Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    Wonderful journey Charley.

Certainly a well developed skill for the Irish, riding a bike fast on wet roads.
    Thanks for the tire answer Johnny, Avon Roadriders are recommended by some of our members. Seeing them on Irish race bikes justifies them for me.

Bill
    Just to let everyone know(who is interested, i.e. Bill) the absoloute fastest RACE AVERAGE speed is 133.9mph in perfect conditions in the superbike race as printed in the race programme which equals 3 mins 18 point something seconds for 7.40 miles the superbike race we saw (overcast, damp in places) was 131.8 mph for the same distance according to road racing ireland magazine that means the doctor I was talking about was probably in the 120-125 mph lap bracket- impressed???.sorry to hijack the thread Charlie.Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
      Wonderful travellog Charlie. One day I'll get back there mysel'. I especially like your pics of the hallowed grounds of Glencoe. A sad chapter in our history and one of the reasons we (Scots) still aren't owr (overly) friendly with the Sassenachs ( except our friends on this forum, of course ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_Glencoe

Thanks for sharing.

cheers,
      Spyug
      Thank you for pointing the importance of Glencoe. Knowing, further adds to the dramatic impression the setting gave me. I've read two books on the history of Scotland in the last 5 years, but I'm terrible with retaining place and event names anymore. If someone had mentioned the slaughter of McDonalds, I would have remembered the event.

I didn't set out seeking historical places to visit. I hate crowds and tourists traps. I wanted to see lanscape and countryside. Feel the breeze, rain and hear streams. I was compelled to stop here, in the cool rain and take a few shots. Maybe no more than the sight of a rainbow or wanting to have a smoke, but simular to when I hear highland pipes played at sunset, the hair on the back of my neck stands, and I feel somewhat transported, it makes me wonder....

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Drummond View Post
        Just to let everyone know(who is interested, i.e. Bill) the absoloute fastest RACE AVERAGE speed is 133.9mph in perfect conditions in the superbike race as printed in the race programme which equals 3 mins 18 point something seconds for 7.40 miles the superbike race we saw (overcast, damp in places) was 131.8 mph for the same distance according to road racing ireland magazine that means the doctor I was talking about was probably in the 120-125 mph lap bracket- impressed???.sorry to hijack the thread Charlie.Johnny

No hi jack. That reminds me...There were speakers set up through out the course, which would broadcast who was leading the race and such. Everyonce in awhile you'd hear that so and so rider was clocked going through the speed trap at 191 MPH or more.

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Somewhere between Glencoe and Fort William I also stopped at pullout in the road, where there was a monument for WW2 Commandos. I should have taken a picture of the statues. The monument was grand, but what struck me was a small circle of stones and path that had been created, 100 feet away for soilders who had died reciently. I walked the path to this 30 foot circle and read the names of a few of the WW2 vets who had died. There, among the plaques, pictures and personal teasures friends and family had placed there was the picture of a young redheaded lad in his early twenties named Tom Sawyer, killed in Afganistan. A Scottish lad, who bears the name of a beloved American literarary character, killed in what I think of as an American conflict, caused me reflection.

I think this is the view from there.
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g

Comment

Full moon in Scotland. Ok, not that spectacular but I need to start somewhere.

It's Tuesday and I need to start heading south toward London. For some reason I want to get there and get it over. Maybe that I've been away from home awhile or am just dreading driving into Heathrow and returning this car. Since I moved to a more rural place 15 years ago I hate driving on motorways (freeways) and when I go to a city with stop lights, after the third I want to go home.

I head out on A-9 in a southerly direction.

I think this is in Northumberland. All I know about Northumberland is what Mark Knoffler has wrote of in song. I wanted to go through there and get an image. Rainy and green. I caught A-68 south of Edinburgh and have lunch in Jedburgh. Boy I can pick bad places to eat. I was desperate and went to a place that a tour bus was parked.

I think in in Durham county about now. I'm just driving not trying to get lost.

I found Durham and Northumberland pretty and looked like they would be good roads to ride a bike on.

This is the last of the countryside pictures as I focused on getting to London and didn't take any pictures for the next day and a half. I drove down to to Worksop from Aviemore. The green rolling hills turned to wheat fields as I hit A-1 and on to the M-1. Beautful fields of grain except when you get off the M-1 and find yourself on the middle of town, on a one way street headed toward who knows where and can't get turned around. I don't know How I got out of Doncaster but I'm never going back while I'm driving a car.

I stayed a a Red Lion motel on A-57, right off the M-1. I only mention it as there was this bright orange van with "Carpenter Oak" written on it's side the evening I pulled in. I went to Ireland in 2005 at Christmas time and they were in the middle of a building boom at the time. I always regreted not going up to one of the building sites and explaining that I was a builder and ask if I could tour there jobsite. The next morning, I spoke with one of the fellows who was also staying at the motel who worked for this company "Carpenter Oak". He seemed interested that I was a carpenter and took me over to the van and met the others of his crew, including one guy who had done a job in Oregon. He brought out a set of plans of the building they were working on and invited me to the site. They build what I would call post and beam construction, typical of 18 and 19 century in American homes and barns,. Something which I would be very interested in. I was dead set on getting to Heathrow today, as soon as possible and thanked him, but said no. A mile down the road I regret it, but it's to late. When you travel make the time to do it and not regret it. Good day.

cg

I'll finish up tomarrow with a few pictures of tourist places in London my daughter took me to.
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g

Comment

Hey Charlie, if you came down the A68 through County Durham to pick up the A1, you just about passed my front door, wish I`d known, I`d have put the kettle on !.
              "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
              1978 GS750
              1979 GS750 chop
              1979 GS550
              2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
              2000 Enfield Bullet 500
              1992 XV750 Virago
              2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Originally posted by tomo View Post
                Hey Charlie, if you came down the A68 through County Durham to pick up the A1, you just about passed my front door, wish I`d known, I`d have put the kettle on !.
                I thought of you on my way through Durham. I had no way to contact you once I left. Tea would have been nice. I came through mid day on a tuesday, so you may have been at work. Next time, maybe in two years.

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g

Comment

I stayed the night at motel near Worksop tuesday night and got up fairly early Wednesday to finish my final leg to London. I was in a bit of a rush to face what traffic and road nightmare may come upon me. What a breeze getting to the airport and finding the rental return. I took the underground into London and met my daughter at her work in North London and then back to her place.
                  I wanted to go to some art museums to see some of the great painting I admired since childhood and so we did on Thursday. Sorry no pictures.

Friday she insisted on taking me to Greenwich and the Tower of London. Up the river we went on a tour boat.

My daughter and I. I look a bit more rested at this point.

Tower bridge being raised for a sail boat.

The tower of London. (Seems small)

sigpic
                  83 GS1100g

Comment

What I believe to be ancient old chestnut tree in Greenwich.

The next morning I got up at 5:00 and headed to the "Underground" for several train to take me to Heathrow and home. I get there and my flight has been delayed a halh hour. Cool more time to wake up, only this delayed all my connecting flights home. 26 hours I walked in my front door at some un-godly hour and died. I hate Houston ( sorry Texicans)!

Great trip with some mishaps. Met some fine people. I didn't see King Aurthur or Robin Hood, maybe next time. Cheers, thanks for shareing your countries. I would like to request you (the people of the UK) to work on getting a single water tap on your sinks, which mixes the hot and cold water into one stream and I work on getting the rest of the U.S. to spell tyre right. Deal? Maybe you can think of sometime which is a better trade. Want Houston, TX and GW? Cheers.

Charlie G
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g

Comment

You got within about 5 miles or so of my house at the park... Did you walk up the hill to the Meridian?
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks again for sharing Charlie, I really enjoyed this thread
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                          What I believe to be ancient old chestnut tree in Greenwich.
                          Right again that's a sweet chestnut (as opposed to horse chestnut). Could have been in the Monty Python film - 'What did the Romans do for us?' 'Gave us the sweet chestnut tree'. They brought it with them back in AD10 or thereabouts and it's now naturalised.

I would like to request you (the people of the UK) to work on getting a single water tap on your sinks, which mixes the hot and cold water into one stream and I work on getting the rest of the U.S. to spell tyre right. Deal? Maybe you can think of sometime which is a better trade. Want Houston, TX and GW? Cheers.
                          Should have come to our house Charlie - both our sinks and the baths have mixer taps. Now let me see - how about getting the US to spell colour properly and put that syllable back in aluminium?
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            You got within about 5 miles or so of my house at the park... Did you walk up the hill to the Meridian?
                            We got off the tour boat at the river,went over past a masted ship they are restoring ("Cutty Sark" ?), the old naval college, maritime museum and up to the Meridian. My son went at Christmas time in the evening when they had a laser marking the meridian in the night sky. He was greatly impressed. I was more interested in architecture and trees. I was pointing out trees to my guides, boring my company, I'm sure. I did learn about the game of conkers in a round about way.

Five miles...I could have come over for tea! Cheers
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g

Comment

I thought of you on my way through Durham. I had no way to contact you once I left. Tea would have been nice. I came through mid day on a tuesday, so you may have been at work. Next time, maybe in two years.

cg
                              I should have sent you a phone number. I`m self employed so was probably at home, never mind, catch you next time around. Glad you had such a good time over here though, enjoyed the photos especially London, only been down south a couple of times, even though my wife was born and raised in Essex.
                              "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
                              1978 GS750
                              1979 GS750 chop
                              1979 GS550
                              2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
                              2000 Enfield Bullet 500
                              1992 XV750 Virago
                              2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

I think I said this before but I have to say it again...the entire island (England, Wales, Scotland, and of course its own island Ireland) is gorgeous. The two years I spent there were probably the best I've ever had overseas. I sure wish I could go back again.

Thank you.
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X