Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I get back from a couple hundred mile ride and discovered...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get back from a couple hundred mile ride and discovered...

An engine case bolt bolt is gone, I lost one of my cam end cover screws (the covers for the half moons), and MY HORN IS COMPLETELY MISSING. What the hell?

The wires are there, the bracket is there, the horn is gone.

Looks like I need to go shopping.

'DOH! i was just reading the service manual for my 550 and it says to tighten EVERY bolt on the bike every few thousand miles... looks like someone hasn't been keeping up with their scheduled maintenance!

Comment

OMG - Lucky you don't have an artificial leg!! :shock:

[-o< *oh god, please don't let him respond with "actually I do, what of it?" *

Comment

You weren't wearing a Triumph, BSA, or Royal Enfield T shirt by any chance were you? Or even worse a Harvey Sportster T...

Comment

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            Oh that bottle on the far right is PURE evil... I don't even like to see a picture of it.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
              You weren't wearing a Triumph, BSA, or Royal Enfield T shirt by any chance were you? Or even worse a Harvey Sportster T...
              No but I was wearing a Murder by Death t shirt, and that ride was cursed. I was riding with two other guys. One guy had a Buell Blast, and the other had a 1980 CB750 Custom. On the ride the CB750 blew half of it's fuses when we got pulled over for his headlight light not being on. It wasn't even dark yet! The main fuse also blew which is a piece of metal that fractures and breaks off. We had to McGyver some stuff together to get that running again. (Basically take apart a cell phone accessory to get some extra wiring to bridge the fuse panel.)

This all ended up taking so long that it got dark and I only had my tinted face shield, so I had to ride with the shield up and had a pair of those clear sportbike squid rider glasses on inside of my helmet. Once it got dark it got COLD too so it wasn't a fun ride with all of the wind noise and cold air directly hitting my face.

Out of the bikes present the only one that didn't have a single issue was the Harley made Buell. Irony???

Comment

Originally posted by andrewclaycomb View Post
                Out of the bikes present the only one that didn't have a single issue was the Harley made Buell. Irony???
                I would bet that's just because it's the newest of the bikes...in 20 years it will probably be falling apart and not work at all.

Comment

Sounds like the 441 Victor I had years ago. I could always tell where I'd been by following the trail make by thinks I'd lost off the bike.:-D

I did however teach me the value to torquing fasteners to their rated torques.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
                    This reminds me of my old Triumph 650 chopper and it's many roadside stories of woe. One was on I-84 in Waterbury, CT going approx 70mph (it had no gauges so I can only estimate) and the rear wheel hopped up like I just ran over something. Much to my "delight" I looked down and saw my little 6 volt battery that was mounted to the front, lower part of the rear fender was gone. I realized it fell off and I had just run over it. I slowed and pull to the side of the highway, left the bike running, ran back 1/4 mile to see it laying in the high speed lane, cars just missing running over it again. Being young, foolish and devoid of cash at the time, I proceeded to run across 3 lanes of highway, avoiding getting killed, reach down and scoop it up and dash to the median strip to catch my breath. Waiting for an oppurtune time I ran back 3 lanes to the breakdown lane. Now being out of breath and wondering why I just did what I did, I calmy walked back to the still running bike, took my belt off and rigged the battery back on for the 30 mile ride back to home to the Hartford area.
                    Another time I'll tell you about the carbs coming apart on the highway.
                    Sorry for the long winded response!

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                      This reminds me of my old Triumph 650 chopper and it's many roadside stories of woe. One was on I-84 in Waterbury, CT going approx 70mph (it had no gauges so I can only estimate) and the rear wheel hopped up like I just ran over something. Much to my "delight" I looked down and saw my little 6 volt battery that was mounted to the front, lower part of the rear fender was gone. I realized it fell off and I had just run over it. I slowed and pull to the side of the highway, left the bike running, ran back 1/4 mile to see it laying in the high speed lane, cars just missing running over it again. Being young, foolish and devoid of cash at the time, I proceeded to run across 3 lanes of highway, avoiding getting killed, reach down and scoop it up and dash to the median strip to catch my breath. Waiting for an oppurtune time I ran back 3 lanes to the breakdown lane. Now being out of breath and wondering why I just did what I did, I calmy walked back to the still running bike, took my belt off and rigged the battery back on for the 30 mile ride back to home to the Hartford area.
                      Another time I'll tell you about the carbs coming apart on the highway.
                      Sorry for the long winded response!

definitely looking forward to that story!

Comment

Working...
                      X