No announcement yet.

100 MPH and blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GUYS!!! I DID have a helmet on!!! Glasses just blew off from the wind.....
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Your comment reminded me of a wonderful moment I had on a highly-modified 750 Honda, around 1976. I think the owner said it was bored to 914 with all race mods done.

I was also wearing an open-face helmet, and sunglasses at the time.

I rolled open the throttle about half way as the clutch was released and the front wheel came up about a foot or so. Off we went, front afloat. Change to second, still afloat at the front. Move to third, tire still taking air, and at about 100mph my eyes were tearing so much I had to put the front tire down and back off the throttle.

I loved the experience, but always wondered how fast that bike would really go on one wheel.

The experience taught me there are very good benefits in riding behind a windshield, as that was what I was accustomed to on the Guzzi I had toured across Ontario and a dozen US States.

A face-first landing on pavement at 60 mph while wearing a 3/4 helmet also taught me that having shards of sunglasses plucked from the flesh that is left of your cheek , followed by a bit of facial reconstruction, is not a nice thing to endure.
      "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
      Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        GUYS!!! I DID have a helmet on!!! Glasses just blew off from the wind.....
        Just accept it Chuck, some people just don't read the whole post. I would recommend goggles like the off road cyclists wear. I know nobody is going to change your mind on the helmet you choose to wear or not, it's kind of like Politics and Religion. Myself, I prefer my modular helmet, just bought a new one, it's real nice, even has the flip down sunshades, works for me. Have fun, be safe, I might actually get to go for a ride this week, cleared the ice from my driveway yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
          Just accept it Chuck, some people just don't read the whole post.
          Then there are some that only read the FIRST post in the thread. Nowhere in the original post was a helmet mentioned.
          There was a question asked (nicely, I think), then it was answered in the third post.

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
          Myself, I prefer my modular helmet, just bought a new one, it's real nice, even has the flip down sunshades, works for me.
          Which one did you get? My #1 son got a Nolan (101?) that has the sunshade, but it was external. The only way to use it was to have the visor down, too. Since I am always behind a windshield, I seldom have the visor down.

My sister and her husband got the newer version (Nolan 102?) that have the sunshade on the inside. Better, but it does not cover the opening, leaving major areas where bright light can come in. Useless, in my opinion, at least in my case.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I bought a ZOX Genessis. It has the sunshield on the inside, standard faceshield on the outside. I bought it from JC Whitney, free shipping, and it cost me $200.00. It felt good when I put it on, it appears to be a quality helmet, even though it is made in China. I'll have a better answer on comfort, noise level, etc. later this week when I go for a ride. Right now, it's 36 deg and overcast, I'm hoping by Thursday it'll be back up in the 40s and sunny, I'll be ready for a ride then.

Oh, Steve, I guess I'd seen in a later post that the OP said he was wearing a skid lid, so that's why I made the comment I did (and the poster who asked for the same info I'd already posted on the seat I have for sale).

Now, back to the original content of the post, I won't wear regular sunglasses to keep my eyes safe, it's illegal in MN, and I have had bugs tuck themselves under the glasses, even with the windshield, they've swooped over and hit me.

Comment

Sunglasses

I tried wearing my prescription sunglasses with no visor last June, but unfortunately for me, located in lovely midwestern Ontario as I am, I did not take the June bugs into account.

Now for those of you not familiar with the June bug, they can range from about the size of a large pea, to the size of a jawbreaker candy.
              Not fun hitting you in the face at 100kph!

I was tooling along on a shakedown run, doing plug chops, when THWAP!
              Felt like someone slapped me right on the cheekbone. Not content with merely causing some small pain, and causing some mild cursing, the little bugger decided that it would use it's death throws to best effect by climbing up under my sunglasses.

I am not usually one to "freak-out", but instinctually this provoked a near-frantic reaction from me. Instinct kind of sucks sometimes. Off came the glasses, back of the left hand futily pawing at the right eye to clear away the distraction.

Around this time I noticed from the edge of the peripheral vision that that ditch looked awfully close to me.

In my fervor to remove the bug and guts from my right eye, I had wandered onto the very edge of the pavement. In an effort to correct this, left hand went back to the bars, and I very carefully braked to a stop on the gravel shoulder. Wait, where are my sunglasses???

A half hour of searching later I found them. Funny how much distance one can cover in a few seconds eh? I got lucky, they landed in the grass on the side of the ditch. Not even a scratch.

So long story short, sunglasses, no thanks. I have a helmet with an internal shaded visor now. Highly recommend one, no fuss, no muss, one flick and down come the shades. I can even wear my regular eyeglasses without fear of them being squashed or moved around by the shaded visor.

Comment

I rode a modular helmet when I first started riding (concept?) and then moved on to buying an HJC IS16, which has an integrated spring loaded sun visor. I found it to be big enough to work on a cruiser, my gs, and my roommates zx600. A good all around bike with a functioning sunshade for any riding style. just my $0.02.

Comment

100 and blind - first ride of the season

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  I took my 77 GS 750 out.today after a long winter of polishing the aluminum, wrenching on a new clutch and doing fork seals and such. Had to go around the street a few times to set the clutch release and get it all just right. I decided i wanted to play so i went out on I 75 and opened it up. I was nearing my exit and needed to be in the right lane. As i passed the car that was there to move over i looked back to be sure i was clear before scooting over. I was doing just a needle width over 100 at this time. As i looked my sunglasses blew off and the cold air made my eyes instantly water.. got it slowed down but that really sucked not being able to see clearly.. I absolutely drove the crap out of the bike all afternoon and had a ball!! Hit around 46 here in Detroit today and there were lots of bikes out..
                  Chuck,

Glad to see you get out so early in the season - you obviously did a good job with the wrenching over the long white season....

Up in New England, it rained all weekend... Last weekend however, was beautiful and in the 50s!! First real opportunity to get out and there were loads of bikes out. This week is supposed to be in the 50's and sunny with an optimistic view toward the weekend...

Sucks losing your shades like that. Over the years, thats happened to me a couple of times....

I started with a Bell Magnum (3/4) and sunglasses, but later ended up with a full face (and sunglasses) when I bought another bike and got the helmet as part of the deal. I suppose I could have bought another helmet, but funds were low, so I just used what I had. Turned out, I really liked it! Took a little getting used to, but I like it! I like fresh air too so I'm always riding around with the visor up and sunglasses. It really sucks riding home at night with sunglasses as your only eye protection, but with the full face, the shades go in the pocket and the visor comes down (cracked open a tad for fresh air.) Works out great at night! During the day, you still have to be careful checking your 6....

After 26 years, I finally retired the vintage Vetter full face and bought another Bell - an APEX (full face) - regularly $199, on sale for $99. (I bought mine used for $50 from a MC consignment store. The store is called "Kinda, Sorta Used". Great idea this guy has selling good stuff lightly used...) Anyway, with any luck, I'll be giving that a try this weekend! Maybe a ride up to Manchester NH for BB&S!

Hope you have a great safe season! And don't forget about your shades!
                  Scott
                  1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                  1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                  1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                  2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X