No announcement yet.

Maine to Florida and back, end of April, beginning of May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would've said ride, but time restraints would make it less fun. You will be tired of riding by the time you got there, if you can make better time with a trailer then you can save energy and be excited to ride once you get down there.

Comment

ok so here's an update. we have cleared enough time for 3+ days of driving if we need it. it's going to only be 1 bike (which actually makes me more hesitant of riding down, but with 2 cell phones and more than likely a laptop it helps) and yes it will be 2 up if on the bike. Trailering is still up for a possibility if needed though.

Also I was DEFINITELY up on heading over to 81 and then down to Atlanta and as southerly as possible to hit panama city beach. I had one of my co-workers who suggested that because he's hitch hiked across the country a couple times when he was younger and he's got a fairly good idea of where to avoid. Also I95 sucks.

Would 3ish days of 500 or so days seem a little more manageable to everyone than 2 800 mile days. We would be getting up at half past dark to start out so that we can get a ton of riding in while it's still dark. Also no REALLY long days.. only 200-250 mile days this past year and my bike rides good to me. It takes my ass about 10 miles to get into a comfy spot in the seat though. it's odd that it taks me that long, but it does even with my wallet in a jacket pocket! and we're looking for some gel pads to strap on to help even more and i'm building a backrest for her and buying a caseguard with pegs for me.

Still trying to decide... keep with the suggestions

Comment

bump, getting closer to lift off. i'm in the process of rebuilding the front brakes and i'll get the rear once I'm done the front. I also have the front fender, gas tank, side panels and the rear cover off and they're being prepped for paint right now too. The original engine is still being rebuilt and i'm not totally sure if that will be back together and tested before the trip or not. Too many projects going on all at once. Hopefully they'll all be done before the end of the month so I have all of next month to test and break it in.

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
          ok so here's an update. we have cleared enough time for 3+ days of driving if we need it. it's going to only be 1 bike (which actually makes me more hesitant of riding down, but with 2 cell phones and more than likely a laptop it helps) and yes it will be 2 up if on the bike. Trailering is still up for a possibility if needed though.

Would 3ish days of 500 or so days seem a little more manageable to everyone than 2 800 mile days. We would be getting up at half past dark to start out so that we can get a ton of riding in while it's still dark. Also no REALLY long days.. only 200-250 mile days this past year and my bike rides good to me. It takes my ass about 10 miles to get into a comfy spot in the seat though. it's odd that it taks me that long, but it does even with my wallet in a jacket pocket! and we're looking for some gel pads to strap on to help even more and i'm building a backrest for her and buying a caseguard with pegs for me.

Still trying to decide... keep with the suggestions

I've ridden my share of long hour days and riding two up, i think a realistic goal is about 500 miles in a day. You both will be more than ready to get off that infernal contraption and relax at that point. Solo, I would go farther per day, but two up is not going to leave you enough room to stretch and shift around much while riding. Find a pace for the trip that is comfortable to maintain. It does no good to run 85 mph, if in 45 minutes, your arms are aching and you have to force yourself to maintain it. You want a pace that reduces your effort and fatigue to minimum, a speed you can maintain indefinitely. Early in the morning, temps that seem shirtsleeve confortable will get colder after being on the road for about 30 minutes. Dress a little warmer than you think you need to. Half an hour later, you'll thank yourself. I usually stop for gas about every 100 miles. The bike will go a lot farther than that on a tank, but thats a good spacing for a stretch and walk around. Besides, that always leaves you a big reserve in case there is no gas station at the 100 mile point. I hate running on fumes while searching for a gas station on desolate roads in the dark that go nowhere.

Earl
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

You mention 200-250 mile days last year. Was that 2 up? While you may be able to handle 3 500mi days, what about your passenger?

Sounds to me like you really want to ride down. I say go for it. 500 mile days is mucho better than 800 mile days.
            Trips like this are what memories are made of. It would be even better if you could work in some back road riding, in lieu of all Super Slab.

Comment

Well if you have three days that means an average of 533 miles per day. But it looks from the map like the last leg of your trip will not be Interstate so I would urge 600-650 per day the first two. The difference in making time Interstate vs. surface roads is huge. And on that third day you do not want to be out after dark on unfamiliar surface roads in a fatigued condition.

Keep rolling as long as you can on 81 and 77. That is the most pleasant stretch.
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
              80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Given your situation I would suggest the following. Call the Greyhound Bus Company and find out the cost of a ticket from Maine to your destination in Florida. Then put that amount aside in a secret place or at least make sure you will have well over that amount on your credit card limit.

If you get well into the trip and your girlfriend says she just can't go on with it, head to the closest Greyhound station and let her ride the rest of the way. For most of your ride you will be at some distance from a commercial airport, but you are never very far from a Greyhound route/terminal.

When I take my trips I always make sure I have enough to buy me a ticket home if there is a problem with the bike. And I carry a large duffel bag to bring all my gear back with me.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Also, before you leave call your credit card company and tell them you are going to be taking a trip; give them where you are going and your dates. Otherwise a algorithm they have to detect purchases outside your normal area and pattern could shut the card off.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Thanks. I already threw a lot of money aside into my savings acct so I have more than enough money to get down there and back, and for most issues that could come up.

If I can find someone somewhere around virgina/tenn I would actually really consider towing the bike that far and riding it down the rest of the way. Id much prefer if it was somewhere close to my route, 81 and if it was someone who was fairly well known on here so I'm not risking leaving a vehicle somewhere.

Anyone know of someone near 81 in virginia or tenn????

Comment

thanks for all the tips and pointers in this guys too. I really appreciate all the suggestions. You never know, someone might suggest the one thing that could make or break this trip so I'm trying to store all the suggestions in the front of my mind for easy access! lol

Comment

Trailer 'em down. You'll all be a lot fresher and more likely to enjoy your vacation.
                        Whatever you do, have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Florida Guy View Post
                          Trailer 'em down. You'll all be a lot fresher and more likely to enjoy your vacation.
                          Whatever you do, have fun.

oh don't you worry about us having fun. that's #1 on my to-do list! lol Thanks for the vote. I really don't want to trailer behind my car if I can avoid it so I think that if I can borrow a truck or something I have decided on trailering most the way and taking a short one day trip on the bike the rest of the way. If I can't find a tow vehicle, then we'll be riding the whole way. I'd rather be a little sore and take 3 days than break my car trying to shorten the trip! lol

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
                            If I can find someone somewhere around virgina/tenn I would actually really consider towing the bike that far and riding it down the rest of the way. Id much prefer if it was somewhere close to my route, 81 and if it was someone who was fairly well known on here so I'm not risking leaving a vehicle somewhere.

Anyone know of someone near 81 in virginia or tenn????
                            If you go the pickup truck route and you otherwise can't find a secure spot to leave it, the Charlotte Airport is only a mile or so off of I-85 on which you will be traveling. They offer parking at $4 per day and you might be able to beat that shopping around the numerous private lots that serve the facility. Around any large airport there are a bunch of long term parking lots. They are not free of course but they are relatively secure (fenced and gated) and they are open 24/7. There is no need to coordinate your arrival times with another party. I have successfully used airport facilities for non-flying travel needs several times over the years.

If you have a car with a trailer it might not work as well. You may have to pay for two spaces.
                            Last edited by dpep; 03-15-2009, 01:45 PM.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Update: got the original engine back in the bike, backrest made for the girlfriend and helmet to helmet communicator, tank bag, new mirrors, the painting will be done on the next nice day so the air compressor doesn't suck in moist air.. umm... I need to make a couple mounts for the rear tabs of the luggage rack and something for some highway pegs for me. I have a throttle lock that's ready to go on and i'll order a windshield this week. I'm looking forward to doing lots of break-in miles in the next couple weeks!

Comment

okay so I'm almost ready to leave. I have everything painted and on except my foolish tank. I put some flames on it when I painted it and the clear that I put over it wasn't compatable with the base coat paint... grrrrr The paint didn't set up correctly because it wasn't warm enough to cure overnight like it should so it was soft and I marked it up some with just my hands so I think that I'll repaint anything I mess up after I get back. It would be easy now though!

also I got a new windshield. It's the F-15 tour windshield from National Cycle. I'll post some pics when I get the tank on. I like the windshield. I'll adjust the rake on it this weekend.

It should be tall enough to push the wind up out of the way. I have my new rear tire that's ready to go on. Still haven't put it on yet though. I think I'll mount it and then just have the dealership balance it. Shouldn't cost me $25 then.

I also put new throttle and clutch cables on it. flushed and bled the brake lines with rebuilt calipers. I'll put a new sync on the carbs in a day or two.

I put in new front wheel bearings in last week. I wasn't thrilled with them though because they are open on the inside. I prefer closed/closed bearings or having seals there or something. The front end is tight now though and if suzuki runs them that way, they should be ok for another 25k!

If I think of anything else, I'll post that up.

Comment

Working...
                                X