No announcement yet.

Roll-On Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you think a GS is strong in a roll on acceleration test, you should ride a Yamaha XS-11!
    a former friend of mine had a 81 XS11 and in a normal stop light to stop light race, or 1/4 mile and above drag race I could take him every time.
    but that was due to the superior peak power of my gs (1000G) in a roll on in top gear side by side at 60mph (100kph) he could leave me for dead with ease.
    the XS11 has all it's power, and much better torque right in the mid range and it would pull with unbelievable strength at 4K rpm, but would fall flat on its face at 7K rpm.

Comment

Re: Roll-On Performance

Originally posted by fast eddie
      In a rather unscientific fashion, I decided to experiment; cruising along at 120kmh*, I rolled on the gas and started counting. I was up to 8 by the time I hit 160kmh*. Does that sound about right for a GS1150?

Granted, the roll-on was smooth as opposed to a rapid twist, and it was in 5th gear. Anybody else have similar results?

*all figures are hypothetical, ossifer!
      You can vary the results by counting slower... 8O

Comment

Re: Roll-On Performance

LMAO :-)

Earl

Originally posted by jimcor
        You can vary the results by counting slower... 8O
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

1150s' rule!

I must agree with Earl on the 1150s capability in the roll-on. She is most definately a considerable step above the 1000s' and probably less so above the 1100s'.
          The power is so effortless especially in top gear pokin along in traffic at say 55MPH or so....100 MPH is just a few seconds away with no hyper RPMs', downshifting..or....or anything. Its' just there...just a twist away...you don't realize your going that fast...you just recall that you haven't seen the need to run the motor at that specific RPM...say 4-5K. So you look down at the speedo & you then realize you've sailed thru the ton mark & you SLOWLY realize..." I'm covering a lot of ground here.."
          All the 'markers' of high speed are absent in the 1150...High RPM,nasty wind buffeting, slow steering...none of these indicators are present so you REALLY don't realize your excess speed.
          Rick......

Comment

Re: 1150s' rule!

Thats for sure. The only difference between 60 mph and 100 mph is twisting the throttle about 1/4". :-) I find that given an open road, my speed will always gravitate to a rate the bike feels like it was designed for and is content at. My 1150's "happy" speed is around 90 mph. Its like sitting still with the engine not running. :-) No effort at all, everything is in tune and its absolutely vibration free. Gas milage sinks to about 35-36 mpg though. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Richard Ellis
            All the 'markers' of high speed are absent in the 1150...High RPM,nasty wind buffeting, slow steering...none of these indicators are present so you REALLY don't realize your excess speed.
            Rick......

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
              Thats for sure. The only difference between 60 mph and 100 mph is twisting the throttle about 1/4". :-) I find that given an open road, my speed will always gravitate to a rate the bike feels like it was designed for and is content at. My 1150's "happy" speed is around 90 mph. Its like sitting still with the engine not running. :-) No effort at all, everything is in tune and its absolutely vibration free. Gas milage sinks to about 35-36 mpg though. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Richard Ellis
              Rick......
              Gas milage, who cares about that when you are having fun... Well actually I am still a wimp, I have not gotten the bike past 65mph. Maybe this coming summer I will get more guts. I just won the bike from my husband this year (on a silly bet) and really did not get much of a chance to get completely comfortable with high speeds... :roll:
              Andie Ellis - wife of Rick

Comment

Just continue to ride at a speed you are comfortable with and having fun.
                As you get acclimated to the bike, comfort ranges are going to change anyway. :-)
                Besides, those law enforcement curmudgeons dont seem to have any appreciation of cruise missile mode. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by andiee123
                Gas milage, who cares about that when you are having fun... Well actually I am still a wimp, I have not gotten the bike past 65mph. Maybe this coming summer I will get more guts. I just won the bike from my husband this year (on a silly bet) and really did not get much of a chance to get completely comfortable with high speeds... :roll:
                Andie Ellis - wife of Rick

Comment

A few times I've found myself wondering if I could explain the "happy speed" theory to the cops after I get pulled over for 70 in a 45. It's a shame these things are so fast eh?

Comment

I have my days when I just feel like cruising at warp speed. It works the kinks out and relaxes me. I never exceed the speed limit more than slightly in town or in congested areas. Too many unpredictable risks. If you're going to be ballistic, its essential to know the road well, know conditions along the route for that day and hour, traffic density and what time law enforcement will be gone for chow. :-) I usually make the run in one direction at low speed checking road surfaces, traffic, farm fences and gates and anything else that might seem out of the ordinary. If all seem ok, I turn around and make a run. I dont plan on being in the position of having to explain anything to a deputy. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by isaac
                    A few times I've found myself wondering if I could explain the "happy speed" theory to the cops after I get pulled over for 70 in a 45. It's a shame these things are so fast eh?

Comment

I love the engine characteristics of these GS engines, I gotta agree with Earl, the 1150 is very deceptive in how it builds speed, if a close eye is not kept on the speedo an 1150 has a very strong tendency to find it's own pace, mine also seems to like around 90 mph.
                      I love the way that the "old" 1150 will walk on just about anything in a roll-on confrontation, fortunately I am extremely spoilt by having an 1170 cc Kat with exactly the same characteristics, it just so happens to be more of the same everywhere.
                      In a direct back to back ride impression, my Katana will out pull my 1150 by about 20 mph, in a single vehicle overtaking manuevere for instance, of cause there is also the trying to get the front wheel back down on the ground to contend with as well.
                      Dink

Comment

Uh oh, time to do a tad more tuning on the 1150. :-) :-)

Earl

[quote="Dink"]
                        I am extremely spoilt by having an 1170 cc Kat with exactly the same characteristics, it just so happens to be more of the same everywhere.
                        In a direct back to back ride impression, my Katana will out pull my 1150 by about 20 mph.

Comment

Earl
                          I thought so too :twisted:
                          can you say 1229??
                          Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink

Earl
                            I thought so too :twisted:
                            can you say 1229??
                            Dink
                            Yes I can. Of course the way mine is setup roll on isn't as impressive as a lot of 1150's (I'm guessing I've never sat on another 1150), of course if the engine crosses 7k you better be hanging on good. When I first got my bike I took it out for some WOT acceleration tests, I found I had to be real careful if I planned to use the clutch to shift, releasing my hand to grab the lever was extrodinarily difficult. Lesson learned? Don't use the clutch. I love my bike.

Comment

Thats funny because I have the same problem. Hard on the throttle, I have to be prepared to shift by bracing myself forward enough to be able to open my hand to use the clutch lever. Cant cover the clutch because acceleration pulls the clutch lever flat against the grip if you try that. :-) :-) I use the clutch, but it IS a very quick bump. LOL Has to be before I get peeled off the bike backwards. :-) :-) It accelerates hard enough that I never exceed about half throttle when taking someone for a ride as I am not altogether sure they would be able to hold on at full throttle. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by lhanscom
                              When I first got my bike I took it out for some WOT acceleration tests, I found I had to be real careful if I planned to use the clutch to shift, releasing my hand to grab the lever was extrodinarily difficult. Lesson learned? Don't use the clutch. I love my bike.

Comment

SLINGSHOT

Hello everyone. I am relatively new to bike world. many years ago I tried to ride when I was seveteen, it ended up with disaster, and I gave up; until last year at fifty two I got in riding again because of my daughter, and I am having a blast, I rode all last winter(everyday when the roads were dry) and I injoy ridind the bike any day. I am following this thread, I dont undrestand what does slingshot means if someone can explain to me may be I can try also.

ard :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                                X