GS Sightings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000S replica

At the Street Vibrations event this weekend. A mostly Harley event. Up at Virginia City I spotted this funny looking HD parked on the strip.

A '79 GS1000E with the fairing and paint job to look like a Wes Cooley "S". Owners name is Mark(?) from Manteca. He got a look at our '78's and I told him about the GS Resources. Hope he checks it out, and can join us for some ridin' and wrenchin'.

Comment

GS450l

I just saw a early 80's GS650go by my store in Waxhaw, cool looking bike.
      Of course for the last two weeks my neighbors have been seeing my 87 GS450L.

Comment

Found some old pics

My wife dug up a few old pics of a very young me on my first two GS's.

Geez, was I ever that young?
        The blue scooter is a '78 GS750 I bought new when I was stationed in Japan. Had to sell it when I transfered back to the US. The red bike is an '81 GS750 I also bought new. This one was stolen out of my carport one night. That was a drag. I rode a Yamaha RD400 for a while after that, but it just wasn't the same as my GS. Gave the Yami to my brother, and took a long hiatus from riding. Until last summer, when my mid-life crisis kicked in. Now I'm glad to be back on two wheels, with a stable full of sweet old GS's!\\/

Comment

Is that a Great Lakes Decal on the fork of your red one? I thought I recognized the location of the first one, it was taken in Yokosuka wasn't it?:-D

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
            Is that a Great Lakes Decal on the fork of your red one? I thought I recognized the location of the first one, it was taken in Yokosuka wasn't it?:-D
            Pretty close Dan. I was stationed at NAS Atsugi, Japan. Which you probably know, was where the Midway's airwing operated while the ship was in port. I was there from '76 - '79, and then again from '83 - '86. When were you over there?

And the decal on my red bike was from NAS Moffett Field, CA. I retired here in '95.

Comment

Damn Tom! I had an 81 almost identical to yours, I put a chrome fender from an 'L' model on her, one of the kids totalled it about 4 yrs ago

Comment

hahah - kool ole piccys Tom...

gr8 bikes - just love dat new shine..

cheers

Phark

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
                  Pretty close Dan. I was stationed at NAS Atsugi, Japan. Which you probably know, was where the Midway's airwing operated while the ship was in port. I was there from '76 - '79, and then again from '83 - '86. When were you over there?

And the decal on my red bike was from NAS Moffett Field, CA. I retired here in '95.
                  I was over there numerous times, 7 different ships, about 10 deployments. My last duty station was in Guam aboard the USS Niagara falls, AFS-3, de-commed it, turned it over to MSC in '94, now it's TAFS-3. I also retired in '95 Jan 31, to be exact.

Comment

OK Sailor boys. I thought this was a GS sightings thread. OH WAIT !! I bet were gonna here about the GS taxi trike in Olongapo you saw. I know, I know. What happend in Subic stays in Subic !
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Hey, any thread is fair game to be hijacked!:-D :-D :mrgreen:

Comment

Dan, Nice side step on the Subic comment. Lets see how Tom avoids it.
                        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                          Dan, Nice side step on the Subic comment. Lets see how Tom avoids it.
                          Gracias, senor, no hablo Tagalog no more......:mrgreen: :twisted:

Comment

Mt. Sterling, KY

I saw a GS 650GL in Mt. Sterling tonight. Badges removed and an older custom paint job on the tank. Parked on a purpose built pad on the front yard of a house on Main Street. Reved up my engine and blew the horn but nobody came to the door. Bike looked just a little neglected but overall in good shape, good tires, two different styles of mirrors. Too bad it's not covered.

Comment

Saw a total beater '80 GS850 in Beatrice Nebraska today. Tank half-painted, different colored side panels, plastic milk carton holder on the back, ripped up seat. Guy was wearing old brown Carhart coveralls, workboots, and a pair of sunglasses under a black 3/4 helmet.

I almost stopped to talk to him, but got scared and kept driving.

Comment

78ish blue GS750? Whitten and I40 broke down on the median. I would have stopped to help, but someone beat me to it. Second time I went by bike was gone so I guess he fixed it? Might have just been out of fuel.

Comment

Working...
                                X