Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detonation for sure. Lean running and bad gas I suspect. Did the intake O-rings ever get replaced? Was the idle hanging (sure sign of leaks in the intake system)?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Well, More bad news guys.

Last night that i took the pistons out, it was too windy (i have no clean inside shop to work) and i covered the engine right away to keep the dust out. I took a close look at the cylinders, there some score marks in all cylinders but they are not deep. In fact my finger nails doesn't even catch on them, so that's good.

Intake valves are perfect shape, exhaust valves not so much but workable.

the metal chunks from the pistons have melted and broke to pieces everywhere. i have to open the case completely to clean everything otherwise it'll be more trouble. (i found a empty garage that i can work in once i get to that stage.

The head is fine including the cams. the cam chain is not broken.

Now the bad news,

The metal chunks already have done the damage. #3 rod bearings are all gone. it has 1/8" play on either direction. the other three are suspected as well but not much of movement.

The camchain guides (the long plastic black thingys) are worn out and cracked, and all pistons and rings have to be changed. and that's just the internal engine diagnostic. I have to check my carbs, petcock and every possible air leak en rout to the motor.

I think this motor is just too gone to be worth fixing with what little tool i have. i don't even have a spring compressor to put the valves back on (i took them out with a short pipe and a hammer, the old hillbilly way.)

What would you do? i love this bike but i think it's becoming a pain as it gets older.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff.saunders View Post
        I would start at the petcock. I suspect the filter on the petcock may be clogged with crud from particles in the fuel.

You may need to check the carbs as well.

Have you been running inline fuel filters?

One additional thing to check - the filler cap itself. There's a breather vent in the cap. If that is clogged or partially blocked fuel will not flow effectively out of the tank.
        I tried to get some gas out from the tank to wash the parts and the flow wasn't that great, i remember it used to flow much faster, i'll take it apart tomorrow to see.

Did the intake O-rings ever get replaced? Was the idle hanging (sure sign of leaks in the intake system)?

The intake boots where shot and i was changing them in Buenos Aires but it never made it there. i know it was leaking air but i never thought to this extent. plus we where cursing well below 5000 rmp for at least 1500km since i was traveling with the guys on the 125cc Yamahas. maybe going slow killed it :P
        Last edited by Guest; 12-10-2010, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Chris, can you get ahold of another bike and continue the trip without killing your funds? Personally, I think I would look at what I wanted to do as far as this quest you are on. How important is it for you to continue it? Is it something you can pick back up later after either fixing it or getting a new one without too much trouble?

No easy answers but know we're here to support you whichever way you play it.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Chris, This guy LADRI@DR.COM
            is a GSR member that lives in Buenos Aires. I remember he had a mechanic familiar with GS's. Wouldn't hurt to contact him if he is still at this address. He is not very good at answering PM's

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              Chris, can you get ahold of another bike and continue the trip without killing your funds? Personally, I think I would look at what I wanted to do as far as this quest you are on. How important is it for you to continue it? Is it something you can pick back up later after either fixing it or getting a new one without too much trouble?

No easy answers but know we're here to support you whichever way you play it.
              The trouble is that everything is so expensive here. This beat up GS850 (if it had an argentine title) would sell somewhere around $4000 USD. A simple 125cc bike is 2000 bucks here. uruguay is the same, Chile is worse and Paraguay is so poor that finding a decent bike is almost impossible. And they are all 2-3000 miles away from me.

I'm thinking a new motorcycle, preferably a dual sport is the answer. i can't risk spending the time and money on this bike and having it breakdown in Bolivia next month because i missed a metal chunk hidden in an oil passage.

A Suzuki DR650 would be a perfect replacement but it cost almost $12000 down here. I need the big motorcycle companies to pitch in. i already gave Suzuki a 8 series documentary for free (BBC from Jan, 1st) i hoe they man up and send out a bike. i'll try to call the on monday.

Rich,

Thanks for the email address, i'll shoot him an email right away.

Thanks to all of you for being so supportive, that's another reason i don't want to change the GS because i know i can get the help here anytime anywhere in the world.

Comment

Honestly Chris I think you answered your own question albeit knowing it's going to be expensive. But I have to say, there are plenty of folks on here that don't have GSs as their primary bike and they still get plenty of help. I can't see anyone leaving you stranded just because you don't have a GS...it'll just mean we'll have to do more research first.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I have the engine out of my 80 GS850 just sitting in my garage. It ran great in my 82. There is at least one broken exhaust stud though and the valves need to be adjusted. I can ship my valve adjustment kit with it though. Everything else can be swapped (aside from the drive shaft which I would include). I do not have the money to ship it down there though. It's here in Maine. If I could get someone to ship it for me, I can drain the oil, crate it and get it shipped to you. Anyone have the money to spare?

Comment

Will somebody please donate a motorcycle to this worthy cause?
                    (So I don't have to)

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
                      I have the engine out of my 80 GS850 just sitting in my garage. It ran great in my 82. There is at least one broken exhaust stud though and the valves need to be adjusted. I can ship my valve adjustment kit with it though. Everything else can be swapped (aside from the drive shaft which I would include). I do not have the money to ship it down there though. It's here in Maine. If I could get someone to ship it for me, I can drain the oil, crate it and get it shipped to you. Anyone have the money to spare?
                      Any idea what the shipping would be? I'm sure I can't cover it all, but I can contribute.

I understand the idea to ride something newer, especially if it was sponsored. Clearly both are preferable. Failing that, I have to say, the problems so far are things we know how to deal with permanently. The drive spline we know how to fix. 30 year old rubber seals and intake pipes, we know should be replaced. If we do ship an engine, we should make sure all the external seals are new.

If not for an accidental lean mix, the GS would still be going strong. Any carbureted bike could fall prey to a clogged fuel flow. Still, I hope someone comes through with a sponsorship. That would be ideal.
                      Dogma
                      --
                      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I can pay half the shipping cost. I saw a price of 500, but I had to uncheck the "engine" box in this particular freight calculator.

Anyone do a lot of overseas shipping and can come up with a firm number?
                        Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Unbelievable story so far Chris. It's truly amazing you made it really. On a bike that old, with no serious injuries. It's a huge accomplishment, and all the people you have educated and helped on the way, inspiring. I've been reading "The long way down" and it made me think of you and the heat the bike is going to have endure. If I had the funds I'd be sending you a new BMW as your cause is as worthy if not more than some. Best of luck, and relish in your achievement thus far.
                          Rob
                          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thank you so much guys, I'm glad i'm not riding a Honda as i would probably be riding a donkey soon out of Argentina if i didn't have you guys.

Matt,

That's very generous of you, i don't really know how to thank you. A complete running engine would be less hassle than trying to fix this thing up. I can remove the broken exhaust bolt and adjust the valves. the top end is in OK shape on mine and i can cannibalize it to make a solid engine out of both.

spchips and Dogma,

Thank you, thank you and thank you and another thank you. Just when i thought it was the end of the road for this old gal, you guys are keeping it alive.

My internet is very slow and will loose it after tonight as i have to move back to the farm (where the bike is) so if anyone knows anything about international shipping, please chime in.

The engine has to come to Mar del Plata, Argentina and the address is:

2437 Almafuerte St.
                            7600 Mar de Plata.
                            Argentina R.

Jeff already has all the gaskets needed to make it leak proof and i think Jared has a spare spline for the rear shaft that could work.

I have the internet until tonight, please keep me posted to see if the shipping is a possibility.

In the long run, i'll call every major and minor motorcycle company for sponsorship, if that doesn't work, we'll sign a petition with 1000 signatures :P

AZR,

Thanks for the kind words, it was amazing to listen to Claudio's stories from long Way Down. Paul Jackson the editor of the series was with us too. The Africa is going to be hot, i can feel the heat coming here already.

Comment

Great to hear all this great support from you guys. I missed a call from Chris last night but good to see something is happening here. I really dont know the best way to ship can can check that out on Monday.

Chris should anything be done on the engine state side before it goes to you?

I have never done a full engine swap so not really sure, but if I could get a last minute wrenching party together with the NE guys we could clean it up.

Also Im sure we can get the parts together and ship it all at once, but thats if that is the route you want to go. Cynthia wants a board meeting soon so maybe this can all be part of that, deciding what path to go.

Sean, is there anyway you can give the engine a once over rather than chip in for shipping? I know you got experience and anything you can do is way better than me and better than Chris trying to do it down there. If this is the plan or best plan I can drive up tomorrow and get the engine from Matt and get it to Sean, then call around Monday and find the best way to ship once its ready to go.

Think I got both your guys numbers, I can call in the am
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-11-2010, 09:41 PM.

Comment

so what does a dry engine weigh?

Comment

Working...
                                X