Back of the Dragon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back of the Dragon

Who here has done this ride? It looks like a bunch of fun and much closer to me than Deals Gap. Is there a bunch of traffic? Is it monitored much by the local law enforcement? Are there many decent places to stay that don't cost a fortune?

A link to the location would be good. Where is it?
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

THis...?

VA Route 16, the two lane ribbon over the three mountains between Tazewell and Marion, Virginia

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I have read lots of awesome things about that place, even 16 far north of it well into WV. It looks AWESOME on the map, the crossings literally are the tails of 2 or 3 mountain ranges. I linked a few videos of it I belive, check my wintertime blues videos post in the off topic forum. Looks like an absolute blast on the maps & vids. The Mighty Python (us58?) & 421 The Snake are both near it, as well as Mt Rogers just across the GA border. WV/VA16 have been on my TO DO list for a while, or rather "MUST RIDE!"
        Last edited by Chuck78; 03-21-2014, 01:01 AM.
        '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
        '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
        '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
        '79 GS425stock
        PROJECTS:
        '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
        '77 GS550 740cc major mods
        '77 GS400 489cc racer build
        '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
        '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Doug, I see you are in PA, hit me up later & I will link you to some amazing northeast wv roads that are much closer.orread my posts on the2014 wv rally thread
          '79 GS425stock
          PROJECTS:
          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Any place like that will have a police presents, less so during the weekday

Comment

Yep, it's a lot of fun. I've been there at least twice.

It's also just one incredible country road among thousands in a vast area, so no, there's little to no police presence unless you happen to arrive just after a pack of squids have splattered themselves against the scenery, or if you're making yourself annoying in some way.

Even on the actual world-famous Dragon on a nice weekend, you'll find cops haunt the place only during the prime idiot hours of about 10-3. Morons like to sleep in, and they like to congregate in large noisy herds (maybe so they can smell each other or something -- I have no idea). So they're easy to avoid. You can actually get out of bed, enjoy yourself on a nearly deserted Dragon for a few hours in the morning, then wander off and ride somewhere else the rest of the day.

However, you WILL find police and speed traps all over Appalachia in the small towns and on the boring four lane straight roads that follow the wrinkles from southwest to northeast -- watch the speed limit signs carefully whenever there's more than one house in view, and NEVER EVER crank it up on any bit of straight road immediately after a choice stretch of twistage.

Besides being a great way to supplement the local police retirement and doughnut fund, blasting the straights is just plain dumb wherever you are -- any idiot can yank a throttle wide open.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by doug g View Post
                Who here has done this ride? It looks like a bunch of fun and much closer to me than Deals Gap.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                Yep, it's a lot of fun. I've been there at least twice.
                Brian,
                Maybe you know.....
                I looked at this on map briefly, and was wondering its proximity to the area where the GSR WV ralley is (Fayetteville..?).
                Looks like the "Back Of Dragon" road/area is not too far south of there, such that Doug G (the OP) could work both of them into one trip.

Dave

Last edited by Redman; 03-21-2014, 12:48 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

It's several hours away actually. I was looking into it for our WV trip last May, but we nrver made it that far due to time & distance.
                  '79 GS425stock
                  PROJECTS:
                  '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                  X