Missed on a GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
    Speaking of ES's this one is in Utah, and seems like a good deal so far, though that will change in the last few minutes, I imagine. All the stock parts come with. The Bassani pipes are pretty rare any more & sound great.

Yes, this was brought to my attention by another forum member who knew the owner / bike and indicated that it was a good bike. I would guess that it'll go substantially higher but I'll be watching it anyway.

A complete 3000 mile ES rolling frame with all bodywork, minus motor for $1000 to $1200, sounds like a good deal....depending on availability/price of a good motor.
    Tony.
    The cost for the correct engine is what I would worry about, but if it is as described it might be good. The picture the seller elected to post for the sale of the bike showed the engine still installed, so I have to wonder what else might be missing or what condition the frame / components were in after the engine was removed.

At any length, I'll still be watching over the coming months.

On the flipside however I would prefer a red or black 1100E. The ESD is nice but the blue over white isn't my first choice.

thanks for the tip

steve a
    Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2008, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Free GS

I hate to even say this but my GS 1100E was a freebie. Have a friend who lived in Lubbock Texas that was moving. He had this thing sitting in a parking lot for two years with a torn weathered cover barely on it. I called him and asked him what he was going to do with that old motorcycle and he said " nothing I am leaving it in the parking lot, do you want it? come and get it and its yours".....no brainer I took a day off work jumped in my truck and drove 7 hours to get it. Got it home purchased a new battery, rebuilt the carbs and it fired first try I road it about 100 miles that day and the rest is history.....that was a year ago, here it is today in the middle of my rebuild..

Comment

Speaking of ES's this one is in Utah, and seems like a good deal so far, though that will change in the last few minutes, I imagine. All the stock parts come with. The Bassani pipes are pretty rare any more & sound great.

Just under 20 hours to go, bid is at $1525, reserve is not met.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
          I hate to even say this but my GS 1100E was a freebie. Have a friend who lived in Lubbock Texas that was moving. He had this thing sitting in a parking lot for two years with a torn weathered cover barely on it. I called him and asked him what he was going to do with that old motorcycle and he said " nothing I am leaving it in the parking lot, do you want it? come and get it and its yours".....no brainer I took a day off work jumped in my truck and drove 7 hours to get it. Got it home purchased a new battery, rebuilt the carbs and it fired first try I road it about 100 miles that day and the rest is history.....that was a year ago, here it is today in the middle of my rebuild..

I want one of those corbin seats for my soon to be 1100ES. they look slick and comfy as all get out..

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post

You are a very lucky guy! I wish I had a friend with a neglected / unwanted 1100E sitting in a parking lot somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Florida Guy View Post
              It's already gone.
              Yep. Went the night I contacted him.

One good thing came out of it, though. This is another pic of the Edwardsville bike. The backrest now resides on my bike....and it only cost me $20! I literally "fell" into that deal thanks to Zook. Woot! Backrest looks brand new.

Comment

I picked this one up of Craigs list after it had been posted a couple times. Missing a few parts, has a clutch issue but does run.

V
                Gustov
                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                80 GS 550 L
                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Here's one

In, or around Cincinnati.

Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Ok, now I'm getting depressed.....

Comment

Originally posted by glenlloyd View Post
                      Ok, now I'm getting depressed.....
                      Cheer up here another in Wisconsin.

sigpic

1979 GS1000E
                      1982 GS1100GL
                      2008 Bandit1250S

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/jsrose-gs/

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrash View Post
                        Cheer up here another in Wisconsin.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/808624222.html
                        I know...saw that one a while back. I thought I had emailed the seller about it but apparently I didn't. Appleton is a good distance away but I would probably go if I knew for certain that the bike was worth the effort.

There was also another in IL recently, a red one, that the seller sent pics of to me before last weekend. He said he would be gone over the weekend and would email me back when he returned. The ad evaporated during the course of the weekend so I assume it sold too.

I'll keep watching and see if something doesn't turn up as it gets colder. As someone else aptly pointed out, when the weather starts to turn a lot of bikes seem to shake loose, and in some cases at pretty good prices.

steve a

Comment

A lot of these bikes were sold in the US. A lot... so don't worry! Your ship will come in!
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                          X