Remove Off Topic from New Posts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
    I had Frank remove OT from my account. No regrets.
    Ditto.....
    Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
    1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
      I must have turned my 'new posts' option off in my profile a long time ago because all I get when I sign on is the forum top page.

But I do have a suggestion for those who would want to retain the new posts option but reduce the amount of OT posts that appear without dropping that forum altogether. You can put individuals on ignore and not see their posts. A high volume of the OT posts are generated by a relatively few members. At any point in time take note of those who post a lot in OT but not the tech or travel forums and just put them on ignore. You can do that completely on your own without involving Frank and I am sure that would achieve a lot of what you are seeking.
      You can see all thread titles of people you have on ignore, and I think that's the issue reported by the OP - the sheer bulk of thread titles to sift through.

Although I use the 'new posts' feature on this forum it's not perfect. It's an easy way to see who has replied to any threads you're involved in, but if you haven't been around in a while it's a lot to sift through. I also miss new posts that might be interesting due to careless skimming. On other forums that are REALLY big I find the feature useless due to the high volume of posts and just browse the forums I'm interested in. It's just a natural limitation of the feature, and barring a way to actually predetermine what shows up in the feed removing whole forums that you're not interested in can be an effective way to mitigate that.
      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Review Forum Options

Originally posted by Allie View Post
        You can see all thread titles of people you have on ignore, and I think that's the issue reported by the OP - the sheer bulk of thread titles to sift through.

Although I use the 'new posts' feature on this forum it's not perfect. It's an easy way to see who has replied to any threads you're involved in, but if you haven't been around in a while it's a lot to sift through. I also miss new posts that might be interesting due to careless skimming. On other forums that are REALLY big I find the feature useless due to the high volume of posts and just browse the forums I'm interested in. It's just a natural limitation of the feature, and barring a way to actually predetermine what shows up in the feed removing whole forums that you're not interested in can be an effective way to mitigate that.
        Wait, what? Other Forums?

There's one other frequented by me every once in a while but this one is the only other one I review. Like you said Allie, there's WAY too much to look/review/skim so I understand how people can get frustrated. Having 1-2 forums is enough to keep me busy...and that's not saying much.

It amazes me the amount of folks who determine they don't want to view something but yet continue to come back. (I know, it's the freedom to voice opinions) Wasn't looking for a rebuttal, just thinking out loud.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I had Frank remove OT from my account several years ago. It made this Forum so much more enjoyable since I only come here for motorcycle related topics. Starting today when I click on New Posts the Off Topic stuff is appearing again. Anyone else have this happen? Dar

Comment

Never mind....this appears to be the new campfire thread. Oh Boy.....

Comment

When I check new posts I'd prefer not to see the twenty daily wingnut thread titles posted either but what the hey.

1978 GS1000C
              1979 GS1000E
              1980 GS1000E
              2004 Roadstar

Comment

The only way to remove the posts is to have "The Vortex" removed from your forum configuration.

Frank

Comment

I'd like to request that the off-topic forums be removed from my account as well, if possible.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by srg View Post
                    I'd like to request that the off-topic forums be removed from my account as well, if possible.

Thanks!
                    Vortex is where you go to read about Muslim transgender politics.

Campfire is harmless off-topic.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

This could be used

but would have to be installed by the Admin......

Comment

just
                        don't
                        go
                        there
                        !!!!!!

Comment

You shouldn't eliminate the vortex anyway. You'll miss the Kanadian political threads and by doing that miss the latest hockey news and some good beer discussion......
                          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                          1983 GS 750

Comment

I am not going for that bait.

Keep your hook line and sinker.

Vortex free and remaining so.
                            Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
                            1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Typical Habs fan.........
                              Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                              Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                              1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                                just
                                don't
                                go
                                there
                                !!!!!!
                                It's not about not going there, it's about having the access but not having the post show when u hit new posts..

Comment

Working...
                                X