First ride in over 27 years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First ride in over 27 years!

Yeah that sounds like a long time..im old haha. I finally got my dad's old, rarely used, sitting in the shed for 25+ yrs, GS up and running after a bunch of little set backs. I drove this bike a few summers in high school so its kind of cool to get back to the first road bike I started on.

If any of you remember, as a teen, the first time you ever had a car on real roads, with other traffic...thats exactly how I felt today!! My heart is still pounding and got all the adrenaline in me! I know most of you have been riding a while, and maybe this is just old news, but wow what a blast!! I don't think I even got over 50mph, but going down the road windshield-less was awesome!! I have no where to go, but i may just go for another spin!

I drove it up to the local gas station to fill up, $10 for a fill! That was a bonus!

I have to thank all the people on this forum, who collectively answered all my questions and help me get the bike back on the road! Big thanks to basscliffs webpage of info and all who contributed to that.

I guess it's just nice to see some reward from all the little setbacks I've had while getting the bike up to working order. I got the bike in April and its been slow going getting it road worthy. I still have some minor bugs to work out, but at least I am able to get some fun out of it!!

Congrats! Post up some pics, after all your hard work.
    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Nice story,enjoy the rides and remember safety is #1.

1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

Well done old mate .
        I still get a rush every time I get out for a ride and I ride all the time ( for the last 40 years ) . It's what keeps us young .
        I'd worry more if it stops giving you a thrill .
        Have fun .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Stopped for a quick break...perfect weather today so might go out again!!

Comment

Mate that's awesome! So jealous but extremely happy for ya'

I'm hoping to get that feeling later this year... fingers crossed
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Rick,

Have to get together with some of the other members soon now that you got your ride going.

Comment

Nice to see on the road again.

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks all! Took the bike to work today, rush I had when I got to work was way better than a coffee! I am taking a safety class in a few weeks, not required but figured it can't hurt! Especially since I have not really ridden much.

Yeah Jason, got to meet up soon now that I got it going!

Comment

Now that makes a guy smile. Congratulations and here's to many, many safe trips on the open road.

Comment

I have no where to go, but i may just go for another spin!

There you go! It has nothing to do with getting somewhere -- other than the happy place inside your head.

Just as a reminder -- proper gear and practice all the time. Enjoy!
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2011, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Just over 100 miles added on the speedo since resurrection!

Comment

Feels good..dont it!! have you stopped smiling yet???
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hahaha chuck hahn.. I haven't! Not a good idea to smile when you dont have a full face helmet. Looking cool with that big old mouth open smile on my face...yeah right.

Comment

Just swallow...the bugs go down rather easily!!!!
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X