Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm riding home. It's raining. My boss is PANICKING!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hahaha......the day I went to go pick up my bike in edmonton , from jasper (a 4+ hour ride) , I rode on the back of an '89 katana in the rain for the whole way there, picked up my bike in clear skies (perfect timing!), and then only 3 more hours of rain on the way back.

you people in edmonton remember when you were getting flooded, hail, tornadoes? thats when! nice rain.....didnt need to take a shower!

Comment

My boss was still upset this morning! What a worrywart. My wife is the biggest worrywart I've ever seen, and it never even occurred to her to fret about my safety last night.

I just think it's amazing how some people can't comprehend the concept of risk management. Yes, riding at night in the rain presents a greater potential risk than riding without rain. So does leaving the house at all.

Without proper gear, experience, or training, the risks would have been unacceptable to me and I would have stayed the night in Indy. For example, I didn't have rain pants with me last night (I needed the room in my bag for Diet Pepsi, nature's most perfect beverage...) and I made a decision, based on experience and temperature, that I would be a little chilly but OK with jeans and fleece long undies. All my other gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, boots) was waterproof (and proven so on many other wet rides), so I knew I would be OK.

I also don't have any night vision problems, and I've learned to treat my faceshield so that water rolls off at speed. I considered all these and many other factors and made my decision that riding home was well within my capabilities and tolerance for risk. Not even a five out of ten, really.

What really bothers me is people who assume that I'm just being macho -- that I haven't thought carefully about these things, or that I'm not willing to abort a ride when the risks are too great.

If I were to run down to the airport and try to fly a 707, it would be a disaster. I'm not a trained pilot. But with the proper training, experience, and equipment, an airline pilot can fly a 707 with nearly perfect safety in all kinds of weather. She will also know when to abort the flight, and will do so without shame when needed.

My wife is a good rider, but she does not have the skills and experience to ride long distances at night in the rain. But she does understand that I can.

My boss is a terrible rider who mostly realizes his limitations, if not his ignorance. He thinks the reason that I can ride faster and in worse conditions is simply that I'm more brave and more stupid than he is. He hasn't gotten the idea that riding is a skill that can be learned and improved constantly.

To him, motorcycles are mysterious, frightening creatures, liable to smite you unpredictably. The thrill comes from the extreme danger, the idea that the fates could wipe you from existence at any second for no reason at all. You have to extraordinarily brave and macho to be a rider. Unfortunately, this notion is pretty widespread.

I have a more scientific view, obviously. Even carburetors can be understood if you work at it. And in the end, I think I get a lot more enjoyment out of motorcycling than my boss ever will.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Well said! That's about the most clearly stated answer to "how can you ride that murderous beast?" I've ever seen.

Dave

Comment

In south Florida, if you dont ride in rain, there are going to be about 250 days a year you wont be riding. LOL I only stop riding in the rain when the water runoff is over the axles. :-) Fog is much more difficult to ride in. I dont ride in Fog for a lot of reasons.

Earl
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
            I dont ride in Fog for a lot of reasons.

Earl
            Yeah fog combined with wet roads can be a nuisance :?

I remember lot of rides home of a night in those conditions in UK pea soup fog,

mind you i had Lucas 6volt lighting to guide me home

ah the prince of darkness always got me home...

...white knuckled of course

Comment

So far, I've avoided riding in the rain... Figured I'd know when I was ready. After a good season of being back in the saddle, I think I'm ready to brave the elements. If I don't, I'm pretty much not riding until next spring.

The only think holding me back is money for a good set of pants, a set of new Metzelers, and a windshield. As it is right now, morning temps are near 40, and only get lower every morning.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench
                I dont ride in Fog for a lot of reasons.

Earl
                Yeah fog combined with wet roads can be a nuisance :?

I remember lot of rides home of a night in those conditions in UK pea soup fog,

mind you i had Lucas 6volt lighting to guide me home

ah the prince of darkness always got me home...

...white knuckled of course
                Even scarier thought is that for some italian cars for a time Lucas electrics was the *upgrade*... 8O 8O

Comment

Originally posted by fast eddie
                  Keith, I seem to recall one of your other posts saying that it just rained at your place for the first time since the spring. I'd say you have some reason to be wary of the rain. It's like anything else; you don't do it for a long time, you get rusty. Even after a few weeks of no rain riding, I'm a little careful, but I enjoy it, because it's a chance re-familiarize.

Like KBG says, once the initial rain has washed the crap off the surface, the degree of traction is not that different from dry pavement (compared to, say, driving on sand, gravel, ice etc).
                  I agree completely. For many years in England a motorcycle was my only transport. If you didn't ride in the rain, you didn't ride (often). I don't recall being particularly worried by rain.

However, I have now lived in dry Colorado for almost 27 years. I will ride in the rain if I have to but I don't like it. I no longer have the "riding calibration" for wet roads. Given sufficient current riding in the rain, I am sure I could regain familiarity but I doubt that I shall have that opportunity with the Colorado climate.

BTW, ice is a definite "no-no" for me now. Patchy ice on roads also used to be a part of the English winter-time riding experience. 8O

BB

Comment

In south Florida, if you dont ride in rain, there are going to be about 250 days a year you wont be riding. LOL I only stop riding in the rain when the water runoff is over the axles.

Earl
                    Amen brada. 8) 8)

Comment

One day while we were out on a ride, my wife spotted a small cumulus cloud several miles away. She worriedly asked me what she needed to do different if she had to ride home in the rain.

I just told her to ride like she always does -- she's a safe, well-trained rider with good reflexes and reactions, but she's incredibly conservative. She never even gets close to using more than 10% of the available traction. She does everything right, but verrrrrry slow most of the time.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

BB; don't come here looking for sympathy because you never get any rain!

Comment

Originally posted by fast eddie
                          BB; don't come here looking for sympathy because you never get any rain!
                          Well, can I have some sympathy for the twisty roads and low traffic densities in the local canyons?

BB

Comment

Only if riding them in fog. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Bolder Biker
                            Well, can I have some sympathy for the twisty roads and low traffic densities in the local canyons?

BB
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The most dangerous place to ride a bike in the fog has to be the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive...or is it any Interstate Highway at rush hours, or...

Fog is dangerous to be sure. Why won't people slow down because of it? Or even worse pull OFF the road instead of just stopping smack dab in the middle of the road. (darn right it happens )

Comment

Only if riding them in fog. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Bolder Biker

BB
                                Sorry, no fog..........do tinted face-shield or sunglasses qualify?

BB

Comment

Working...
                                X