To the Quail Motorcycle Gathering 2022!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To the Quail Motorcycle Gathering 2022!

It felt so great to get back to riding in the US of A!
    I really enjoy the planning part of these trips....I booked all motels where we can park in front of our rooms...found and booked breakfast paces within an hour drive each day...booked dinner places too....when you have this many guys coming, you can't leave anything to chance.
    Nine of us left Monday May 9th for California....5800kms....took the K1300R and it ran great...even turned over 100,000kms in the Nevada desert.
    One flat tire on a 1200 Tenre that had to be plugged a few times until we could get it properly patched.
    In 13 days I only put my rain suit on once...the last day just to get over Steven's Pass in Washington and that was only 20 min of rain.
    This cities we stayed in...in order
    Astoria OR, Crescent City CA, Petaluma CA, Monterey for 3 days, Thousand Oaks CA, Kernville CA, Fallon NV, John Day OR for 2 days, Ellensburg WA

The Coho Ferry in Victoria taking us to Port Angeles Wa.

Breakfast after taking the amazing 202 out of Astoria to Cabin 18...what a cool place for Breakfast

We took the coast all the way to Monterey

This was on the morning to Petaluma...kickstands were up by 7am almost everyday.

Mendocino CA
    Late night in Monterey

No signature

Our day off in Monterey included a visit to Laguna and to The Talbott Museum

Our favorite place for dinner in Monterey

From our table

The next morning at our breakfast place we noticed 5 guys our age come in for breakfast and I said "I bet these guys are riding interesting bikes"....went to the parking lot and there was a Vincent, old BMW, a Norton.....and two new GS BMW's
    They had made a three hour ride to attend the Quail....I went back in the the restaurant and said...."hey, those are nice GS's out there"! Lol....they got a good laugh out of that.

No signature

Comment

The Quail!

Paul Murphy's from Alberta amazing bikes

No signature

Comment

More of the Quail

On the way to Thousand Oaks we visited Neptune's and The Rock Store

Oh and by the way...I'm so done with Motel 6...lol

No signature

Comment

And now on to Kernville CA...love this place.....breakfast in Ojai then took the amazing 33, the road used by so many motorcycle magazines to test new bikes

The next day we went through Death Valley...breakfast first

The roads were so empty

I managed to get a pic of my odometer at 100,000kms while moving lol

Here is we paid $8.65us a gallon in the middle of nowhere and were happy to do it...lol....they had great milkshakes too!

In John Day we had a day off and it snowed...lol freak day
          No signature

Comment

Always gotta stay at the Dreamers Lodge in JD

The most beautiful roads around JD...number 19

Dinner in our last night in the US at Ellensburg WA

Our ferry back to the island

Home sweet home

No signature

Comment

Great story and pictures Trevor. It looks like a good time was had by all.
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                Great story and pictures Trevor. It looks like a good time was had by all.
                Thanks Norm, it was a lot of fun and a relief to get to travel states side again.
                No signature

Comment

Another epic outing to some of my favourite places. We'll have to start calling these road trips of yours "The Franklin Expedition". LOL. And yes, lots of memories of Dreamers and the roads in and out of that area in all directions.
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                    Another epic outing to some of my favourite places. We'll have to start calling these road trips of yours "The Franklin Expedition". LOL. And yes, lots of memories of Dreamers and the roads in and out of that area in all directions.
                    Ley me know if you make it to the island this year.....
                    No signature

Comment

Great pictures Trevor
                      sigpic
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Was waiting and looking for your trip report.

Good! thanks.

Seem like a nice trip with someone making the overnight reservations and planning for breakfast and dinner places.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                          Was waiting and looking for your trip report.

Good! thanks.

Seem like a nice trip with someone making the overnight reservations and planning for breakfast and dinner places.

I was just talking to friends the other night about making hotel/restaurant reservations. A lot of times you can get away without making reservations. But that one time when you have to ride a extra 100+ miles to the next hotel vacancy. You learn it is wise to have a plan.
                          My Motorcycles:
                          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                          79 1000e (all original)
                          82 850g (all original)
                          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post

I was just talking to friends the other night about making hotel/restaurant reservations. A lot of times you can get away without making reservations. But that one time when you have to ride a extra 100+ miles to the next hotel vacancy. You learn it is wise to have a plan.
                            One of the "new guys" said in a meeting before going...do we have to have everything planned? Lol...with 8 guys...yes....and I I give everyone the addresses so they are free to meet us there too
                            No signature

Comment

Working...
                            X