'82 GS750TZ Finally getting around to sorting the Charging System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS750TZ Finally getting around to sorting the Charging System

Got my first dirt bike when I was 12, a very well thrashed 1972 Yamaha 250 Trials. It was too big for me but hey, dad bought it cheap from a buddy. Paper route money got me into a Yamaha 3 wheeler at 14, then at 16 I bought a brand new Honda 200X. Loved riding in the dirt and the coal roads, dunes and hill climbs found in the coal region of PA, where I'm from.
    Fast forward though college, living in Boston, taking a motorcycle safety course with a friend at Hanscomb AF Base in Mass, but not getting a bike and my license until I moved back to Central PA and...

I was given the '82 GS750TZ aroungd 13 years ago after it had been sitting, not running for a few years outside but under roof. I put a few hundred dollard into it. Tires, brake pads, shoes for the rear, used starter, used starter solenoid, new chain, had the tank inside bead blasted, paint job on the tank and side panels by a friend who owns a body shop. I got it running, it was OK, but It was always hard starting if I didn't ride it every day. I didn't ride it very often and it seemed whenever I wanted to ride it, the b@#$% wouldn't turn over. So I'd kill the battery trying to start it. Charge the battery, and eventually it would start.

Because I have 2 busy boys, 17 and 13, am a scout leader, coached little league, and now lacrosse, I've not dedicated much time to giving this bike the attention it deserves. 2 summers ago, on a very nice evening that my bike decided to be nice and start for me, I took it for a ride. On the ride, I came pretty close to hitting a bear. Heart thumping, I turned around and headed home. I stopped along the side of the road to watch some fireworks. It was around July 4th. Cars and trucks were wizzing by, but didn't really bother me. Then, I guess because I didn't hear him coming, I was startled by a passing bicyclist. Lost my balance on the bike and dumped it in to a grassy ditch. I jumped clear so at leat it didn't land on me. A good samaratan watching the fireworks from his yard across the street, helped me get the bike (witch was basically up-side down) back up to the road. The bike started by ran for sh#t. I limped it all the way home. I had a stuck carb float. I had been putting off getting the carbs rebuilt but now I had no choice. Local guy who runs a small motorcycle shop rebuilt my carbs for $120. The bike starts and runs like a top ever since. The choke actually works, and no more hard starting.

The bike never charged well, if at all. Since I've started lurking and joined GSR a few weeks ago, I have learned SO much about the charging system on my bike. And I know whatever issues I come up with, this community will help me get trough it as long as I follow the steps and don't try to short cut anything. I really want to start enjoying owning this bike. Up to this point, I've just sort of tolerated it's ****y attitude. That's about to change.
    IMG_3678.jpg

I've put in a new battery and done the Quick test. I'll continue this in the electical forum.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 06-26-2018, 11:51 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Rich, welcome to GSR! I was a Scoutmaster for 9 years and ended my Scouting career in 2000 after being active 17 years as an adult. It is good to be active with kids. Keep on slogging away on that bike you'll get it sorted out with a little time and money for parts. Finding and using BassCliff's site, learning how to search and reading all of Posplayer's threads on charging will keep you occupied for a while.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Charlie
      Thanks for the encouragement. May 17 yr. old was all set to go to Philmont in a few weeks, but the NM fires caused his trek and may others to be canceled. Fortunately, some other camps opened up treks because of this and he is now going to Goshen in VA for a 7 day trek instead of the Philmont 12 day. At least they were able to still make a great backpacking trip in his last year as a Boy Scout.

On the Bike, yes I have been trying to absorb as much of Posplayr's and many other GSR Gurus' knowledge as possible. I have a very limited but growing understanding of voltmeters and all the testing to be done so I'm trying to take my time and do it right. I'm ready to get my hands dirty and have started another thread in the electrical/ignition forum.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
      X