No announcement yet.

Riding with HOG riders...not the clash of clans type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking about this while riding yesterday, and assume it's a part of the pack menality, but why would one need to give a high sign to hit it? On a loud bike, its painfully obvoius when one whacks the throttle open. Could be hairy if everyone goes wide open together, especially if someone in the back has a quicker bike...
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
      Have you ridden a Road King, or a newer Gold Wing?
      yes on both, don't care for the Road King, the Gold Wing was like riding on silk.

Comment

Road Kings are wonderful on the open road.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

went for a ride with a couple rocket punks and one harley back when i had my 850. for some reason the harley dude thought i'd be the slowest bike..... he seemed quite surprised to find out he was wrong.
          2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
          82 gs1100L probably the next project
          1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
          1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
            I was thinking about this while riding yesterday, and assume it's a part of the pack menality, but why would one need to give a high sign to hit it? On a loud bike, its painfully obvoius when one whacks the throttle open. Could be hairy if everyone goes wide open together, especially if someone in the back has a quicker bike...
            you have a valid point...only thing I can think of is it gets rid of the "oh crap we are throttling up" moment. Meh, we all got along great that night, listened to some good music and swilled back a few. When we go back out this weekend, I will have my pods, jet kit and exhaust complete, exhaust done already, working on the pods and jet kit tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be 4 hours of swapping and I will hit it right the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Falcon View Post
              When we go back out this weekend, I will have my pods, jet kit and exhaust complete, exhaust done already, working on the pods and jet kit tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be 4 hours of swapping and I will hit it right the first time.
              I just love the naievely optimistic attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
                With pods, yeah-LOL.
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

I have a GL1800. Its no pooch... With new tires,not square it corners great for a 800+ bike. While I was in the mountains, I saw 50+ mpg.Quite a few times. In regards to wheelies, when I worked in the bike dealership the dirt bike guys could wheelie anything except for really long, slow cruisers.
                  Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                  Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                  Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
                    3 hours of install and 3-4 hours of swapping. Final set up: DJ160 jets, needles on slot #4, 4 1/2 turns on mix, sync/balance/tune done. Good colors on plugs, no backfires, boggs, floods or flat spots. My final check coming at work, gonna set her up in the auto shop, take thermal images of exhaust and set up the wideband. I have a good feeling I'm almost spot on, minor tweaks from here. Powerband pretty much 4K-redline. Definite difference, waiting to see the change in mpg, I'm expecting a significant drop in gas mileage. As far as performance, no one could keep up in the group, was nice. Smooth rise from dead stop to 9k through all gears. Lots of trial and error. Takes patience and thought for those that are going to try it. I went through all 3 jets at position #3, dropped a slot and the 160 was the winner out of the 3, found the sweet spot. #3 cylinder was a little lean, 4 3/4 turns evened it out.

Before doing the mod, I checked valve clearance, made sure all orings were good, lines were good. Bench syncd carbs, made sure pods made a good seal. Hooked it all up, did a sync with each change in jets and needle position. Didn't really need it after initial sync..but did it anyway. Made 1/2 and 1/4 pod covers out of small solo cups that I cut to see if too much air --do this helps immensely-- once I had it all set final sync and new plugs. She is lean and mean. Thermal and a/f check will tell me more tomorrow. I don't expect much more tweaking I will need. Only thing left i could do is a Dyna 2000 set up.

Comment

Working...
                    X