My almost daily ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My almost daily ride

This is a description of my usual (80%) ride. I ride pretty much year round - long johns, flannel jeans (LL Bean), turtle neck, ski sweater, and of course leathers. If the roads arent wet and slippery - I ride. I kinda like the looks I get on a clear Christmas day. I have a 85 GS 1150.
    I live in a suburb just north of Detroit called St Clair Shores. My ride takes me along Jefferson Ave. About a 1/2 mile from my house you ride thru what is called the "Nautical Mile". An area along Jefferson from 10 mile road to 9 mile road with many nice and very nice restaurants (most serving Guiness on draft), at one time this area boasted "most boats in 1 mile in the USA". Havent heard that one lately - someone must have visited Miami. Lots of Marina and watering holes. The next area is the 1st of 5 Grosse Pointes. An Affluint area with a great history and many large homes. The first home you pass is the Edsel Ford estate (son of Henry). Most estates are gone, now occupied by what is refered to as "MC mansions". Still large and pretty home on smaller lots. After about 2 to 3 miles Jefferson Ave changes its name to Lakeshore Rd and runs along the shore of Lake St Clair with homes on one side of the street. This is the main draw of this ride. In summer Lake St Clair is filled with boats. This area has many sailors and it is very common (and quite picturesque) to see large groups of sailboats competing in a regatta. Along with the sailors you will see all sorts and sizes of motor (stink) boats and great lakes freighters. While riding this area you will pass a few small peninsulas that jut into the lake which are either yacht clubs or municipal parks. All very picturesque and cottagy. Great area to pull over and people watch (lots of female joggers). People watching and motorcycles dont mix. Lakeshore runs for approx 4 mile and then turn back into Jefferson, with homes on both sides again. Still very nice ride with very pretty and well manicured properties. One thing I need to mention (should have started here), Grosse Pointe puts alot of importance in it's Police dept. And the many Police you will see put alot of importance in you doing the speed limit (exspecially motorcycles). So as we continue along (doing MAYBE 4mph over the 35 limit) after approx 4 to 5 more miles we come to the Detroit / Grosse Pointe border. Yeh - they call it the "border", like we are changing countries. On my short ride I turn around here and head home which gives me approx 1 to 1 & 1/2 hour ride (my wifes favorite). On my long ride I cross the border into Detroit. This is where I become a street fighter. I really like Detroit, but, in order to get pulled over for a traffic infraction, I am convinced you first have to wave your gun out the window. On with the ride - welcome to the east side of Detroit. Looks like bombed out Beruit. There is alot of new being built, but, this area is famous for houses that burn on devils night. Just before Halloween we used to get invaded by film crews (some international) documenting the arson frenzy that used to accor. They found most fires were started by absentee landlords attempting to cash in on the insurance. This part of the ride involves higher speeds (limit still 35) and alot of urban manuevers. Keeps you on your toes and shows you that your bike is running right. Still quite a bit here to see - most not that pretty. After 5 to 6 miles of mad max - you enter downtown Detroit. I do a couple of "drive by's". Joe Louis Arena (Red Wings), Comerica Park (Tigers), Ford Stadium (Lions) then stop at my favorite place - Laffeyette Coney Island, 2 on 1 - xtra onions lite chilly. After my snack - on the way home - I do 1 lap around Belle Isle (Belyile if your from Detroit) same way New Orleans becomes one word. Belle Isle is an island(duh) in the middle of the Detroit river, city owned, designed by Frederick Law Olmstead. Same guy that designed Central Park in New York. Now on Fri and Sat night you have to deal with all the party people on the island. And being white - I am definatally in the minority, but, if your not an idiot, nothing will happen. Beautiful island with many old statues commemorating different war hero's and a large fountain that is lit at night. The Detroit Grand Prix is held on this island. After Belle Isle I get back on Jefferson and head home. The long version takes approx 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours. Add time if you stop at a pub for Guiness. If more than 1 - I wait till I am home to consume. If anyone comes to Detroit - I would be happy to show around.
    85 1150E

Nice story...and quite a contrast in a single adventure.

Comment

i'm originally from D and i woundn't do that ride without a bullet proof vest and a assault rifle mounted on the handlebars.

Comment

Well told. Sounds like a nice ride until you get to the city.

I've only been to Michigan once, Petoskey. It was August and I remember it being on the chilly side even at that time of year. Is it ever not cold in Michigan? :-D

Thanks for sharing and welcome the GS Resources!

PS: What bike do you ride? (Good info to put in your sig)

Comment

Steve,

Welcome to GSR.

Here, you might like this posting (prior to you joining).
          Do you have a great road adventure that you would like to share? How about a bike repair gone bad? Put your story here and share it with the rest of us.

He mentions some of the same/nearby places as you did and mentions beer about as much as you. I added a posting about where I lived in Da-troy-at as a little kid.

Last edited by Redman; 10-16-2007, 08:25 PM. Reason: spulling

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I've been to Detroit
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

mad maxesque

i love riding through the post-apocalyptic or industrial parts of cities. Just watch out for the railroad tracks, and the oblivious, jay walking crackheads.
              Plus in some towns there a a few old white-flight neighborhoods that have nice scenic curvy boulevards.

Comment

Great Responces

Ricardo - You definatally take a different riding "stance" when Detroit riding. Some areas are "option stops" where the only time you come to a complete stop at a traffic light, is if a cop is in the area. Even driving a car around Detroit is a "combat". I tend to think EVERYONE is out to kill me. Because of this I do fine.
                MelodicMetalGod - Petosky is a long way (geographically and emotionally) from Detroit. I vacation in Petosky and Travese City. When its not cold in Michigan - Its very HOT. It gets so hot sometimes I dont ride (leathers). My ride is a 85 GS 1150
                85 1150E

Comment

Great Responces

Redman - Thanks for the post - read it all - I am surprised that I havent run into beergood before - looks like we run in the same areas.

chef1366 - OK now you guys are just baiting me. "no matter where you go, people eat". Do you maen, where you go in Detroit? If I continue I will never get my tongue out of my cheek.
                  85 1150E

Comment

Steve Thanks for letting me reminence, I worked all of Detroit from about 1972 to 1990 callimg on parts stores and automotive WD's it wasnt very good then. my inlaws are in sterling heights so we get back about every 5or 6 weeks so I still have a pretty good feel for the city(get down for a game or play once in a while) it is truly a shame what has happened to the city and the really sad part is it isnt going to get any better.
                    As far as TC, Harbor Springs and Petoski we were up there week end before last and it was 85 degrees IN OCT thats unusual for August but what a beautiful area.
                    thanks again and remember to put up your force field when you cross Alter Rd.

Comment

U like - then check this

Ricardo - If you liked my tale - check this: http://www.thegsresources.com/forum...d.php?t=10622 beergood even brought and used a camera. He looks as crazy as I. Turn out beergood lived about 5 houses from me - I think he moved in after I moved out. Must be something in the water.
                      85 1150E

Comment

I entered it wrong

sorry - try http://www.thegsresources.com/ forum...d.php?t=10622 The title "a trip through Detroit's east side"
                        85 1150E

Comment

Working...
                        X