Cafe Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
    My "T" came with an "L" seat and it was rather ugly looking but very comfortable. Now that small tank is very odd...it's so noticeable and an eye-sore.

Wait, why are we talkin' about Laverne on Cafe thread?

Ed
    I named my 550 'Laverne', a-cause the 'L' on the side cover looked like the 'L' on her sweater.
    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Is this the "Dumbing Down of America Thread" thread?
      I dunno, maybe it's just been hijacked
      Anyway, I'm not a fan of the L series, and am I right do they have down tuned engines with lower lift cams?
      I'd be happy to go cafe with one of those, however because the frames dip so low I think my knees would drag.
      Low cams, Low seats, Low performance = Lots of mods needed to make one go fast…
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
        Anyway, I'm not a fan of the L series, and am I right do they have down tuned engines with lower lift cams?
        I'd be happy to go cafe with one of those, however because the frames dip so low I think my knees would drag.
        Low cams, Low seats, Low performance = Lots of mods needed to make one go fast…
        No. The engines are the same as they on the other GS models, not de-tuned.

Comment

Lol, you guys are ridiculous at best. It's the same engine just different frame. The L as it came was not the most comfortable ride. You are most certainly right about that. Yet, after putting euro bars on it, dropping it on the front forks a bit, and cutting 2 inches off the foam on the seat I get to enjoy the same experience and enjoyment driving one of these beautiful Suzuki motorcycles as you do. And isn't that the damn point instead of being an opinionated little prick

Comment

Post 90, and this is a great example of how not to destroy a fine period bike, all bolt ons and a completely different style is achieved. Looks Great!, but some times, the bike we start with has already been hacked by others, so tracking down parts, rear frame, lights, seats,etc... the "cafe" is another choice of the next caretaker and at least keep whats left on the road and enjoy the ride.

Comment

chucksuki, all altered bikes are welcome in "The GS Cafe", here we can comment and give tips or suggestions on what works, performs well and what is junk. Bring on the "brats" as well.

Comment

I got this far with the mods.

Notice the auto dipping turn signals
                Last edited by Brendan W; 06-07-2015, 07:28 AM.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Laverne & 850G

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                  I named my 550 'Laverne', a-cause the 'L' on the side cover looked like the 'L' on her sweater.
                  It's the first thing I thought of when I saw the "L" too. Wonder if we can find any "Happy Days" references.

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                  I got this far with the mods.

Notice the auto dipping turn signals
                  What a beautiful bike!

Ed

EDIT: So that's your "Cafe"?
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Lets not forget that the 1000s was Suzuki's first attempt to copy a trend that, I believe started in England and made its way to the US. I made my first cafe in 78 or 79 out of my 77 GS750. It was butt ugly. But it hauled ass and no one else had one. I cant stand bikes where the only difference between mine and others is a key! Look at what the evolution of the 1000s has done for cafe,which turned into sport bikes. If one doesn't like a person's build, that's his opinion and valid. But don't roast the guy for hacking up a bike. That would be his opinion and just as valid...
                    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by Lorenzo View Post
                      Gs-cafe, G-3
                      my intervention was not designed to divide people but, to possibly find a common ground on which each and everyone outlook on what to do with their own property,​ would not create frictions with other members;

tkent02
                      tell me exactly how do you expect to turn a 2,77 power2weight ratio machine, maybe shaft driven, designed and engineered to offer a more than decent transport, in a wide spectrum of possible uses (chasing twists, touring two up etc.) into a rocket, by hacking at some brackets or just tell me what, maybe the pillion footrest, the horn, what?

I did not exactly say, one, cannot install 41mm forks, play with trail, put better shocks, different tires, more gripping brakes, different carbs, rebore the engine, and wathever...

Now that I think better tkent02...

...if the objective of it all, is to play with your stuff, the way you are entitled to, as an act of freedom, or more aptly, as a display of your engineering capabilities or rampant style flair, why then, you get yourself in a jail of tenets, dognas, precepts of how a type of bike (cafe-racer in this instance) should be built to comply with the "standard"??

And you also might understand the position diametrically opposite to yours, of people who righteously so, say "thats how a GS was meant to be.."

nothing personal

from the sohc forum

by the way, as anyone got a spare Giulari?
                      Awe, now that brings back memories for me....my 1st cycle was a 74 CB750---stock but aftermarket paint, and my 2nd was a 75 CB750 done up clubman style...no fenders on mine though. Still miss the sound of 4 into 4...almost as good as my kawi H-2's 3 into 3...but far tinnier...tinny-er....higher pitched!

Comment

To me, this goes back to the age old discussion of which is better- dead concourse stock or modified/hotrod?
                        -I like both!
                        There are times I love seeing a car or bike that's absolutely dead stock and cherry as the day she was put out on the lot....and there are certain highly modified same things that I like as well......and we've seen the less than stellar attempts on either- but that's our opinion. It won't change the owners thoughts one lil bit about his pride and joy. Build your bike your way - the only one who really has to like it is yourself. Honestly I see more E types than Gs here...but I like Es too...never been a fan of the early Kats styling wise, but more power to those who do like them. Ls are the early cruisers...too short for my 36" inseem/legs...but same there too- great for those who like them. I thought this site was dedicated to all GS/GSX cycles...even the Ls.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                          To me, this goes back to the age old discussion of which is better- dead concourse stock or modified/hotrod?
                          -I like both!
                          There are times I love seeing a car or bike that's absolutely dead stock and cherry as the day she was put out on the lot....and there are certain highly modified same things that I like as well......and we've seen the less than stellar attempts on either- but that's our opinion. It won't change the owners thoughts one lil bit about his pride and joy. Build your bike your way - the only one who really has to like it is yourself. Honestly I see more E types than Gs here...but I like Es too...never been a fan of the early Kats styling wise, but more power to those who do like them. Ls are the early cruisers...too short for my 36" inseem/legs...but same there too- great for those who like them. I thought this site was dedicated to all GS/GSX cycles...even the Ls.

Hahaha. yeah, so did I until I started posting on here. Every bike Suzuki made under the GS name was amazing. I have an E and an L, I honestly don't see the difference, yet my 79 1000L is heavily modded and rides like an E. My 78 750e is now a brat, also heavily modded. Both insanely fast and uber reliable, both carve corners like Michelangelo....I will give the naysayers this, the L unmodded is terribly uncomfy.

Comment

That being said, there is a hatred for L's here on the forum that is a country mile wide

Comment

Originally posted by gordinho80 View Post
                              Just about everyone on here hates me for "hacking up" my 83 GS1100G... but I love how it looks! I bought the bike and I did what I wanted to do to it. Is it a perfect example of a Cafe Racer? No, and it likely never will be. But I appreciate the way it looks now a million times over how it looked stock. Hate on me if you want.

I'm not finished... more changes coming soon!

old post... but beautiful bike! I love it.

Comment

I do like that bike, it looks like a decent job with a good eye for balance. All it needs is a stoplight, turn signals, and a license plate holder to be perfect.
                                "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Working...
                                X