Tim TomCross Country Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pssst.... tim... guess what happened while you were gone

i'll give you a clue - my wife went out of town for a weekend and i bought a skunk

welcome back! look forward to hearing all about it

Comment

Bravo, well done young men!
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Glad to hear you made it back safe Tim

Did you get there in time to see your girlfriend?
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I did make it in time, and none of my things had been out the window! Feels strange not to be riding all day though. I'm not quite sure what to do with myself now... I wanna ride some more!!

Comment

Any new leaks on the bike yet?
            Also, it should be about time for yet another valve adjustment in the near future.

Eric

Comment

No new leaks yet. Still loosing a small amount from the cam tensioner, but I'm about to order a new gasket for that. Also gonna pick up a new valve cover for that valve adjustment.

The bike ran like a true champ since we left Reno. I'm still jonesing for more riding though, and since I have this week off still I think I'm gonna do some day trips.

Maybe to Canada and back...

that is a joke
              . I think.

Comment

Don't forget, that if you are careful, you can re-use the half moons.
                Just reinstall them the exact same way after you clean them up.
                The cam chain tensioner is only subjected to oil spray so just cleaning the surface and applying a thin layer of the Ultra-Black and it will work perfectly.
                You can do the same with a new gasket also.

Eric

Comment

Glad to hear you had a safe trip. I see you use a Tele as your avatar. What's your preferred genre? I'm a blues/rock bass player myself. Oops, sorry, back on topic.

Comment

Originally posted by erljhnsn2003 View Post
                    Glad to hear you had a safe trip. I see you use a Tele as your avatar. What's your preferred genre? I'm a blues/rock bass player myself. Oops, sorry, back on topic.
                    Actually he plays a very skinny one!
                    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                      Actually he plays a very skinny one!
                      My tele is my 'real' electric guitar, I play all sorts of stuff, just always liked the look and sound of the Telecasters.

And this is the "Slim-line Travel Ax" as I dubbed it, that is referred to above. Made from a crappy Yahama Strat copy that I got for free. Played it through a 9v battery powered amp the whole trip and it sounded great.

One of the better pictures I have of it in use courtesy of Mr. Steve. Also pictured is Mriddle's son Chris, we had an impromptu jam session during the RRR! I was really glad I brought it with me for the trip, and it will definably be coming along on the next one! (I just got a text from Kyle saying something about Nova Scotia, just can't keep a good adventurer down eh?)

Comment

Ok, I'm seeing it now. Two single coils and a humbucker. Interesting. I may need to look into a Stienberger and a 9v.

Comment

If you didn't change it already you should also change the cam chain tensioner O ring... can cause just as many minor leaks as the gasket itself....

I have some pics very similar to yours in Nor Cal. We did the ones in Lassen like "the Stig" (helmets & gear on, in the snow..)

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Ok, I'm seeing it now. Two single coils and a humbucker. Interesting. I may need to look into a Stienberger and a 9v.
                            I tried out some of those travel guitars before I left, but was not impressed with the sound. They all sounded a bit weenie to me. Much better off in getting a cheap used electric something, move the electrics up a bit, and throw it on a bandsaw. It's smaller, still has volume and tone knobs, and 5 way selector switch, and was cheap enough that if something happens to it you don't really care.

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            I have some pics very similar to yours in Nor Cal. We did the ones in Lassen like "the Stig" (helmets & gear on, in the snow..)
                            I loved riding in Nor Cal. Some really great roads up there too. 89 and 299 were especially memorable. I believe I have a few Stig Style pics along route one somewhere. Lol Just didn't want to take the time to remove the gear, but the view was so good we needed to get a picture of it .

PS those mounting racks of yours worked like a treat for the Mermites! I got many compliments from guys either in the service who recognized the cans and thought it was brilliant, or BMW riders who wanted to know where they could buy them, because their $1200 Jessie Panniers were too small...

Comment

Glad you had such a great safe trip! Rest up, hope to catch you soon.

HSS is nice to have in a travel guitar. My 'teacher's special' only has the EMG - one setting, NASTY. Sounds good when you want overdrive though.
                              "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Glad the rack & Mermites worked out for you!
                                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                                X