No announcement yet.

New Job Takes Me To The West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can remember as a kid we would get stopped going to Las Cruces for testing of missiles coming from the testing range. Sometimes we would sit on Hwy 70 for a couple of hours. Then returning, we would get stopped at the border crossing between Cruces and Alamo. This was back in the mid 70's. Always wondered why they put a border crossing that far into the states.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatDane View Post
      I can remember as a kid we would get stopped going to Las Cruces for testing of missiles coming from the testing range. Sometimes we would sit on Hwy 70 for a couple of hours. Then returning, we would get stopped at the border crossing between Cruces and Alamo. This was back in the mid 70's. Always wondered why they put a border crossing that far into the states.
      Should see the BP check points now. All of them have finally been upgraded to very large areas. They put them in spots just far enough from the border to make the unkowning bad guys think they can sneak in (hardly, I'm pretty sure the BP check points are common knowledge in Mexico and with the cartels etc) yeah big secret lol. Though no fear the ACLU is on the case watching them watching us lol. It is fairly quiet along the border areas during the day, at nite, things go nuts.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

My valve cover gasket arrived today; looks like the right size but I'll have to check it. My bike is at a friend's house and I'm sure he's happy my bike will be out of his garage soon.

Got me some new mirrors too...the ones I have are seriously decaying. Pics to follow.

Ed

NOTE: I also got my Los Angeles Kings tickets for Saturday 30 Nov against the Calgary Flames. GO KINGS GO!!!!
        Last edited by GSXR7ED; 11-15-2013, 11:33 PM.
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Took a ride out to Holloman...it's a nice 37F today and I loved it!

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

You are in one of the warmest places around today. Enjoy the ride.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Appreciate it

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              You are in one of the warmest places around today. Enjoy the ride.
              Thanks tkent. I'm layered and also drinking hot tea...gotta keep the inner core warm!

Ed
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Alamogordo

Went for another ride today...weather is about 50F. Engine needed some cleaning so I hit the wash rack and pressure sprayed her after using engine cleaner; she started right up!

This spot is near my apartment complex and is a beautiful sight to see on a clear day.

Ed

EDIT: Reviewed 8Feb14
                Last edited by GSXR7ED; 02-08-2014, 09:28 PM.
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Patience

I'll be posting pics of my rides once I get my bike in running order!

Ed
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Dang Ed, someone took your side cover.

Comment

Covers

Originally posted by wedoo2 View Post
                      Dang Ed, someone took your side cover.
                      I shipped them off to a member here...for free. I didn't want to paint them and I kept hitting them whenever I was moving the bike in my garage. I ended up cracking the left side.

Thinking about getting some steel plates made just to cover up both sides. I'm having the oil pan drain plug modified with a steel insert...MrBill suggested it and I think it's a good idea.

Very excited about the transformation going on with my bike at the moment.

Ed
                      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 04-05-2014, 08:14 PM.
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Haven't posted any pics of the assignment I am on at Holloman. After all, this thread is suppose to be about my job...and riding while here.

I had some minor things to do at my workcenter. Lots of XB3 items that needed to be added to our program's Bench Stock--made it a point to have a nice backdrop. Did you notice I swapped the seat out?

Ed
                        Last edited by GSXR7ED; 04-05-2014, 08:15 PM.
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Cold Morning

It is the coldest morning in the past 3 weeks of riding: 39F

I'll bundle up pretty good; glad I brought her in my apartment last night--she does not like cold starts when she is left outside all night. (I've spoiled her)

Ed
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Didn't even try to Accelerate that Fast...

I looked down at my Tach on this morning's cold ride (because MrBill fixed it during the pipes/Shocks install) and see that I hit 8K+/5th gear on the 6 mile straight-away to work.

Man, do I need to get that fork brace from:

Still trying to determine which set up I want for the 530 conversion.

Ed
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                              I looked down at my Tach on this morning's cold ride (because MrBill fixed it during the pipes/Shocks install) and see that I hit 8K+/5th gear on the 6 mile straight-away to work.

Man, do I need to get that fork brace from:

Still trying to determine which set up I want for the 530 conversion.

Ed
                              Need to get that speedo fixed now. Cops love to give tickets on that part of 70 out to the airbase.
                              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Speed

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                                Need to get that speedo fixed now. Cops love to give tickets on that part of 70 out to the airbase.
                                Yep, you're right Bill...they are out there. Those cagers on that road are going 65+. I'm not flying past them...just gradually passing them.

They can hear my pipe though...and I checked my oil pan/side stand and the leak is gone!

Ed
                                Last edited by GSXR7ED; 04-16-2014, 12:01 AM.
                                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X