No Nascar fans???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Nascar fans???

Hard to imagine how few Nascar fans around here. Hey, did anybody know the Daytona 500 was yesterday?
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
    Hard to imagine how few Nascar fans around here. Hey, did anybody know the Daytona 500 was yesterday?
    My wife and I were big fans years ago. Back when Dale E. was racing. My wife even did the Richard Petty experience, driving a real ex-race car over 140mph.
    But these days, nope. We had it on for the start and the stupid ending, But aside from Jimmy Johnson giving up on Indy Car, not much interest.

However, Formula 1 and Indy Car start the first weekend in March...I like both, but can't wait for F1 to start.....(Love me some 3 second pit stops)

And season 5 of Netflix's, F1: Drive to Survive, drops this Friday so we can relive last season's racing.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Understandable Bob, It's hard to imagine how many folks have left Nascar in the past 15 yrs., yesterday they said a few times Daytona was sold out, but watching the grandstands while race was going on, there were bunches of empty seats, Heck they can't even sell out at Bristol anymore. It seems every time they change something, to try to get fans, more fans keep leaving. It's a shame, today if you took the logos and tail light stickers off the cars, nobody could tell which are the Chevys, Fords, or Toyotas ... It looks to me like Nascar is doing it to themselves and can't even see it.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Can you blame a person for preferring some REAL racing?
        If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

"Real racing"??? Seems that will be biased as to what you're into. Many possibilities, this being a motorcycle site, maybe means Motorcycle racing? or possibly those oversized go-cart looking open wheel things, like Bob mentioned, or possibly a foot race or swimming race, heck they even have races with dogs pulling snow sleds. I's always watching Nascar, the "stock" looking cars, like we could buy from the dealers show room, though it's not at all like that any more.... and I'm not as into it as I once was... When I started this thread I's just thinking, big as the Daytona 500 is, and it hadn't been mentioned. Hoping whatever anyone's "real race" is, they enjoy them.

Comment

If they fill the trunks up with moonshine and have real revenuers chase them around the track . I'll watch a race ......
            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
            Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
            1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              ...possibly those oversized go-cart looking open wheel things, like Bob mentioned...
              Those oversized go carts are 18 ft long, 6.5 ft wide, and 1800 lbs....
              They have a 1.6 L turbo/hybrid engine producing around 1000 hp.

If you have Netflix, check out season one of that series above.
              It only took a couple episodes for my wife become a big fan.
              You might find something to replace NASCAR

To be fair, I do like Nascar when they are on a road course. That's fun.
              Also watch Indy Car, MotoGP, Formula E, pretty much anything. Even Sail GP is cool....
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

OOHhhh, Cap, back to their roots, I'd guarantee that would bring more fans to Nascar than limiting what rear gear ratio, what # springs they can use or just using one lug nut as Nascar rules now do. I do see why folks keep leaving, can't say as I blame them... Naw Bob,I've tried the open wheel stuff several times, over the yrs. I just couldn't relate to it... Glad ya'll found a replacement.
                Last edited by rphillips; 02-20-2023, 02:38 PM.

Comment

NASCAR has never been real racing in my book. Someone gets too big a lead, oh, looks like "debris on the track", better throw a yellow flag. One make or team starts to dominate, change the rules or give them a handicap to "make it fair". Bunch of crap.
                  Real racing is a set of rules at the beginning of the season, and the teams and drivers going at it hammer and tongs for the year to see who's best. Without the org having their thumb on the scale at various times for any number of reasons.

It's really not much better than WWF. Although those guys are actual athletes.
                  '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Rich, you've nailed it "today", yrs. past it just wasn't that way... Rules have changed, Yesterday Kyle Bush was leading at the end of the 200th lap of a 200 lap race, and finished 19th??? 1948 till 2004, first 56 yrs, whoever led the 200th lap won the race, till they tried to fix it in 2004. Just another of their rule change that within the last couple of laps, the race was extended to 212 laps.. And Rich, I just looked it up, there have been 12 races where the winner had lapped the field, nobody but him was on the lead lap at the end. As late as 1994 when Geoff Bodine won at North Wilkesboro NC. and Terry Labonte was 2nd, one lap down. Nobody saw any mystery debris back in those days... Unlike today.
                    Last edited by rphillips; 02-20-2023, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I recall when Daytona went from the beach to the new paved track......that was racing, all right. Haven't paid much attention since then.

Comment

Dang dog, you're telling your age. Last Daytona race on sand was 1958, I don't remember, I's only 4 yr. old back then.

Comment

Not a huge fan but I try to catch the last 20 laps of a race if I'm not doing something else. That is when the real racing happens anyway.
                          sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                          2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I live less than 20 miles from the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation area where there was a lot of Moonshine making done during Prohibition and after. There are many tales of local shine runners and the Revinuers who tried to catch them which gave birth to NASCAR.
                            sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                            2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post
                              Can you blame a person for preferring some REAL racing?
                              What I see is a bunch of billboards in a big traffic rush, that continues for hours on end.
                              Oh boy lots of crashes,… boring…
                              Oh, the end of race if you look again hours later, dudes wearing multiple hats in a stack on their heads and spilling liquids.

Why watch a race if you can be in a race?
                              There are numerous inexpensive motorsports of different sorts a person can get involved in, and do some "real racing".
                              You can even take your car to a SCCA track day!!!
                              I can't remember buying a ticket to any race of any kind, because I feel like a mope watching other peeps doing what I could also do.
                              Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 02-22-2023, 08:34 AM.
                              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                              X