Possibly switching teams from Kz to Gs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possibly switching teams from Kz to Gs

I recently sold my 78 kz650 in hopes to grab something bigger and a 83 gs1100ez popped up on Craigs and I'm very seriously considering making the switch.
    Anyways I have some questions I hope you guys can help me out with. He says it leaks a little oil from head gasket( one to two drops after a long ride) how seriously should I be concerned. Needs new petcock, and the battery water light is on( I already read up on that one) and finally it's 3 1/2 hours away.
    He's ask 2250 and I've already talked him down to 1800. Should I pull the trigger? What else should I ask about before making the trek. Oh yeah! Any info on the orange lettering? I can't find another like it on google.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Sounds like a deal to me.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

The bike is an 82 as determined by the silver engine, snowflake pattern wheel spokes, passenger footrest carriers, and likely an 85 mph speedometer if it hasn't been changed to the 83 140 mph unit (popular upgrade). The "Z" in EZ also indicates 82. Oil leak could be the head gasket or as simple as the valvecover gasket leaking dripping down the head.

Im pretty certain that you'll love the GS.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

These engines also like to leak oil from the o-rings sealing four of the head nuts. Whacko design, but replacement is easy.

And as mentioned earlier, a valve cover gasket or tach drive leak is not unlikely. There are also some seals around some of the valve cover bolts that are prone to leakage.

All these are quite easy to deal with.

Looks like a nice original bike that hasn't been monkeyed with like so many of these. Assuming it runs, grab it.

This is a long, heavy, big, powerful bike -- a very different experience than your KZ650. Give yourself time to get used to it, and budget some money to upgrade the tires, brakes, and suspension.
        Last edited by bwringer; 09-06-2018, 07:48 AM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
          GSRicks in the business so maybe go with his thoughts.

When these questions get asked by a poster I always wonder do they want validation for their choice or critical advice.

From the critic....

Certainly not an original body on the bike, which always raises the question of "How Come?" Crashed? Rusted?, Severely Scratched? The previous owner repainted tank to look like a Euro model.

I feel like its a $1200 to $1400 beater bike. If you really want a GS, I think you can find better examples for around $2K, especially at this time of year. You might need to pay for shipping to get a nice example. I'd look for a stock original 83 myself, and I own an 82.

When you can buy 20 year newer bikes for less than $2000, I find it hard to make the value case for a non stock painted, oil leaking 80s bike, running bias ply tires, with a sketchy charging system, and an 80 mph speedo, at the same price point.

I may be alone in thinking this way on the GS site, but I'm not alone in thinking this way in the broader moto buying public, which is why I believe it's still over priced. PS the mirrors are not stock either.
          I think much of what you are saying is correct, but the value of these bikes are much higher down here in the south. We don't have wholesale prices for bikes since we basically have year round riding seasons and no one looking to dump bikes because of off riding season storage issues. My jaw drops everytime is see those bike ads posted here. I see crap out there(down here) advertised for much more than this bike. This bike started out at $2,600 around 6 months ago. Nothing wrong with Ls if they are your thing, but after 6 months this guy still want's $1,650 for it or a GS1100E.

Prices will drop, but no one here is in a hurry to sell. At least this bike the OP is looking at was a top rated bike for it's time and is still highly sought after. If it was an 1100G it would still be that price or higher, even though people "don't want those shafties". Little do they know what excellent bikes the Suzuki shaft bikes are, comfortable and fast too.
          GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Gentlemen! Thank you so much for your replies. I knew something up with the tins being a funny color, and the position they put the 1100 decals on the side panels will probably destroy my OCD. Good to know about the wrong year model. 83 seems to be the way to go. I think im going to hold out and find more orginal bike. I really do like the flow of the E model. I guess it's time to put a wanted ad!

Comment

If you plan on racing it, then yes the 83 is the way to go, but for just everyday street riding, there is nothing wrong with the 80-82 engines.
              GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by Jogo860 View Post
                ........ .............. ......... ............ and I'm very seriously considering making the switch.
                This website forum is a good reason for having a GS.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                X