1981 GS650G - Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markitzero View Post
    Thanks the tips Gorminrider, I have a set of vessel JIS screw drivers and an in/lb torque wrench, I purchased these when was getting my Kawasaki KZ400 running.

I actually downloaded the manuals, and spoke to a few GS owners I know prior to buying.
    Oh, good- you know what you're doing! need say:there are a couple of notable flaws that MAY come up with these shaft drives...If it starts to whine you likely have "Zooks Syndrome" (he wrote a good pdf about it). search "zooks" or "whine" but just some links are

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...78#post1732978
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...p/t-65157.html

...the other shaft drive problem is apparently the ring gear in the hub. The gold coloured ones seem to strip easily, though mine seems ok so far. (1982 650G) Molybdenum grease! Honda makes the best. You want high content of molybdenum so read the specs.

The suzuki charging system has (too) much written about it. You can't miss it in the electrical section.

I had trouble sealing bead with Avon road-riders to the 82's tubeless rims. Maybe just me but I swapped them for Bridgestone BT45s which are good. (Fort Nine is good for tires )
    Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-23-2020, 10:51 AM.

Comment

I used the Yamaha carb cleaner last year. About $12 for a litre, that you mix with water. Worked great.
      1981 GS1100E

Comment

Update:

Paint upgraded: Porsche Agate Grey
        Biltwell Tracker handle bars w/ Kung-Fu Grips
        Front fork spring: Race Tech Hi-Performance Fork Spring
        Rear Shocks: YSS
        Carbs cleaned and O-rings replaced
        Replaced Petcock
        New fork seals
        Pit Repilca seat cover
        Led headlight
        Led turn signals
        Mosfet Regulator/rectifier upgrade
        New Stator
        Complete top end rebuild (replaced cylinder head) new exhaust valve gaskets, valves shimmed and carbs synchronized

Last edited by markitzero; 07-11-2022, 11:46 PM.
        1981 GS650G
        1978 Kawasaki KZ400

Comment

I need to mention this forum was a massive help!
          I'm so grateful for the wealth of Knowledge that is contained in this forum.
          1981 GS650G
          1978 Kawasaki KZ400

Comment

What's that phrase?.....pics or it didn't happen.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
            X