Riding with HOG riders...not the clash of clans type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riding with HOG riders...not the clash of clans type

So I met this chick that rides a Harley. She invites me for a Sunday morning ride to the coast for breakfast. I meet her and there are 5 other HD riders there, they crack wise at first "man thats a quiet bike", "ride in the back so you don't slow us up", "keep up if you can". So I play it off, I mean, I only ride a GS850 ya know and they are on 103's 107's and 1 110. I guess they had ridden together a lot and I caught on to the "hit it" signal that was being given. Me being me I just played the keep-the-pace game. At breakfast they again cracked wise with, "we could see ya back there hope we weren't going to fast for you" crap. Again, I let it fester some more and said nothing. So, we are on a long straight away, signal goes up, HD pipes scream...so as I pass the first 5 in second gear, I look over at the 110 shift and leave him wanting. We had planned on stopping at a specific gas station on the way back, by the time they got there, I had pumped my gas and pulled into a parking spot and was taking my helmet off. We got drinks sat on the bench and the stunned silence was deafening. Needless to say, when we all met up that night at the bar, a whole new tune was being sung about me and my 850. The next week they told me to pick spot to ride in, I said rear, they said why, I said "i carry tools... its easier for me to pull off when you break down." I think I found a new riding group.

Nice story.

From a cursory glance at some misc specs floating around on the web, your 850 should have a few horses less than the HD's - Matches my experience though; to be fast, the bike is secondary. Rider is where it counts.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Haha, great story. When will they learne you don't mess with the mighty 850!

I was riding with this group of guys. The one guy had a souped up Harley. The first time he caught me off guard, he pulled out and passed everyone. The next time I heard him coming. I dropped it down into 4th gear, as soon as he passed me I pulled it out into the passing lane and the race was on! I wound out 4th gear and hit 5th, me and my 1100 were gone! Now when I run into the fellow, he's always real nice to me.☺
      Last edited by storm 64; 08-24-2017, 08:15 AM.
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

That's hilarious Chris. At least there are now a few Hogs that will know better than to mess with the mighty Zook. Bet the word spreads quickly.
        GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Some of those big motor Harleys are damned fast. When I had my VMax, I raced a guy on a bagger, and until 100 or so, that thing kept up, no joke.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            Some of those big motor Harleys are damned fast. When I had my VMax, I raced a guy on a bagger, and until 100 or so, that thing kept up, no joke.
            No doubt, but look at the cc's they have to have to make it. Sorry cubic inches.
            GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I was invited by a H-D riding friend to join him and his friends for a ride - mostly, but not exclusively H-Ds There was mutual respect all around but excepting my friend who at one time rode a KZ 1000, all were surprised by the old Suzuki.

The highlight of my friends day was when I caught a guy in our group on a CBR 1000RR who thougt he was a bad arse by surprise and left him far behind pulling out of a tool booth. No way I'd keep up in a real race, but still, my friend said I may as well have peed in his Corn Flakes. He was pleased....
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

The 1150 is still a fast bike by most any standards.
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

NICE! I ride with a couple HD's bar hopping . I usually ride my rd400 or h1500 both with chambers and bean oil mix . They know they can beat me after the mile... but the best is at the parking lot when my bikes gets the most conversation over their big $$$ hogs. Haven't rode the gs yet. Going to Herb's Limestone this weekend . Will see what reception the GS1100 gets with the HD crowd there. http://gotonight.com/venues/venue/?id=4501

Comment

The only HD rider that takes up my offer to go riding any more is Jedz123. And his isn't the typical HD. I guess the others don't want to be seen with my assorted non HD bikes that outperform theirs at a tenth of the cost. So I stopped asking them.

Comment

850s rule, yeah.

Not too long a ago friend of mine and I rode with some Harley guys. My friend rode his Speed Triple and I rode the K1300GT. They slowed way down for the turns and speed up on the straights. We agreed that was the opposite of how we usually ride. These guys also stop for gas every 90-100 miles. We were just laughing at ourselves when we tried to join in on the mandatory engine revving after the gas stop. At least the Speed Triple made some noise.

It was nice experience with some good guys.

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                        Nice story.

From a cursory glance at some misc specs floating around on the web, your 850 should have a few horses less than the HD's - Matches my experience though; to be fast, the bike is secondary. Rider is where it counts.
                        You are correct, stock HP I am about 15-20HP less. Those rating also don't account for the weight on the bike, I was probably 300-500 lbs less than any of them total rider/bike weight. That negates any HP advantage they may have had. The 110 had it wrapped and I still passed him without full throttle and made it look easy. He also said he was already in 4th as I was shifting in 3rd, the red line is low on the HD's. In running the stop lights with HD's, the new ones get me in 1st and 2nd but 3rd is a blow by from me, power band shifting the whole way to 5th. They are geared like Jeeps, great low end, but nothing after 2nd.

Comment

As a Harley and a GS owner....you are comparing apples and oranges here. My GS is quicker, my Harley is more comfortable. The GS is a sport bike, and the Harley is a touring bike, for a reason! I like riding my GS anywhere less than 60-70 miles but if I'm gonna do 347 miles like last Saturday, I want to be on the Harley. No way could this old body handle that many miles on the GS. Love 'em both, just for different reasons.
                          Ron
                          When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                          1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                          1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                          1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                          1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Well I think the OP was comparing a GS850G to the Harley. I wouldn't call the 850G a sport bike but it does handle well,
                            is quicker than it looks and will easily handle 300 miles days in comfort...very quiet and smooth with a 150-200 mile tank range. I'm not saying that you can't enjoy a stock Harley if that's what you choose, but ride a stock properly tuned old GS850G with some bags and you'll have no problems eating up as many miles as the overrated and overpriced HD. It's really an image thing that somehow HD is the final step in bikes. I don't ask Harley riders to go riding to show them up but rather to enjoy some riding together. The issue is a lot of those folks seem to project a Harley or nothing persona. You'll find that with some of the BMW crowd too.

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
                              As a Harley and a GS owner....you are comparing apples and oranges here. My GS is quicker, my Harley is more comfortable. The GS is a sport bike, and the Harley is a touring bike, for a reason! I like riding my GS anywhere less than 60-70 miles but if I'm gonna do 347 miles like last Saturday, I want to be on the Harley. No way could this old body handle that many miles on the GS. Love 'em both, just for different reasons.
                              Finished a 3200 mile trip on my 850 last month....I don't think there is a bike around that is comfortable after 8 hours a day of riding. Wasn't comparing the two, just telling a nice little story about my day of riding and the new group I ride with, I was underestimated as well as my bike, only because I don't have loud pipes and my tank doesn't have an HD emblem on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X