Travel Tales from the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning in Crainlarich.

Near Glen Coe, Scotland. The drama of this area rivaled Yosemite in my mind. I'm not a fan of Yosemite. Too many people.

Loch Ness...ho hum

Wiskey in the river?

Rothes. Stopped to visit a friend of a friend at the Eastbank Hotel. Nice people.

Met Jason77 along the way.

I camped at the Lazy Duck Hostel near Aviemore. Of the 9 people staying there 7 were Americans. We chatted around a campfire until midnight under a full moon. No rain....nice.
    Last edited by Charlie G; 09-17-2011, 07:26 PM.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

More Charlie! This is great

I'm guessing old Nessie didn't poke her head out of the water then?
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
        More Charlie! This is great

I'm guessing old Nessie didn't poke her head out of the water then?
        I think Nessie was possing for tourits snaps for 10 lbs a piece somewhere.

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post

cg
          Hahaha I see! Didn't want to part with the hard earned hey?
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

cg
            Or was he busy spinning some spanners on a GS? Whoops - getting confused - I was think of Nessism.....

That purple stuff was indeed heather. For some reason it's a rare habitat internationally and the UK has a high proportion of the world total. It grows where the soil nutrient level is very low.

I used to stay in the Crianlarich on business by the way - but not for years now. And you're right about the scenery; I spent a lot of time up there years ago and never got bored of it.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Yes Charlie, Winston has been a good sponsor for a very long time,he worked with Ryan Farquhar before Connor.I agree with Hampshire that area is beautiful and the roads are stunning( if the liquid sunshine stays away!),if you go back to Crainlarach, turn right at the post office signposted for Killin follow it until you get to the Landrover dealership-its easy to spot as they have an ex mountain rescue landy with 4 sets of caterpillar tracks instead of wheels.Turn left and follow that road till its end, if you have a bike it is nirvana,smoooth tarmac,a mix of wide open sweeping bends and a few tight turns,lovley scenery(but you will only notice this when you turn round to ride it again which if you have any soul YOU WILL) and best of all NO f"^%*ing CARAVANS!!!!. Keep the pics coming as I haven't been up that way for years.Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                Or was he busy spinning some spanners on a GS? Whoops - getting confused - I was think of Nessism.....

That purple stuff was indeed heather. For some reason it's a rare habitat internationally and the UK has a high proportion of the world total. It grows where the soil nutrient level is very low.

I used to stay in the Crianlarich on business by the way - but not for years now. And you're right about the scenery; I spent a lot of time up there years ago and never got bored of it.
                If it had been Nessin, he'd been stopping all the bikes telling them to do some basic maintaince. The guys taught me alot.

I enjoyed may stay at Crainlarich. I had A Gueiness and a local one on the recomendation of the bar tender. Something pale with a sweet aftertaste, like honey. Good food and friendly staff. I watched a little UK TV which was a treat. I could spend more time there. I can't go anywhere with out looking at the local trees and flora. The heather and thistle were beautiful.

A local girl in at the hostel said this tree was a Scot Pine. What do you think? I know it may be impossible from my shot.

Originally posted by Johnny Drummond View Post
                Yes Charlie, Winston has been a good sponsor for a very long time,he worked with Ryan Farquhar before Connor.I agree with Hampshire that area is beautiful and the roads are stunning( if the liquid sunshine stays away!),if you go back to Crainlarach, turn right at the post office signposted for Killin follow it until you get to the Landrover dealership-its easy to spot as they have an ex mountain rescue landy with 4 sets of caterpillar tracks instead of wheels.Turn left and follow that road till its end, if you have a bike it is nirvana,smoooth tarmac,a mix of wide open sweeping bends and a few tight turns,lovley scenery(but you will only notice this when you turn round to ride it again which if you have any soul YOU WILL) and best of all NO f"^%*ing CARAVANS!!!!. Keep the pics coming as I haven't been up that way for years.Johnny
                I need to go back sometime on a bike and explore these roads and the highlands to the north. I caught a little of the Edwardian Farming program on one of the TV stations while I was here.
                I read last night that the young man that won the 650 twin race at the Dunrod 150 was killed riding at the Manx. What a shame, 22 years old and wooped Farquar. Wayne Hamilton, I think?

I don't remember caravans so much, but there were many tour busses from Fort William to Inverness. I tried to stay clear of where they stopped.

Thanks for the comments. I'm enjoying sharing, but it's nice to know someone is watching.

cg
                Last edited by Charlie G; 09-18-2011, 09:29 PM.
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g

Comment

Fantastic, Charlie..
                  If I was any more envious they'd stick a Kawasaki badge on me.

Johnny, thanks for pointing the thread out to me.
                  Brace yourself, mate, I'll be coming over..

Comment

Wow! Humbling!

Wow, Glen Coe Scotland sure blows away Glencoe IL, USA!
                    You got some lovely pics of some thistle too. We got plenty of that growing in Michigan.
                    Bill
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Hey Charlie. Fowey is a beautiful harbour to stay in. You needed to be there on a Wednesday evening to see the small boats racing. Its amazing.

And as for turbo props, they are used on short flights rather than full twin engined jets here. Well, so much is close rather than the USA.

That XN85 was a model Suzuki sold here duirng 1985-1986. Had an issues with blowing turbo's so wasn't popular but went well. Plus you saw the other UK issues with bikes. RUST!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
                        Hey Charlie. Fowey is a beautiful harbour to stay in. You needed to be there on a Wednesday evening to see the small boats racing. Its amazing.

And as for turbo props, they are used on short flights rather than full twin engined jets here. Well, so much is close rather than the USA.

That XN85 was a model Suzuki sold here duirng 1985-1986. Had an issues with blowing turbo's so wasn't popular but went well. Plus you saw the other UK issues with bikes. RUST!

In some of the first photos I posted there is a group of small, single mast sail boats. At one point over the weekend they came from all over the harbor and started sailing around. I know that most seaside villages have a style of boat design that is unique to that location and I assume that this style was Fowey's. I was told the name of the style, but it has slipped my mind.

The small turbo props are used here to feed into the major hubs. I flew in one from Oregon to S.F.

I've lived places along the coast of the US, where the ocean causes anything to rust up in a few years. Luckly, where I live now, rust isn't so much of a problem.
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g

Comment

A local girl in at the hostel said this tree was a Scot Pine. What do you think? I know it may be impossible from my shot.
                          That is indeed a Scots pine - Pinus sylvestris. One of our 3 native conifers (the others being yew and juniper). The red bark is the giveaway. We would call the one in your photo a granny pine because of its shape - it's old and twisted (and there's no money in fellin' and sellin' your granny).
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                            That is indeed a Scots pine - Pinus sylvestris. One of our 3 native conifers (the others being yew and juniper). The red bark is the giveaway. We would call the one in your photo a granny pine because of its shape - it's old and twisted (and there's no money in fellin' and sellin' your granny).

I love the Granny tree saying...no felling or selling your granny. I have to be careful here not to get to off topic as I'm a carpenter who loves to talk trees, wood and their uses. I live in a community surrounded by forest, of which the local people used to derive a major part of their income from logging until enviromental concerns outweighted economic exploitation. I would have really liked to have seen a native Yew while in England. The local tribes here used the Pacific Yews (taxus brevifolia) for bows and was surprised while doing reasearch this year that England depended heavily upon your yew for the same. I've turned wooden bowls from both. Eyes glazed over and falling asleep yet?

cg
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g

Comment

Charlie - you must have driven by a churchyard. Every one has got a yew tree in there somewhere - a link back to a heathen past and evil spirits for some reason.
                              79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Wonderful travellog Charlie. One day I'll get back there mysel'. I especially like your pics of the hallowed grounds of Glencoe. A sad chapter in our history and one of the reasons we (Scots) still aren't owr (overly) friendly with the Sassenachs ( except our friends on this forum, of course ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_Glencoe

Thanks for sharing.

cheers,
                                Spyug
                                Last edited by Guest; 09-19-2011, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X