1 with a reverse cone muffler and wrapping the whole system. Kind of like on this CB750 I built.

Comment

Originally posted by oldisschool View Post
                      So what I'm getting from this thread is many people on here hate loud pipes and like to call people names for having them. I'm pretty sure your classifying a small group of young punk kid riders with flip flops into a larger group of experienced riders who can tune bikes and build em. Why don't most of you go tell Burt Munroe that his motorcycle is too loud and he's an asshat. Or go tell Valentino Rossini that you can't really here yourself complain while at the GP race and his bike is too loud. Really, Most these guys talking Sh** are ridiculous.
                      We're talking street bikes here, not GP bikes.

But, you already knew that.

Ridiculous, indeed...

Comment

Nice picture. Looks good. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

These guys need something to complain about, I'm happy to give them the opportunity.
                          Off-Topic, but that doesn't read very mature.

As for exhaust, I plan on installing a MAC 4:1 with a reverse cone muffler and wrapping the whole system.
                          Re. the wrap; they can and often do look quite cool; though on some pipes, they can make the whole thing look very fat - out of proportion to the other visuals of the bike.
                          I'd recommend comparing wrapped and unwrapped and decide what you like more.

If anything, I like my bikes louder so people can hear me as an additional safety measure. Bikes are meant to be loud in my opinion.
                          Well there's a difference between loud and no muffler...Re. the safety measure; don't say that. It's a ridiculous argument when you think about it: By this logic, everybody should drive
                          around in tanks. Cause y'know safety: You're loud, you're big, you're armored. People will notice you.

Oh wait. The others have upgraded to tanks as well by the same reasoning.

Now you're not louder, not bigger, and comparably armored.

Hm. Battleships?

In all seriousness; I'm looking forward to what you'll make out of this bike, the CB's picture is a nice template.
                          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Quite a bit of the response has been limited to loud noise.

Like others, I greatly dislike unnecessary noise as it contributes nothing at all to riding safety and is guaranteed to annoy a great many people, mostly pedestrians and those in the homes that are being passed.

Contrary to claims of increased safety, it actually has no effect at all on other drivers who are ahead of the bike and only is heard by some drivers while they are being passed by the bike or while at traffic lights, as their windows are closed and their radios as ON. Those who are close behind the bike will hear the noise, and will almost certainly be annoyed by the noise, but it cannot be fairly said that that contributes to the rider's safety .

Personally, I decline offers to ride with anyone who has a loud exhaust unless I can ride ahead of them.

I do this because, as long as I am ahead of them, I will only barely hear the noise, or, if there is more than a couple of seconds of space between us, then I will probably hear nothing at all.

All that said, it is your bike and you should do it up the way you want it to be, then ride it and enjoy it.
                            "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

People who ride on public roads with open pipes (cars, pickups, or motorcycles) are a$$holes. Period.

Loud pipes do not "save lives", since the noise is not all that noticeable when approaching a car from the rear (which is where it might be of some use). The noise is only noticed once the motorcycle is even with or past the car, so it's only an annoyance, not a warning. When an approaching motorcycle is loud, once the bike is close enough to the car to be audible to the car driver, it is of no real use. In any situation where increased noticeability would be of use (i.e. crowded streets where the car might make a left turn in front of the bike), the exact source of the noise is going to be dissipated by the surrounding traffic. It will not bring attention to the bike because the car driver will just tune it out as background traffic noise.

Unnecessarily subjecting others (particularly pedestrians and people in their homes and in parks) to such loud noise is the height of selfishness and immaturity. It is also illegal in every developed nation.

During the spring of 1998, when I had a three year old and a newborn at home, there was an a$$hole that lived down the road from us who purchased/modified an open piped metric cruiser over the winter. We lived on the very edge of town, where the speed limit dropped from 40 to 30 mph (It dropped from 55 to 40 about 1/4 mile to the south). This $hithead would downshift loudly when coming into town, and on his way out he'd get on the throttle to speed up right in front of our house. Our house was 70' off the road, but it would rattle the windows and drown out the tv or radio momentarily, even with the windows closed. Several times, the noise would wake up our baby and cause her to go into a screaming fit with fear.

After a couple weeks of this, I spoke to the local cops about his livesaving efforts, and finally they agreed to sit in front of my house to see for themselves. Sure enough, our resident lifeguard came roaring by the next Saturday morning, downshifting and blatting the throttle on his bike, rattling the windows as usual. The cop lit him up, and ended up arresting him for driving without a motorcycle endorsement, causing a public disturbance, and going 65 in a 40 zone. His lifesaving machine was impounded, and I never saw it again.

Loud pipes are for a$$holes. I think I will make up a bumper sticker that says that and affix it to my rear window.
                              sigpic

SUZUKI:
                              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                                People who ride on public roads with open pipes (cars, pickups, or motorcycles) are a$$holes. Period.

Loud pipes do not "save lives", since the noise is not all that noticeable when approaching a car from the rear (which is where it might be of some use). The noise is only noticed once the motorcycle is even with or past the car, so it's only an annoyance, not a warning. When an approaching motorcycle is loud, once the bike is close enough to the car to be audible to the car driver, it is of no real use. In any situation where increased noticeability would be of use (i.e. crowded streets where the car might make a left turn in front of the bike), the exact source of the noise is going to be dissipated by the surrounding traffic. It will not bring attention to the bike because the car driver will just tune it out as background traffic noise.

Unnecessarily subjecting others (particularly pedestrians and people in their homes and in parks) to such loud noise is the height of selfishness and immaturity. It is also illegal in every developed nation.

During the spring of 1998, when I had a three year old and a newborn at home, there was an a$$hole that lived down the road from us who purchased/modified an open piped metric cruiser over the winter. We lived on the very edge of town, where the speed limit dropped from 40 to 30 mph (It dropped from 55 to 40 about 1/4 mile to the south). This $hithead would downshift loudly when coming into town, and on his way out he'd get on the throttle to speed up right in front of our house. Our house was 70' off the road, but it would rattle the windows and drown out the tv or radio momentarily, even with the windows closed. Several times, the noise would wake up our baby and cause her to go into a screaming fit with fear.

After a couple weeks of this, I spoke to the local cops about his livesaving efforts, and finally they agreed to sit in front of my house to see for themselves. Sure enough, our resident lifeguard came roaring by the next Saturday morning, downshifting and blatting the throttle on his bike, rattling the windows as usual. The cop lit him up, and ended up arresting him for driving without a motorcycle endorsement, causing a public disturbance, and going 65 in a 40 zone. His lifesaving machine was impounded, and I never saw it again.

Loud pipes are for a$$holes. I think I will make up a bumper sticker that says that and affix it to my rear window.
                                Great post Brett. I agree with everything you have said.

Dip$hit loud pipe guys often think that as long as they limp into their home area and don't blare the exhaust then all is well. The only thing this does is show their cowardice since if they make noise close to home they may have to stand face to face with someone complaining about their noise. These asshats light throttle through their neighborhood and then open it up as soon as they get two blocks down, away from people they know. In other words, they don't want to be confronted for noise but don't give a crap about people otherwise.

In my last place there was some ah0le with open pipes that would leave for work at 5AM. He would roll the bike out quiet like but I'd wake up as soon as he started up the bike. The bike ran well and he could motor down the road at idle quite well, as he attempted to mitigate the noise close to his own place, but I could hear him grab a handful of throttle just a few blocks away. Of course the poor people living a few blocks away would get a full blast from an open pipe bike blaring at 5:01 AM.
                                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X