BOTM photo submissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markn View Post
    Where did you get the idea that I don’t want to “do the job” anymore? !…if anyone has an issue not being able to view photos, their concerns should be sent to Frank Perrault, he’s the webmaster. If you take the time to contact Frank, ask him about Firefox compatibility.
    If this forum is not compatible to Firefox, it will die. It's probably more of a VBulletine issue, with upgrades done out of sequence, which is why I dumped it for Xenforo. I am just a member here.

markn​ has read the thread, he should address the issue, and the proper steps to view these pictures, not let members stick in their own (including my own) ,002 cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post

Yes they are -> Click the link under the BOTM photo "BOTM Gallery"
      All the past ones are there also https://www.thegsresources.com/botmgallery.php

Pretty sure it is you....Sorry.
      You are the only person who has given the proper link. Thank You. It's not me only, as others are asking the same question. That listing should be under it's own Banner. It would attract more people. Thanks for that link. I appreciate it. Without the correct link, and not being able to find it, you were right, it was "me", and a lot of other people.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post

I don't degrade anybody My inbox and private messages are full of Thanks You's from people I helped. You gave a snarky reply and it was WRONG. So why are you here. You are not a Moderator, why are you addressing me at all in any kind of capacity when all you have done is provide the wrong links to a page of BOTM's that do not have pictures for those bikes .

Did you go see for yourself. I asked a simple question that has not been answered, I cannot see the bikes for most of the months, and can see every other picture and submit any picture onto this forum.

The BOTM editor says here rarely checks in and bothers with this, then why is he still the BOTM editor? That's not degrading, that's a legitimate question. If you don't feel these are legitimate issues, you have become part of the problem. Why are you here? I haven't read a thread where you helped anyone on here. What is it that you have to offer? I manage a forum far larger than this, and it is growing exponentially.

Why is it that you are here? Are you the forum's apologists? Do you understand English well enough to give a cohesive response? So far the links you provided to me were WRONG. I provided the right one.

Read the thread just before mine, # 14, jump down his throat. He's asking the same thing I asked. You should not project you heartfelt irrelevancy. Just zip it.
        I understand that I did NOT provide any links in my post! I only said to go to the homepage. And thanks for sharing that you run a forum far larger than this, AGAIN! Geez.
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
        1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

I point out that I run a larger forum because when I took it over, it has maybe 5K members, and now has 54K members. I know the issues involved in running forums. If people do not give feedback, you don't know something is wrong. The BOTM list is missing Photos on many of it's selections for selective month. Look at the BOTM, and you see a page full of paragraphs. That is not conducive reading a thread where there's supposed to be a picture. GEEEEEEEEZ.

You put people down because they have knowledge you apparently don't. You see those people as the problem. You admit you did not post any links, then why did you bother making the post? Again, you make yourself part of the problem and seek relief by putting others down, instead of just editing the link in.

Comment

After being made aware of some of the comments going on here, I've decided to put in my 2 cents. I know there are some people around who think they know what's going on around here but they don't, My hope is to clear things up so this could get a little long.

First let me say though, that I am not going to get in a p*ssing contest with anyone. My co-editors, moderators and I try to run this website as fair and unobtrusive as possible. I believe that the fact that it's been around for as long as it has is a testament to that. But not everyone is going to be happy with every decision made around here and I understand that. But that's the way life goes. I try to deal a fair hand and what I say goes.

That all being said, let's clear some things up. One, I could give a rat's ass about forum member numbers. I regularly purge inactive members from the database in order to keep server performance up. That's my primary concern. I couldn't even guess how many members we would have if I didn't regularly purge. But I'm not here to impress anyone and I'm not looking for clicks for cash. I'm here to disseminate information about a motorcycle that is almost 50 years old, on a user supported website. As time goes on, less and less people will be visiting this site because of the subject matter we are dealing with. That's a fact of life and I'm OK with it. We've made it 28+ years and we may just hit 30. We'll continue to go as long as people are willing to support it.

And I'd like to acknowledge our faithful supporters. Ever since we dumped advertising and went to a user supported website the people here have never failed to step up and keep the website going. To that I say Bravo!! Yes, things are getting a little tighter as the years pass by, the bikes get older and our economy takes a dump, but we're still here. I just think that's fantastic. And I'll keep doing it, even if I now have to pay taxes on it.

Has it been an easy ride? Hardly. A few of the old timers around here know some of the real struggles that we went through over the years. Some of the younger folks around here have no clue. Server crashes, database crashes, webhost problems, server swaps, last minute webhost changes. late night server config issues. You name it we have seen it all. And it wasn't easy to deal with it since we didn't have all the nice tools and tech help that you have nowadays. But we made it through the challenges and life is pretty good now. Is life at the GSR perfect? Not by a long shot, but we do our best as a part time endeavor to make it work.

That being said, my co-editor Mark Nemetz is one of those old timers here. He has been here since 2001 when him, Dan Bard and I took over the site when the old owner went AWOL. Mark basically volunteered to take care of the Bike Of The Month section, when handling that website was a totally manual operation. Everything was created by hand on an HTML page. The Bike of the Month (then called The Pic of the Month) and the Q&A section (now the forum) were the largest and most popular features and it took hours and hours to maintain them. Mark did that then and continues to do that now. For that I am eternally grateful!!

Things are a bit easier since I wrote custom code to automate some of the processes of dealing with the whole BOTM thing. But Mark still has work to do, so things aren't totally automated for him. I want him to be able to analyze pics for content and quality. People are getting better at taking pics versus before cellphones, but you would be amazed in how many pictures we still get with undesirable items in the background, fuzzy pics, etc.. So there will always be submissions that are rejected. Mark has final say over BOTM submissions. If your submission is rejected, there is no reason to take any of this personally. We now send you a reason for the rejection but it is your decision of whether to fix it and resubmit or not. I see in the posts above that someone is still p*ssed off because of a rejected submission that happened 10 years ago. Really?

Understand that you can make a submission and you may not hear anything for months. Submissions sit in a queue from which Mark chooses from. So unless you get an outright rejection, your pick is in the running.

Note: when email is sent from our server, i.e. the acceptance or rejection email, it will not get to you if your forum profile email account is on a att,net, bellsouth.net or sbcglobal.net server. See this (Link)

Now on the technical side,...

As for some months missing photos, remember all those problems with the website that I mentioned above? Well there you have it. Some BOTM entries are missing and we have been unable to get them back. We've tried but they will be forever missing. So missing pics are not a system error or bad coding. The BOTM Gallery page is an autogenerated page so if something is missing on the page, then the data behind it isn't there.

As for issues with Firefox, I haven't seen any. The main website is completely written by me. It is designed to be compatible with the latest standards in HTML, CSS, Javascript and MySQL as well as the latest versions of mainstream browsers. I have tested it on a PC in Windows and Linux, and it all works correctly. If you are seeing issues and you have more info, then PM me. I don't frequent the forums so PM's or email is the best way to get a hold of me. Still however, have patience. I think I am the busiest "retired" person I know.

In regards to BOTM, it was intentionally not put it the forum for the reason that I want people to go to the main website also. We are a website with a forum, not website that is a forum. Why? Because 1) I like coding and 2) the main website contains useful info such as, who the editors and moderators are, technical info and other info that doesn't fit well in a forum. The BOTM section is one of those areas and it will never be in the forum.

And finally...

Another person I would like to acknowledge, is my main moderator Don Pepe. He has the inglorious and thankless task of keeping order in the forums. He is doing a stellar job and I appreciate Don for everything he is doing dealing with the SPAM etc.. His volunteering for this allowed me to have some of my life back and my wife appreciates that. Needless to say I am eternally grateful as well!! And yes, he is one of the old timers also!

That's all I have for now. ​If you have any questions or comments, let me know!

Frank

Comment

I have no complaints. I just asked questions. I understand non advertised supported forums because I have one too. I know from my Inbox, and the "Thanks" that I have received from people I am helping from this forum. This forum is definitely Firefox compatible. I understand pictures disappearing, I've suffered DNS attacks that quite destructive.

I think you have a great job. I belonged to the old forum, it was a constant attack on people. *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ing contests. Some of the more knowledgeable members and myself have engaged in heated discussions, and come to complete resolutions. I can say that not one that I have bumped heads with has stayed that way, and we post and agree on most issues. I have run 3 motorcycle dealership[s, and a Master Machinist, had an electronic repair shop for 10 years, I also spent 10 year programming robotics, and CNC machinery. I am retired, and want to try and help people. When I was younger nobody helped me do anything unless I paid for it. So I state my credentials, not to brag, but so people know that I am licensed in my fields, or certified by the state. Some of the advice people have given here, well, it wasn't good. Rebutting that advice sets out the slings and arrows.

Not that it matters, but I believe your post was needed and appreciate it greatly, even if I was one (or the) of the cause of it.

Comment

Thanks, Frank.

More characters
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                X