No announcement yet.

2023 Brown County, Indiana GS Rally - June 8-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got out today for just my second ride this year doing 130 miles. Hopefully, I'll find time to do more in the next two weeks.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Scott, I hope you get your butt out on the road this weekend and finish scraping the rust off!

Same goes for everyone else, too! GO ON, GIT! Go ride. That's an order.

I do know that IN-450 is closed around Trinity Springs for a long bridge replacement project seven miles south of Williams. You can continue and enjoy 14 miles of the bet bits of 450 there and back, then take Williams-Huron road past the covered bridge. This pops out on US 50 a few miles east of Shoals.

There may be other detours and closings I don't know about yet. On the plus side, there won't be any flooding.

Now then, as to routes. The following GPX tracks follow roads that are flawed, freaky, filthy, and have all sorts of weird stuff going on. And sometimes the tracks ended up in places they shouldn't have, like unpaved roads. So stay alert, stay flexible, and stay upright.

But anyway, here they are if this sort of thing is the sort of thing that's your sort of thing:

Here's my Saturday track, pretty much the most intense twistacular kookoo kokonuts route I could dream up. Dale and I were completely beat by the end of the day -- everyone else tapped out. Yes, really. This one's wild. There's an older track called "Bedford Borden Blunk Bash" with a lot of these elements, but this one is even better, and has fewer errors.

Twisted Overload
      https://www.bwringer.com/gpx/bedford...t-overload.gpx
      It takes a lovely scenic and twisty back road route to and from Salem, and routes around the road closing in Salem (this might be open by now... not sure). Then another back road route to Borden, and a romp up and down and around the hills around Borden, shoots over to the spectacular Skyline Drive on a high ridge overlooking New Albany and Louisville (please stop if you want to look at the scenery... it's impossible to both ride and look). Then it goes up and down the Ohio river valley several times (Blunk Road is one of my favorites -- positively demented). There's a busy little country store in Elizabeth, a rather "authentic" biker bar in Mauckport, and a gorgeous back road route from there to Corydon, then back through Salem via Beck's Mill Road.

This is the raw track, no cleanup or anything, wrong turns and all, so buyer beware. There is one very short, less than 1/4 mile, segment of gravel near the end of the day just outside Bono. You can work around it on the next road to the south easily enough.​

Below are some more links to some of my area GPX tracks from past years. These are pretty flawed, but could help show you a good time if you don't take them very seriously.

As ever, these routes are only a faint echo of the reality on the ground, and are the product of a deeply imperfect memory coupled with a terribly flawed computer translation of what may or may not be actual roads that may or may not be passable on two wheels shod with street tires.

Plus, in several spots I couldn't figure out how to alter an incorrect route I already created using Alltrails, so I just drew some alternates.

I cannot offer any assurances that these routes exist, or are paved, or are safe. There could be anything from dead animals to tractors, Orcs, dragons, weird cults, wormholes or even (horrors!) minivans out there. Yes, there WILL be gravel in every corner. There WILL be unexpected construction projects.

Take these routes as only the vaguest hand wave of a suggestion. Pay attention, stay sharp, CARRY A PAPER MAP (I will bring some), and you may eventually figure out how to get back to Bedford.

Still, this is Indiana, so there are no mountains to get trapped behind. Or bears. I did see a camel once.

Except for the "short" route, these make for a VERY long, exhausting day of intense twisties; there are lots of opportunities for shortcutting loops as needed, so please take advantage of these as you see fit.

Bedford 1 - 280 miles
      https://www.alltrails.com/explore/ma...rd-1-280mi?u=i
      https://www.bwringer.com/gs/bcgsrall...-280-miles.gpx
      Starting at the Rosemount Motel in Bedford. Nice paved twisty road track. 280 miles. Includes detour around 2021 construction on 145 south of Birdseye. This is no longer needed, so stay on 145; it's much more fun. This one mostly goes south of Bedford. 450 is closed around Trinity Springs, so detour on Williams-Huron Road as mentioned above.

Bedford 2 - 305 miles
      https://www.alltrails.com/explore/ma...-305-miles?u=i
      https://www.bwringer.com/gs/bcgsrall...-305-miles.gpx
      Nice scenic twisty road track starting at the Rosemount Motel in Bedford, Indiana. Paved. 305 miles is a lot, so choose where to cut off a loop by continuing on a main road as needed. Wesley Chapel Gulf, Orangeville Rise, Story, Tulip Trestle, etc. Includes small detour around construction on 135 for 2021 that isn't needed, but may be worth a look if you're curious. This one mostly goes north of Bedford.

BC North Short - 115 miles
      https://www.alltrails.com/explore/ma...orth-short?u=i
      https://www.bwringer.com/gs/bcgsrall...orth-Short.gpx
      About 115 miles, originating from Bedford, IN. Includes detours for 2021 construction that add about 12 miles and aren't needed any more. Nice shorter route, mostly north of Bedford.

BC Rally Southern Classic - 289 miles
      https://www.alltrails.com/explore/ma...th-classic?u=i
      https://www.bwringer.com/gs/bcgsrall...rn-Classic.gpx
      Starting from Bedford, IN, the classic southern route. Incredibly scenic and twisty. Includes route around 2021 construction on 145 south of Birdseye, not needed, so you can just stay on 145. South of Bedford, obviously. Closely related to Bedford 1. 450 is closed around Trinity Springs, so detour on Williams-Huron Road as mentioned above.
      Last edited by bwringer; 06-01-2023, 04:39 PM.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

This is a map of road closures -- there are only a few that will affect us, but depending on your route to Bedford you might want to review these:
        https://511in.org/event/incars-144853/@-86.14606,38.41534,11?show=construction,future,floo ding

Ones to be aware of are:
        IN-450 closed just south of Trinity Springs - the only realistic paved detour is via Williams-Huron road, a very nice ride (turn left to go past the covered bridge). This pops out onto US 50 in Huron, a few miles east of Shoals. It's also fun to continue past the signs south of Williams and enjoy almost no traffic for the seven miles to the closure, then turn around and ride it the other way.

IN-62 West of Leavenworth (east of Sulphur). I don't know whether the local roads detour is paved; the official detour isn't bad at all, so just use that.

IN-64 east of English. Should be easy to work around, and most riders don't use this route anyway.

IN-43 is closed south of Solsberry; this could affect riders visiting Tulip trestle. There's an easy workaround on a couple of county roads just to the west, and I'm 95% sure they're paved.

IN-58 just north of Freetown is closed. I don't think folks usually ride up thataway, but there are county road workarounds to the southeast if needed.

IN-256 just west of Austin and IN-160 east of Salem are closed. Might want to review your route if you're using these roads to get to Bedford.

Also, 56 in Salem is still closed, and a mess. Just follow the locals to get around the closure on city streets, or route around the town entirely on county roads.
        Last edited by bwringer; 06-01-2023, 05:06 PM.
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Holy smokes Brian! Thanks for all the detailed info, warnings, and routes. That's a lot of work and "planning"...better watch out, people will starting thinking this is a "rally". . Appreciate the heads up on the 450 closure. Can't wait to ride that out and back on my way into Bedford. Also looking forward to trying Twisted Overload. I've never ridden those Eastern sections. Seriously can't wait to view those views and twist those twisties. See y'all soon!!!
          Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
          Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Thanks, Greg!

One more thing... if you like paper maps and have access to a color laser printer, this is an old one that still mostly works that you could print, or print in sections. This covers the "northern" stuff. Ignore the stuff about breakfast, lunch, etc.

This is a large image file, 3MB:

This is the southern part of the state. No routes marked, just a map. Again, this is a pretty large image, 3.4MB:

I will print out and bring some copies of these if you aren't able to print them. As with any paper map, these sort of fudge a lot of details. And they are pretty old, so some things are a little different now (for example, IN-37/237 around Tell City has been reconfigured.)
            Eat more venison.

Comment

Thanks for maps Brian! I'm looking for some good loop I can memorize and work on my TT fantasy.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Getting my bike ready and getting excited! Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

To anyone checking out the Tulip Trestle: Sharky Road, the local road that goes directly north off IN 54, turns into a gravel downhill close to the trestle. Google Maps may route you that way. The better detour if you want to stay on pavement might be to take 54 West to Bloomfield, then 157 North to Tulip Road. Then again, there are plenty of delightfully undulating roads around there and a lot of them are paved. So you probably can get there without going as far out of your way.
                1982 Suzuki GS450TXZ
                1985 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S
                2015 Suzuki V-Strom DL650

Comment

Only a few days to go!

Coupla things:

1) Some unknown fraction of us are meeting for lunch, as is tradition, at the Mayberry Cafe in Danville, Indiana. It's a little suburban town just west of Indy. Show up if you'd like a nice home-cooked lunch and some idle chitchat in an Andy Griffith themed environment. We're meeting at 1:00 EDT -- make sure you consider the time change, if any. From there, we'll wend our way south to Bedford via many mazy meandering mysterious miles.

2) If your plans have changed, please let me know. Everyone should have my number and email.

Eat more venison.

Comment

I'll be there bright and early Saturday morning with my Bandit on a trailer (how lame, I know). Looking forward to meeting folks and the Saturday ride led by Brian. I volunteer to ride at the back of the pack
                    Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
                    Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Comment

Serviced, and thoroughly cleaned the bike yesterday. She's ready to go.
                      Will be servicing my brother in-laws bike tomorrow. It will be ready to go.
                      Will try to make that lunch appointment in Danville. I assume it is Thursday afternoon at 1pm EDT ?
                      If not, we will meet up for dinner in Bedford, as per usual.

Still really wish I was riding the Rocket down to ride with the speedster group, but... Is what it is this year... Haven't ridden with the scenic group in a long time. Should be nice.
                      '83 GS 1100T
                      The Jet

sigpic
                      '95 GSXR 750w
                      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Anyone riding up from the south on Thursday is welcome to join me around noon for lunch at the Riverview Restaurant in Hawesville KY.
                        Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Y'all have a good, and very safe, weekend. Have fun. Post photos. Share stories. And I really hope to be there next year.
                          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                            Y'all have a good, and very safe, weekend. Have fun. Post photos. Share stories. And I really hope to be there next year.
                            Dang Bob! You mean I have to bring my own whiskey this year??? What the h3ll??? I'll miss seeing you too of course. But you always bring such interesting whiskey.

Comment

Mmkay, looks like we've lost a few folks to boring real-life stuff.

If you're a first-timer or on the fence, please consider attending and let me know if you need a room -- we have a few available!

And if you're in a double but would prefer to be by yourself, now's your chance to go lone wolf...

Email is best for me, since the new forum PMs are not the most reliable or user-friendly: brian@bwringer.com

Thanks!
                              Last edited by bwringer; 06-06-2023, 10:08 AM.
                              Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post

Dang Bob! You mean I have to bring my own whiskey this year??? What the h3ll??? I'll miss seeing you too of course. But you always bring such interesting whiskey.
                                Sorry buddy, but I got a couple of appointments that are hard to get, and can't be missed.
                                But let me recommend Bowman Brothers Small Batch, if I haven't already.
                                Fairly easy to find, under $35, and taste very much like Blanton's.
                                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
                                X