thanks so much!
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I had to look into dry film lubricants for work a few years back. A medical implant manufacturer didn't want anything liquid lubricating a custom vise I had designed for them. One the molecular level, molybdenum disulfide forms sheets one atom thick that slide over each other very easily. In moly paste grease, the moly disulfide gets deposited on the metal surfaces creating a low friction, low wear coating. The grease is just the installation medium. The dry film lubricants are similar, but sprayed on somehow. No grease. Also, expensive. Since the lubricant is only a few atoms think, it can withstand very high contact pressures.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

Check the rear spline in the rear wheel closely. When Suzuki changed from the early units, that were finished in a black coloring, to the yellow chromate zinc finish, the heat treatment process went in the toilet and those splines are junk. Regarding moly paste, something with 40+% is best. Don't use regular grease or moly assembly lube, both are a no-go.
        IIRC, a 1980 model should have the "good" black spline unit. I believe the switchover to the soft gold splines happened a little later. But anything's possible...

I have a wee jar of Loctite 51048 moly paste. Expensive, but a lifetime supply. You can get a little tube of something called Honda M-77, but I can't verify how much moly is in it. We used to use a 60% moly paste but Honda stopped selling it.

You need something that's a much higher percentage of molybdenum (50% or more) than the ordinary black moly grease used on bearings and such.
        Last edited by bwringer; 08-14-2022, 09:18 AM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Hey Justin, good to see another project in the works - that looks like Harry's old bike, same color scheme (I think his was an 1100 but I could be wrong).

I'm meeting Skip Friday in Deerfield for a test flight - he wacked his hip tripping over the dog gate! It'll be a small 100 mile loop from there. My old college roommate Matt is going, and a couple of Skip's buddies might go too. It's about 120 miles south of you but maybe we could meet up somewhere along the loop for lunch. Our northern most stop is Whitingham / Jacksonville (intersection of 100 and 112) - still, 90 miles south of you.

Looks like all is well with baby Jedz, hope Mrs Jedz is well too. With any luck we'll meet up before Moosehead/Green Mtn - we have the pavilion this year!!
          Scott
          1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
          1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
          1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
          2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
          sigpic

Comment

Just hoping on GSR now, Unfortunately I have been working nights and weekends because we are short staffed. Again.
            Would have loved to meet up! Hopefully soon. I'm finally off my restrictions from my back surgery and have been riding my Bonneville everyday!
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Being thicker, grease has much better staying power than oils, and, for me, Molyslip has proven to be an excellent product.
              It provides not only a basic lubricant but gives a constant film of molybdenum which further reduces friction on its own, especially important when cold or starting motion and it stands up to heat very well....
              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I would also avoid using regular grease or moly assembly lube. I also recommend watching here. These products are not as effective as moly paste, and they can actually damage the splines.
                Last edited by sorenlan; 01-19-2024, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X