Shame on me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shame on me!

Well, I let it happen, so I have no one else to blame...

This weekend my wife and I went for a ride. Before returning home, I stopped to get gas and filled the tank to the top. I pulled in the garage, parked the bike and put down the garage door.

30 minutes later we smell gas in the garage, hum, wonder what that could be? I say to my wife, "I overfilled the tank, the engine is warm and expanding the gas, thus the fumes".

So rather then go out a check it, I say "hey kids lets go swimming", we load up the van and leave.
    We return late that evening. Open the garage door and fumes have subsided. OK all is well, I go to bed.

I wake up Sunday, thinking "self, what are we goint to do today". I decide it is a beautiful day to detail the bike. I go downstairs, open the garage door, get on my bike, look down and (insert long breathless gasp here) my paint job on my tank from last year is FUBAR! The paint on the left side of the tank has bubbled all over and is ruined.
    My bike now looks like superman's evil nemisis Bizarro, the elephant man and the Grizwald's station wagon all rolled into one!

Rather then repaint it now, I guess I'll wait until this winter and do it.

Gas fill up......... $12
    Paint job on tank from last year......... $400
    Stupidity........... (Another $400?)

I'm bumbed out peoples!
    Victor Kolb
    '80 GS1100L -
    '85 GS550L -
    '04 Bandit 1200S - gone
    '02 BMW R1150 RT - gone as well
    '15 Triumph Bonneville NewChurch
    '17 Triumph Tiger 80 XRx

Bummer! I guess the moral to the story is ... next time make sure to spend extra on gas resistant paint! If it's any consolation you're not the only one whose had a nice paint job go "poof" thanks to fuel overspill.

For now, dismount on the right side only, and park the bike with the left side toward the garage wall! If necessary, ride the bike with a patch over your left eye ... no, scratch that last suggestion!!

Good luck with the repaint!!!

Regards,

Comment

You're not alone. After I got the lovely black finish on my 650 refreshed, I did it differently-filled up (too full and on the sidestand, you know the drill), then straighten up to ride and the tank overflows. Only I use a tankbag 100% of the time so all this is going on under the rubber pad. By the time I realized it I'd rubbed the top of the tank pretty raw. Didn't know paint would behave this way .

Comment

So sorry to hear that but wondering about the paint used. If it had been urethane epoxy (2 part automotive) it should not have done that. Do you know what was used?

With a decent clear coat over base coat you can get some clears that are dang near impervious to gas and i'd suggest asking for the best clear you can get when you get the repaint. It goes without saying, when filling up leave some space at the top.

You'll be bummed out everytime you look at it but try and ignore it and keep riding....seasons half over already up here at least.

Cheers,
        Spyug.

Comment

I have this with my 650 sometimes. If I accelerate too quick after filling up, the fuel shifts around in the tank and comes pouring out the breather hole. I keep a bunch of paper towels in the bag for days that I have a brain fart. Paint is a little bubbled around the cap, but not too bad. Still sucks when you screw a whole paint job up though. Call me paranoid, but I check my petcocks and everything at least twice before putting the garage door down. I'm always afraid gas is gonna leak somewhere and wreck something.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
            So sorry to hear that but wondering about the paint used. If it had been urethane epoxy (2 part automotive) it should not have done that. Do you know what was used?
            I don't remember now, I had it done back in the early nineties in Ottawa when I lived there. I should be more precise, the paint wasn't removed by the spill, but the sheen was gone, it went partial matte finish on me, and the pattern on the underside of the foam rubber tank bag pad was lightly etched forever on the tank top. It was as though the gasoline exposure softened the paint.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post

With a decent clear coat over base coat you can get some clears that are dang near impervious to gas and i'd suggest asking for the best clear you can get when you get the repaint. It goes without saying, when filling up leave some space at the top.

You'll be bummed out everytime you look at it but try and ignore it and keep riding....seasons half over already up here at least.

Cheers,
              Spyug.
              A 2-part urethane epoxy was used and a clear coat on top of it.

"Leave space at the top" Oh, now you tell me
              Victor Kolb
              '80 GS1100L -
              '85 GS550L -
              '04 Bandit 1200S - gone
              '17 Triumph Tiger 80 XRx

Comment

I hate to be cruel but do you have any pictures?
                before and after would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
                  I hate to be cruel but do you have any pictures?
                  before and after would be nice
                  You're a sick man, but here goes...

Before:

After:
                  Victor Kolb
                  '80 GS1100L -
                  '85 GS550L -
                  '04 Bandit 1200S - gone
                  '17 Triumph Tiger 80 XRx

Comment

After:
                    Victor Kolb
                    '80 GS1100L -
                    '85 GS550L -
                    '04 Bandit 1200S - gone
                    '17 Triumph Tiger 80 XRx

Comment

ouch...

Comment

Oh, that hurts... stock repro. color and pin-stripping to boot. Nice paint job- ruined. I would definitely break something.
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I always fill up before the ride, not to park the bike with a full tank when I get back.
                          McLoud
                          '79 GS850
                          `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                          sigpic
                          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Only one coat of clear?
                            "Just Ducky, Thanks!"

Where I've ridden.

Comment

Originally posted by blokv1100 View Post
                              A 2-part urethane epoxy was used and a clear coat on top of it.

"Leave space at the top" Oh, now you tell me
                              Really? If you had a two part clear and it still did that, I might be wondering if there is a pinhole in the tank, for it to have bubbled up from underneath. Yeah I know it could do that on some rattle bomb, but sealed with a two part? Hrmmm.

Comment

Working...
                              X