Bar arguement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bar arguement

I was out to dinner the other night to a local New Orleans style restaurant and bar. I rode in on my 850 and the only other bike there was this V-twin custom cruiser (looks like a large Vulcan motor originally) all custom painted red, sideways license plate, etc.

While eating I over heard one drunk guy say to another in an obnoxiously loud voice "Hey man, is that your GS outside?" Of course this perked up my ears so I look over and the guy he is talking to has the leather vest, dew rag, and beer in his hand so I decided to sit back and listen. "No man, I ride the red one." "Well I was looking for the owner of the GS..." "Why, don't you like the red one??" This is where I dang near fell out of my chair, "No not really, it is just another d$%k enhancing V-twin like every other one out there... that old GS would leave you behind anytime..." From there the two continued to argue about Jap 4's (Drunk guy evidently has a couple Honda CBs and a Kawi KZ) versus modern V-Twins.

Needless to say it made my evening..

hahahahaha. nice. and it's true!

Comment

thats pretty awesome. +1 for drunk v twin guys i guess.

Comment

I had a similar experiecnce the other day. I pulled into EPC (Extreme Performance Cycles) shop near my house. They do plasti-rockets with stupidly long swingarms and the like. They actually do nice work, but not my cup of tea. But, one of the guys that works there loves old bikes. So occasionaly, when I have a question I cant answer myself, or one YOU guys cant answer (this is rare I know) I stop down there, and get his opinion. This was the first time I had the 1100G down there. And really this time, I just went in to shoot the breeze with him. He started looking over the GS, and remarking how clean and nice and stock it was. All of the sudden, this guy pulls in on a Busa, decked to the nines. Everything chromed out, chrome wheels etc etc. Well, a couple of the other guys in the shop had come over and were checking out my GS. The Busa guy took off his helmet, kinda looked at the GS, wrinkled his nose a bit, and then looked at the rest of the shop guys. They paid no attention to him. I kinda caught him, standing back, looking at his bike, then looking over at the GS. He seemed rather distraught that no-one was paying attention to his bling and blast machine. Now, I attribute this to the simple fact that Busas anymore are pretty common. His was nice, but you see them blinged out all the time. Im sure when my GS was made, it prolly had less attention paid to it, than an old CL or Z1. So i didnt get a big head about it. But I did feel pretty good.

Comment

Squid hunting in the twisties is sooooooo much sick fun on an old bike.

The little fellers on their plastic fantastics ride and ride like the wind and stick their knees out when they lean 10 degrees, and hunker down all purposeful-like... and yet they can't seem to gain any distance on the fat guy on the old "slow" motorcycle that caught up to them a while back.

:twisted::twisted:
          Learn to ride, ya whippersnappers...
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I get a kick out of it... let them get far far away and then start reeling them in. Funny, they look back, usually twice and then start sticking their knee out farther on each corner. It's even more fun when my wife is on the back, especially if I can do it without waking her up.
            All that practice at smooth cornering over in Scotland is paying off.

Problem is, I rarely see sportbikes outside the city, and I don't play that **** inside the city...
            Outrunning hogs is no fun at all. Did it today coasting down a hill in neutral.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Outrunning hogs is no fun at all. Did it today coasting down a hill in neutral.

HAHAHA!! good one! :-D

I had a nice experience last summer. I took my freshly polished up 1150 to a bike night in Reno. There was every kind of bike you could think of there. Lots of modern rockets and LOTS of Harleys.

The owner comes out to the lot, and says "Hey, who's 1150 is this?" I told him it was mine. He hands me a gift certificate for a free dinner for two for "the coolest bike". I asked him why he chose mine. He said "anyone can show up on a crotch rocket or Harley.... yours is a classic!"

Felt good. \\/ I'm going to take my 1000 down there Wednesday. I need another free dinner. :mrgreen:
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                "anyone can show up on a crotch rocket or Harley.... yours is a classic!"
                Bruce, face it. he felt sorry for you. He probably thinks you're unemployed, and you just sit around the garage polishing the bike 40 hours a week. (come to think of it...that makes sense )

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
                  Bruce, face it. he felt sorry for you. He probably thinks you're unemployed, and you just sit around the garage polishing the bike 40 hours a week. (come to think of it...that makes sense )
                  Exacly, he said to himself, "Aww, look at this guy with his old GS... he's probably too poor to afford to take his wife out for a nice dinner. Poor guy, I'll give him some dinner coupons."
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
                    Bruce, face it. he felt sorry for you. He probably thinks you're unemployed, and you just sit around the garage polishing the bike 40 hours a week. (come to think of it...that makes sense)
                    Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                    Exacly, he said to himself, "Aww, look at this guy with his old GS... he's probably too poor to afford to take his wife out for a nice dinner. Poor guy, I'll give him some dinner coupons."
                    He had probably seen me around town in my truck and felt sorry for me.

:-D
                    Last edited by renobruce; 06-04-2008, 05:31 PM.
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Wes, very cool story. I think I'd lose all my shirt buttons, then stand up and point and the red v-twin owner and go, "YEAH, BABY! How do you like THEM apples??!!:twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
                        Wes, very cool story. I think I'd lose all my shirt buttons, then stand up and point and the red v-twin owner and go, "YEAH, BABY! How do you like THEM apples??!!:twisted:
                        No, I am like my bike, subtle and content to just sit there listen and smile, if I wanted to puff up my chest all the time I would ride a Hardly with all sorts of Screaming Chicken crap...

Comment

Originally posted by WesV View Post
                          No, I am like my bike, subtle and content to just sit there listen and smile, if I wanted to puff up my chest all the time I would ride a Hardly with all sorts of Screaming Chicken crap...
                          Oh yeah. I'm just kidding. I'm just tired of Hardly's giving me 'tude about riding "Jap crap".

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                            Felt good. \\/ I'm going to take my 1000 down there Wednesday. I need another free dinner. :mrgreen:
                            Sounds like a sure free dinner to me.
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I went over to my friend's house the other day for his 50th B-day party and of course someone parked their new Dyna next to my ol GS. As another member of the party came out he took a look at both bikes and points to mine and says this is the better bike. It made me feel good.

Comment

Working...
                              X