RIP PntrDave (Dave Davis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
    A few more photos of Dave I found. He was such a genuine, warm guy.

Tim, Dave, and Steve at Fennimore 2007

Dave's bikes were always, uh, unique. He once caught me looking closely at the brush marks in the paint on his bike, and explained "I'm a house painter" as contentment radiated from his mustache.

Dave was pretty good with a map, too.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I met Dave at several BC Rallies, and I remember two things the most about him: His ready smile and laugh, and the fact that I would look at his bike and ask myself "He rode that here, thru the rally, and back home?"
      He seemed a very affable fellow, quick with a smile, and genuinely enjoying every moment.
      Ride on, in those great twisties in the sky, Dave. We miss you.

Comment

Thanks for sharing these pics, Brian - I don't think I ever saw the one below and it's such a great picture of the three of us (Tim, Dave, and I). I highlighted your quote below in Blue because I think it sums up Dave perfectly...

I'm think I'm going to print out this entire thread so that I can leave it and the pictures with Andy, Amber, and the rest of Dave's family...

Regards,
        Steve

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        A few more photos of Dave I found. He was such a genuine, warm guy.

Tim, Dave, and Steve at Fennimore 2007

Comment

It seems another of us has been taken too soon. My prayers and best wishes go out to family and friends of Dave. Celebrate his life and remember him in love.

All the best,

Cliff

Comment

I am SO mourning the loss of pntrdave. At my first GS rally in 08 I arrived knowing not a soul, but that didn't last long because I met Dave shortly after that. He invited me to join his sight seeing group and we had a blast the rest of the weekend. Sure, we were late to lunch, and dinner, and got turned around a time or two, but we had fun and the whole group got to know each pretty well. Since then I've always looked forward to seeing him at these rallies, and when I found he would be missing one it made me sad because I so enjoyed spending time with him. I felt like we were great friends after having known him only a little while.

Here are a few shots I have of Dave.

In this one our group pulled over and Dave started working on his bike a little. I think he did this a lot I believe this is bike that got totaled in FL.

Here are a couple of shots of the bike Dave rode to the 2009 Brown County Rally. The whole group of us spent quite a bit of time looking over all the creative engineering that held the bike together.

Who else among us would be so brave as ride this bike around the block, much less across three states to a rally, but he made it there and back.

It dawns on me that Ill never again get to have breakfast with Dave at the Story Inn. It breaks my heart. I will miss him so much. God bless and God speed Dave.
            Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
            Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

God speed Dave. You will be missed... On the bright side, he'll be leading some of the best sight seeing groups yet.

Remind his family that they are not alone in their grief. There are many support groups for the surviving members of his family.

Wish I could attend.
              Matos law: Murphy was a lucky B@stard!
              1979 GS850GN
              sigpic

In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele
              1975-2008

Comment

I am saddened by the loss. I met Dave at the 2006 rally in Missouri at Roaring River State Park. At the time only he and Mike Dole were there. He was friendly and full of life. His posts were just the same. He will be greatly missed here and I'm sure by his family as well. Prayers go out to his family. Thanks for your service friend and Semper Fi. I pray you're ridin' the golden highway now with a big smile on your face.

Comment

Condolences to Dave's family. he will be missed.

Comment

I met Dave briefly at Roaring River in 2005. Down to earth friendly guy who made you feel welcome. Welcome home Dave.

Comment

Just a reminder ... if you are planning to attend Dave's funeral tomorrow please send me a PM so I can try to get a head count and coordinate who is meeting who, where, and at what time...

Also, if you have been following this thread and want to add anything for the family, I'm planning to print out the entire thread and leave it with them as a remembrance. I'll print it out tonight so it's ready for the trip tomorrow.

Thanks and Regards,

Comment

I never personally met Dave. Just from chats here on the forum. You guys are all parts of my motorcycle addiction family and any loss is a FAMILY loss..Rest easy Dave..I hear God doesnt charge for gas in you GS in heaven!! Now those Harley guys gotta pay though!!!
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

How could anyone forget that Green Monster of a bike

Dave, you will be missed...

RIP buddy.
                          Victor Kolb
                          '80 GS1100L -
                          '85 GS550L -
                          '04 Bandit 1200S - gone
                          '02 BMW R1150 RT - gone as well
                          '15 Triumph Bonneville NewChurch
                          '17 Triumph Tiger 80 XRx

Comment

R.I.P. Pntr Dave...your stories, your bikes and your personality were one of a kind and you will be greatly missed at GS Rallies. Tina and I both send our condolences to his family at this time. Our thoughts and prayers are with them...he will be missed
                            Loud pipes saves squirrel lives.....

Comment

I met Dave at my first rally - BCR in 08. He was quick to greet me and introduce himself with that great smile. Was priviledged to ride with a group he led at the 09 BCR. He will truly be missed by all at the GSR. Someone who touched people in a positive way and could instantly help you to feel welcome and included. RIP Dave.
                              Bob
                              Current:
                              2008 BMW R1200RT
                              Past History:1971 Honda CB350; 1972 Bonneville
                              1979 Suzuki GS550E
                              1979 Suzuki GS850G
                              1980 Suzuki GS850G
                              1983 Suzuki GS1100E
                              2006 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
                              2004 BMW R1150 RT
                              2009 Triumph Bonneville SE

Comment

2008, Brown County. With Dave's "sight seeers group".
                                Here we are stopped, to see the river, I quess.
                                Took this picture just to show bikes stopped.
                                And... there is Dave -- big smile, just enjoying the day.

Was some mention of not being able to take a certain road because some road was under water or something. So Dave walks over and talks to some guys passing by in a pickup truck. So we end up following these guys, thru some pretty narrow and not well maintained roads, over a bridge that didnt seem like it should be an actuall road. Always an adventure with PntrDave.

Dave was such a warm - friendly guy. Made me wonder if that was his natural personality, or if there was more to the story.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                                X