Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me about the cager who thought he could take you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well.....a bunch of interesting stories you all have...

no ones tried anything on the '80 850L I've got, although I don't think it could blast away nearly as fast as the 1100's...shucks..

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Corrie
      If it was set up for the strip with a good rider (NOT ME) it might maybey get into the nines, more likely low tens. (1260 street kit,Falicon super crank,ported head,33mm smoothbores,ect) Can anyone confirm that?
      My bike with Skip on it did 10.3 on the quarter I believe, without using the nitrous, it just breaks into the 9s with the nitrous. You can click the link in my signature to see the mods done to it. I would guess you'd be mid 10's. Hope that helps.

Comment

Poot, my GS850G is the perfect back road stealth weapon. Your "L" model looks even more innocent.

I have to admit I've never really done any stoplight dragging. No one's ever really offered, either -- maybe the 850 is too quiet. In any case, dragging's not my bag.

But I have been known to pass a lot of wobbly Hardleys and sportbike squids. I never stuff 'em in the corners or anything, but I don't like to let clueless wobblers interrupt my enjoyment of what few curves I can find around here.

If I get stuck behind a wobbler, they usually have no idea I'm back there until I pass on the next straightaway. 850s are quiet!

If they really try to push it in a straight line, or if they're doing really stupid dangerous things in the curves to try and stay ahead of me, I back off pretty quickly. Wouldn't want to get sticky wobbler guts all over my nice gloves, you know.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I put on the gloves at noon to go for a joyride. It was just going to be a neighborhood thing, just to keep the gas fresh, just to run the engine, just to make sure everything was working right on my 750. I still slipped on the helmet and leathers - just in case.

I wound the bike around the curvy roads near my house as I waited for it to warm up, occasionally giving it the juice and cracking a smile.

It was time to test it: I got it out onto the main road in the neighborhood and gave it full throttle as my pulse accelerated to the roar of the Kerker pipe and K+N inhaler. Nobody was out to dance with, but the ride was young.

Rounding the last curve of the neighborhood before the light to get out onto the long straight main drag, I saw it: a competition yellow C5 Vette pulling out. It waited for me, then pulled in behind - hard. I watched in my sideviews; whichever way he went, I was going to go. He got in the left lane, I pulled ahead.

The light turned green as I casually curved onto the straight, him right up behind me, pushing me forward. I stood the bike upright, looked in my mirror one last time, and BAM full gas, three gears! DAMN this thing is fast! It was hard to focus as my eyes flashed between forward and back, forward and back as I watched the vette disappear and watched the tunnel form ahead as my rocket catapulted itself toward the ton. By the top of 2nd my speedo was past 85mph. Third was a formality. He didn't have a chance.

I looked back, and the yellow was a speck. This is why I have this bike.

Comment

Well, I just play with a cager now and then for fun. Unless they have a 600+ hp turbo civic, I dont take'em seriously.

Earl :-)
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

First post here.

Back in a previous life, I owned a different '82 GS1100EZ than the one now. (Long story*) I don't recall the first time being challenged on it.

I do recall while on an earlier bike, an '85 H*nda Shadow 500, a Porsche 911 thought he was going to show off to his girlfriend. That little cruiser embarassed him.

Folks just don't comprehend the power to weight ratio a bike has.

*After a long time without a bike I decide to get another one. I come across a "deal" on eBay. I'll be posting my ongoing saga soon. Ready the violins.

Comment

:-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= how's this? :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

Comment

Perfect.

The first installment is up.

Comment

we have a turn pike not far from my house were dragracers and muscle cars from all over the state come to meet and then set up races. There was a guy with a 426 hemi cuda that showed up with slicks. he ran a 440 gtx and kicked his butt real bad. then this kid shows up on a gsxr 750 and and they set up to run, the bike wheelies and the cuda dust him bad. We all get back to the burger king and the cuda guy starts checking out my 1150. he asks "hows it go" And i said "good". One of the guys i work with was there as he is from that town, and he comes over to me and whispers" At the track with those slicks I saw him run 4 passes in the 10.50 range" " I heard he has gone 10.25" Now at this time ,my all time best without the nitrous on my bike was 10.50 and with the nitrous only a little better 10.46. I had a lot of trouble hooking up and wheeleing with the juice, wich I got much better at later.
                    He ask me if I want to go at it and my mind is going a million miles an hour. I figure on the street I can probbly run a 10.60, maybe hit the juise late in third or fouth and squeeze out a 10.50 or so. then he says 500 dollars and i get relly chicken. My buddy says him and his friends will chip in and I say"I got $ 250and thats it ' he agrees and we all go off to the place every one runs. I let some air out of the back tire , open up the bottle, turn on the electric shifter, and do a real long smokey burnout to heat the tire. Next was a couple of dry hops till the tire really grabe I backed up into my burnout tracks and revved the bike up to about 8 grand, The starter lets us go and I start getting out of clutch and dialing up the gas the rest of the way till its wide open. no tire spin no wheelie, and im still at least four cars behind! those slicks hooked up a lot better than i had anticipated! I went through first, second and into third and had only made up a little. I sprayed the nos in third and fourth and started re ling him in. when I got the Gs into fith the finshline was coming and iwas alongside the cuda now! we croosed the line and I thought I lost it was too close, plus i was tucked in behind the gauges and going over 140mph so I was fixated ahead and just trying to go strait.

Comment

We have a turnpike not far from my house were dragracers and muscle cars from all over the state come to meet and then set up races. There was a guy with a 426 hemi cuda that showed up with slicks. He ran a 440 gtx and kicked his butt real bad. A kid shows up on a gsxr 750 and and they set up to run, the bike wheelies and the cuda dust him bad. We all get back to the burger king and the cuda guy starts checking out my 1150. he asks "hows it go" And i said "good". One of the guys i work with was there as he is from that town, and knows the cuda. he comes over to me and whispers "At the track, with those slicks I saw him run 4 passes in the 10.50 range" " I heard he has gone 10.25" Now at this time, my all time best without the nitrous on my bike was 10.50 and with the nitrous only a little better 10.46. I had a lot of trouble hooking up and wheelieing with the juice, wich I got much better at later.
                      the guy with the cuda ask me if I want to go for it and my mind is going a million miles an hour. I figure on the street I can probbly run a 10.60, maybe hit the juice late in third or fouth and squeeze out a 10.50 or so. then he says 500 dollars and i get really chicken. My buddy says him and his friends will chip in and I say"I got 250 and thats it ' he agrees and we all go off to the place every one runs. I let some air out of the back tire , open up the bottle, turn on the electric shifter, and do a real long smokey burnout to heat the tire. Next was a couple of dry hops till the tire really grabed I backed up into my burnout tracks and revved the bike up to about 8 grand, The starter lets us go and I start getting out of clutch and dialing up the gas the rest of the way till its wide open. no tire spin no wheelie, a great launch and im still at least four cars behind! those slicks hooked up a lot better than i had anticipated! I went through first, second and into third and had only made up a little. I sprayed the NOS in third and fourth and started reeling him in. when I got the Gs into fith the finshline was coming and i was alongside the cuda now! we crossed the line and I thought I lost it was too close, plus i was tucked in behind the gauges and going over 140mph so I was fixated ahead and just trying to go strait.
                      Whe we got back to burger king, half the people said I won, the other half thought i passed him after the finish line. He was cool about it and we agreed no money would exchange hands. Right away people started talking rematch but for some reason he wasn't up for the idea, and you know what I wasnt too dissapointed it never happened.

Comment

Great story Skip

You should look that guy up for a rematch when you Turbo the zrx :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by wrench
                          Great story Skip

You should look that guy up for a rematch when you Turbo the zrx :twisted:
                          That cuda now runs high 9"s and has nitrous now. It is still is up the turnpike on fri and sat nights. they still drag race there but not as much as the did 10 years ago. I would love to say that after I turbo the zrx I could take him on and win , but in reality the turbo zrx will be even harder to dragrace than the GS was with nitrous. It will have more power than the GS , weigh less and have a shorter wheelbase. so I think a rematch may be tough.

Comment

Just get a wheelie bar and school him. Good to hear stories about my bikes younger days.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
                              Just get a wheelie bar and school him. Good to hear stories about my bikes younger days.
                              did I tell you the one about the switched body parts and the fake broken wrist?

Comment

I think I missed that one, do tell.

Comment

Working...
                                X