My '82 GS550MZ Refit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gs scott View Post
    I'm willing to bet the horn button above will fit your 550. If it doesn't, I"ll buy it from you and pay double shipping to get it to my house!
    I'm going to wait till everything is up and running well before I order anything else. No need to spend the loot on a horn if I'm not on the road...lol. But I will try this when I get that far and let you know.

Comment

another question: How hard is it to put tires on yourself? I bought tires that cost less then the cost of the install (tires - $84 for the set, install - $90 for the set).

It looks mess, and I don't know that I want to mess with taking the breaks apart.

I don't think I am going to do this part of the project myself, but I was curious.

Comment

First of all.....quit adding up everything you're spending. You are not likely to spend less than what the bike is worth to get it running and riding properly. Although you do have one of more desireable models.....IMHO

As for the carbs.....do this, it's all you need to do.....period...you can call it whatever you want.

When you buy a +-20 year old bike, it's going to need some money to get it roadworthy. After the initial expenditures, you'll be set...except for tires, brake pads, maybe a cable or two.......The point is that, these bikes are not new. You cannot expect to jump on it and ride, unless someone else has already done the maintenence required.

I have close to $2000 in my 750.....I think....h*ll, it could be more than that, and I couldn't sell it for $800 today.

The only way to break even on one of these bikes is to find it in someone's garage and he lets you have it for next to nothing. It generally takes +-$600 to get an older bike up and running right....after you buy it.

Do it because you love the bike......you'll never break even.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

break and clutch levers ($12)
          instrument cluster ($63)
          battery ($54)
          $84 for tires, $10 for lens
          Spark plugs ($10)
          Total investment so far: $1,206.00

Riding a classic motorcycle you put time, money, blood, sweat, and tears into (priceless)

Brad bk

Comment

Originally posted by detorn View Post
            1. I don't know what that means, but I'll look it up.

2. What exactly is the difference between a cleaning and a rebuild? I've seen two different type of instruction sets, one when you leave everything attached and on the bar and just spray it, one where it is completely separated and dipped. Is that the difference? So do I not need to buy the dip? Seemed like a waste since I'm only going to use it once anyway.

While I was outside today I pulled one of the plugs just to check it out. I think we can call this fouled, you tell me

I returned the first set of tires I ordered today at a cost of $40. Thats the exact kind of mistake I can no longer make. Will be running all future orders through here before I buy. The new front should arrive today, the rear is still "on order."

total investment so far: $1,190.65
            1. Your bike has mechanical valve settings - you take off that cover on the top of the motor and check the clearance with a feeler guage and adjust the screw accordingly to spec
            2. Both are essentially cleaning, but spraying the outside is worthless as there are tiny passages that need to be cleaned out. You don't absolutely have to dip them, some people boil them in different solutions - lemon juice, Simple Green or ? (someone just posted about some other product, I can't locate the post)
            3. Tires - cheap tires are just that - cheap. $90 to mount 2 tires is really high by local standards ($25/ea)
            4. Plugs - show us the inside, not the side

Take a deep breath on this project - you've got a lot to learn, So I recommend you peruse the Tech section (where most of your questions should be posted) and use the Search function for Tires and other subjects. There's a lot to read up on if you want to own a 30 year old bike.

And I agree, don't keep track of what you spend. I can tell you right now that you'll overspend and you'll have to keep the bike forever to amortize your investment. Just imagine what I've spent on mine over 31 years.
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Where in Philly r u? I am not far in Media Pa and have been playing with these bikes for a long time. Pull the carbs and get to it. any questions or if help is needed let me know. I have everything that is needed to get those carbs ready to go.
              As far as tires go. They can be done by yourself you just need some tire irons. Did you order new tubes too? I would change them as they are so old. Cycle Gear in Springfield should have them in stock as should your local shop. if not they can order them for u. try and give your local shop the business if possible. lord knows they need it.

Comment

Just to be clear the valve clearance is the same as the tappet clearance? I've looked over the manual and this seems doable. The only issue I will have is I don't have a torque wrench to replace the top of the motor, but I should be able to borrow one.

My goal with this keeping track of everything with this thread is to be as complete as possible. Though there is a lot of good information on this site, a lot of it is fragmented, incomplete, and assumes prior knowledge. So even when I do find info in other threads, I will link back to it here and annotate it, so it is complete as possible.

I want to have as much information in this thread as possible, not just for me, but for the next guy who naively gets into this kind of project. Likewise, I want to keep a running total of the loot I spend so the next person like me who thinks he can get a $500 bike and ride for a summer, knows what they are actually going to spend by the time they get on the road, it's not about return on investment.

Comment

Originally posted by doug g View Post
                  Where in Philly r u? I am not far in Media Pa and have been playing with these bikes for a long time. Pull the carbs and get to it. any questions or if help is needed let me know. I have everything that is needed to get those carbs ready to go.
                  As far as tires go. They can be done by yourself you just need some tire irons. Did you order new tubes too? I would change them as they are so old. Cycle Gear in Springfield should have them in stock as should your local shop. if not they can order them for u. try and give your local shop the business if possible. lord knows they need it.
                  This is awesome man, it is great to have someone so close. I have some tools, but not the calipers or dip for the carbs, and the torque wrench for the motor cover (was assuming I was going to have to buy it for one time use, it would be great if I didn't have to). PM me your email address and lets talk when you get some time.
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2009, 11:44 PM.

Comment

jusr read BassCliff's mega-welcome all the way through instead of just looking it over... feel a little silly now about some of the questions I've asked.

Comment

.....and the torque wrench for the motor cover (was assuming I was going to have to buy it for one time use, it would be great if I didn't have to). PM me your email address and lets talk when you get some time.

You would be mistaken if you think buying a torque wrench and GS ownership are a one time deal lol

I have owned my bike what.. a couple weeks? Have already turned every nut and bolt outside of the engine on the entire bike. Replaced about 50 small parts, and make adjustments on a daily basis at this point, so investing in some tools will provide you with a lifetime of service!

Comment

DETORN,

I think you have found a sweet motorcycle and I wish you luck. I don't think that are that many of those 550m out there to be found.

By the way...

Big T Quote "1. Your bike has mechanical valve settings - you take off that cover on the top of the motor and check the clearance with a feeler guage and adjust the screw accordingly to spec" .

I think Big T is mistaken in stateing you have "Mechanical Valve settings". I'm pretty sure you have shims that need to be swapped around to bring valves to spec. Not that hard to do, once you have done it once or twice.

cg
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                          DETORN,

I think you have found a sweet motorcycle and I wish you luck. I don't think that are that many of those 550m out there to be found.

I'm pretty sure you have shims that need to be swapped around to bring valves to spec. Not that hard to do, once you have done it once or twice.

cg
                          Thanks for the compliment. And you are correct about the shims. I read though my manual once it got brought up.

Comment

Originally posted by 79FiveFifty View Post
                            You would be mistaken if you think buying a torque wrench and GS ownership are a one time deal lol

I have owned my bike what.. a couple weeks? Have already turned every nut and bolt outside of the engine on the entire bike. Replaced about 50 small parts, and make adjustments on a daily basis at this point, so investing in some tools will provide you with a lifetime of service!
                            If you needed a computer fixed I have every tool you could need. I just have never wrenched on a car or bike before... This is serious, and I haven't mentioned it yet, but I've only had my drivers license for a month, my M permit maybe two weeks now. it is all very new to me.

The main point is, yes I will get all of these things, but can't get them all now or all at once. So it would be good to have some local support. specially someone who know these specific bikes. And the one time thing I just meant more the dip, than the wrench.
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-15-2009, 03:52 AM.

Comment

This is awesome man, it is great to have someone so close. I have some tools, but not the calipers or dip for the carbs, and the torque wrench for the motor cover (was assuming I was going to have to buy it for one time use, it would be great if I didn't have to). PM me your email address and lets talk when you get some time.
                              I check this page daily. just pm me. talk to ya soon

Comment

help finding a part.

The carb rebuild series says to replace the Rubber pilot jet plug, but I can't seem to find it on the fiche.

it also says to replace the drain screw gasket, so i need to find that too.

Can someone help me find these and the intake boots?

And just to double check, is this what I want to buy when/if I replace the petcock? Am I correct in assuming that I'll need to but the o-ring too? Going to try to get through as much of this as possible over the next three weeks, so I'll need to order soon.

I'm assuming all the o-rings it says to replace are what I ordered from Robert Barr...

Anything else I need?

Thanks
                                Last edited by Guest; 12-16-2009, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X