This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im in the group that did the aftermarket gasket... then did oem again later

Trying to call Chris right now... calling cards suck. Might need to set up a skype as argentina # and try that later when I got a headset. On the road at McDonalds wifi heading to get the engine.

Comment

Packing a motor

Wow, Chris, heartbreaking to read of the damage and heartwarming to read the responses and offers of genuinely helpful help!

I'm a packaging expert, but no-where near these guys to help them pack up the beast. But I've designed and tested packaging and also shipped some awkward and expensive stuff in my day, so here's my $.02:

The cradle idea sounded good. Even simpler, if you're splitting it in half, you might could ship each piece in a regular corrugated box if you strap the beast down to a piece of 3/8" plywood or similar that has the same dimensions at the internal dimension of the base of the box.

The cradle will be needed if you can't find a way for it to lay flat on the board. I would want to drill some strategic holes in the board and use insulated residential-gauge copper wire to strap it to the board if you don't have access to pallet-strapping equipment. Main thing is, something you can get reasonably tight, and something that won't stretch. If the straps cross cooling fins or other breakable parts at an awkward angle, best to put a small pad of corrugate or similar between the strap and the engine.

A small amount of padding between the engine and the board is a good idea, but mostly to help it grip the board, nothing that will compress and leave your straps loose.

Then use resilient padding around it to keep it from tipping internally if the box should happen to get placed on its side. Preferably a material like expanded polyethylene (EPE), which is the stuff they usually use to put around PC towers when they ship them. EPE will work better than expanded polystyrene (aka EPS or styrofoam - used on smaller gear like dvd payers and monitors) because it can compress and rebound whereas EPS protects by deforming permanently, and doesn't protect well against multiple impacts.

If it won't sit even on the board, you can also consider blocks or wedges of EPE to form that cradle, just make sure they're placed or compressed so that they won't come loose in transit. EPE cuts easy and straight with a sharp chef's knife, curved cuts go best with a gently serrated blade or an electric knife, if you can sneak that out of the kitchen.

Important: Make sure the shipping label with the bar code goes on top. UPS data says that packages travel label-up more than 80% of the time, regardless of this-end-up labels.

I'm going to see what I can find out about DOT regs and customs where Chris is.

So aside from that meager advice, all I can offer is a few bucks to a paypal account once there is one, and my prayers and well-wishes for your continued journey!
      Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2010, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Roostabunny,

It sounds like you're the man to talk to about how to ship. For giving options, see post #360 in this thread. Perhaps we need a temporary sticky somewhere more visible in the forum.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Hi guys,

I have to make this quick as the internet cafe is closing for fiesta and have to walk back the 5 miles to the farm. The bottom end is gone, beyond the tools i have or the parts i can get. The replacement engine is the only way to go. I took the engine out and it's ready for a new one. i salvaged everything i could keep as spare including the Stator, starter, ignition,...

I sent a long email to Jared so he'll update you with the steps. here's some pictures to keep you entertained.

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you everyone.

Comment

Thank God for the hospitality down there, too. That thing's in a sorry state. Did you manage to find a definite cause?

I missed that windshield's story. That must have been a scrape your leg moment.

Are the clutch disks worth nabbing? They're the only other "consumable" I can think of.

One other thing. Why did the coils come out?
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Probably because he personally rewound them himself

Also those are not spares the engine coming needs all the parts he pulled to match up with it.

I got the engine here in Mass, and email to Jeff at Z1 and will make a new thread on GSR meeting forum for a wrenching party this Sunday!

edit, thanks for the donations to go towards shipping. if you missed it please send what you can to my paypal so I can ship it out, or come to the wrenching party if your local. skateguy50@hotmail.com
              Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2010, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Hey guys, I wanted to post information about a freight forwarding company that ships to Argentina.

Here are the company name and details:

Lynden International
                Lynden provides solutions to your transportation and logistical challenges. Our multi-modal capabilities allow you to balance speed and budget by shipping via air, land, or sea.

Elaine 305-599-0228. You can also reach her at
                > 1-800-926-5703

Hopefully we can get Chris up and running again so he can continue his mission.

Comment

Thank you for coming here to post the info, Chris mentioned someone from another forum had some info to share. I will call them tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Comment

Hey fellas, just a side note as you're wrenching (and wish I could be there!).

This may already be obvious, but you'll want to end up with an engine that's as clean and free of petroleum products as possible. Is it going with the carbs, or just the castings and mechanicals?

I've got calls out to a couple of logistics folks for advice and planning to call that Lyndon company that JourneyRider posted about to see what an Argentina-experienced person has to say.

Here's one thing I'd like to know as soon as possible - weight and dimensions of the packages. Even an estimate of dims will be helpful at this point. That will be the basis for any freight quotes.

Edit - Oh, and Skate Guy, can you PM me your address? I'm working with Cynthia to get an approximate address for Chris at the other end.
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-16-2010, 12:07 PM. Reason: more better questions

Comment

Thats for the information, I got a call in and an email followup with lots of detailed information. Chris previiously posted the address here a few pages back it is all going to.

O. Christopher Sorbi
                      2437 Almafuerte St
                      7600 Mar de Plata
                      Argentina R.

I gave some rough estimates on the finished crate size and weight trying to oversize if anything for quotes. (28-32"x34-36"x28-32" and 200-250lbs). They have a location in Boston but the nearest international location is in NYC. I will wait and see what they can do and if needed drive it down there but the Boston office is like 15 minutes from my work.

Comment

I'm overwhelmed with all of your generosity and kindness. Even with the Xmas around the corner, you guys are making thing happen and i just wanted to say that i'm truly indebted to every single one of you.

I guess there's nothing to do on my part other than editing videos and writing. It's quite boring to be honest. i read two books, watched 14 movies and edited hours of footage in 5 days but i'm still bored.

I'm helping out the farm owner in painting, cutting wood,... to keep busy and him happy. I scored a very old bicycle today that i can ride the 5 miles into town. the tires are shot, no brakes and the saddle hangs to one side but it's still faster than walking. It feels like the early 1900 here. Otamendi is a small town and it's as safe as Vatican.

The only obstacle is getting passed a psycho dog on my route that chased me for 5 minutes while biting on my combat boots.it was a good workout. If you don't hear from me in two days, the dog killed me finally.

I'm just waiting down here while you guys are busy. Thank you again for everything.

Matt Hanscom, You rock buddy. Thanks a million for the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
                          Thats for the information, I got a call in and an email followup with lots of detailed information. Chris previiously posted the address here a few pages back it is all going to.

O. Christopher Sorbi
                          2437 Almafuerte St
                          7600 Mar de Plata
                          Argentina R.

I gave some rough estimates on the finished crate size and weight trying to oversize if anything for quotes. (28-32"x34-36"x28-32" and 200-250lbs). They have a location in Boston but the nearest international location is in NYC. I will wait and see what they can do and if needed drive it down there but the Boston office is like 15 minutes from my work.
                          Sounds like you're on it with the forwarder, dude! Chances are that weight will put it out of air freight range, at least with any major carrier. 150lbs is about the limit, so you're looking at ocean for the best cost.

They may be willing to pick it up at your place of business, or truck it from their Boston location. Wouldn't surprise me. I mean, for an additional charge of course, but domestic freight rates aren't too bad, esp if they're wrapped in with a whole international delivery. They call it dock-to-dock. Gosh, I feel ignorant admitting this, but I had to look up Argentina on a map - it's all the way down there!

I'm doing some checking on customs. Chris, I don't suppose you've got non-profit status from the Argentine government?

Comment

Originally posted by shirazdrum View Post
                            I'm overwhelmed with all of your generosity and kindness. Even with the Xmas around the corner, you guys are making thing happen and i just wanted to say that i'm truly indebted to every single one of you.

I guess there's nothing to do on my part other than editing videos and writing. It's quite boring to be honest. i read two books, watched 14 movies and edited hours of footage in 5 days but i'm still bored.

I'm helping out the farm owner in painting, cutting wood,... to keep busy and him happy. I scored a very old bicycle today that i can ride the 5 miles into town. the tires are shot, no brakes and the saddle hangs to one side but it's still faster than walking. It feels like the early 1900 here. Otamendi is a small town and it's as safe as Vatican.

The only obstacle is getting passed a psycho dog on my route that chased me for 5 minutes while biting on my combat boots.it was a good workout. If you don't hear from me in two days, the dog killed me finally.

I'm just waiting down here while you guys are busy. Thank you again for everything.

Matt Hanscom, You rock buddy. Thanks a million for the engine.

I'm glad that you're able to do something productive with your time. By the time you leave, that dog will probably be your friend!

and btw, Don't mention the engine. I probably wouldn't have done anything with it for years. It was a solid engine while I used it and I don't doubt that it still is.

Originally posted by Roostabunny View Post
                            Sounds like you're on it with the forwarder, dude! Chances are that weight will put it out of air freight range, at least with any major carrier. 150lbs is about the limit, so you're looking at ocean for the best cost.
                            They are planning on splitting the engine apart... not splitting the case but taking the top end off and shipping them in 2 halves instead of in one piece. That should put it under the 150 easily enough.. or pretty darn close to it anyway.

Also, I didn't send any carbs with the engine and I don't think they have any other ones to send.

Comment

Link to sending $$$ to a Paypal account?

Daniel

Comment

Thanks, sent.

Comment

Working...
                                X