It has begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
    Superb. I just picked up a couple of those 1000 .lb Lazy Susan's the make for making a center stand bike turn around. That way I figure I can drive in, offset the bikes, mount of the turntables, and just turn them around without much effort.

@ the 3:00 minute mark, you get a good view of what he did in action:

I would be interested in a report on how useful you find these. I considered using one in my garage but overall it did not seem like much if any advantage to just backing the bike in, I saw two potential problems. The first was that that you would have to put the bike on it's centerstand centered on the disk each time. That could be a bit of a job depending upon the bike and the state of it's suspension The second would be the amount of floor space I would have to keep clear to allow the 180 degree sweep--real estate that would otherwise be available for equipment or other bikes.

It strikes me as something that could be the answer in certain situations but perhaps not beneficial in most. It would be educational to hear from someone actually using one.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
      Superb. I just picked up a couple of those 1000 .lb Lazy Susan's the make for making a center stand bike turn around. That way I figure I can drive in, offset the bikes, mount of the turntables, and just turn them around without much effort.

@ the 3:00 minute mark, you get a good view of what he did in action:

Originally posted by dpep View Post

I would be interested in a report on how useful you find these. I considered using one in my garage but overall it did not seem like much if any advantage to just backing the bike in, I saw two potential problems. The first was that that you would have to put the bike on it's centerstand centered on the disk each time. That could be a bit of a job depending upon the bike and the state of it's suspension The second would be the amount of floor space I would have to keep clear to allow the 180 degree sweep--real estate that would otherwise be available for equipment or other bikes.

It strikes me as something that could be the answer in certain situations but perhaps not beneficial in most. It would be educational to hear from someone actually using one.
      Mr. S. and Don, I have a very similar product I bought 5 years ago or so. (Photo below). There is no way to back in to my garage unless you have someone to help push, or a reverse gear. Our drive is pretty steep and drops off right out the door.

As to how it worked? For me, and I am not very big guy, it was near impossible to get my GS on the stand using it. It takes away 1/2" of clearance. I finally got it on the stand, on the product, but only by parking the rear tire on a 1/2" piece of wood.

Once it is on, it does work as expected. Of course I have a nice polished concrete floor.

However, that polished floor created an additional issue. When I went to take it off, I couldn't push it off the stand...The stand, with all four wheels locked, just slide on my polished floor. Ended up finding something to use as tiny wheel chocks to get the GS back off.

Anyway, I put it in the corner of the garage and never used it again. If anyone wants it, bring me a case of craft beer, and you can take it away.

Mr. S, since the one you are getting is just to turn and not move the bike around, and it appears thinner, it should work much better.
      Probably what I should have gotten in the first place. But I've become an expert on the 6 point turn.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Bob, I can't imagine trying to get the centerstand down on that thing even with the wheels locked and a big piece of wood under the rear tire. It didn't try to slide across the polished floor?
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
        80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
          Bob, I can't imagine trying to get the centerstand down on that thing even with the wheels locked and a big piece of wood under the rear tire. It didn't try to slide across the polished floor?
          No, not really. With wheels locked and the board under the tire, it went up about like normal. It was just that forward push to get it off the center stand that slide the wheels.
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

When I bought my ZRX, the guy gave me a little hydraulic lift. Appx 2 1/2' long, 1 1/2' wide, wheels at corners, and 2 rails that go under the frame, and or exhaust, appx. middle of bike. Works pretty well, much more stable than I'd have thought, plus has eyelets so can use tie straps for a little more stability. Haven't had the need to spin bike around while on this lift, but shouldn't be a problem, other than caster wheels on one end and fixed on the other, would take less room if it had casters on both ends.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

The "Lazy Susans" I purchased are very thin. Since the floor is wood, I've been thinking of "pegging" them for use, and being able to remove them when not used. I plan do make them as thin as possible. My ZZR1200 does not have a center stand, because I've lowered it 1" inch with a "Soupy's Lowering Ki" and the center stand does not clear the dog bones. I have been pounding on my CAD and have come up with a way of making a center stand that mounts on the original mounts, but will come off, and I may be able to make it portable, and carry it on the bike. I have Triple AAA, in a worse case scenario.

My Spinal Cord disability has really put the kibosh on a lot of things lately, but once I can get the pain under control, I will be moving forward with the GS1150 front end to put on my '83 GS750SE. I have a now set of 3 spoke Katana wheels, TOKICO brakes, and all the parts to do this swap. .

Thumbs are crossed.

Your workshop has been set up very efficiently. I hope to emulate that, it has been inspiring.

Comment

Working...
              X