Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Too much bike" or nostalgia? 100hp 4cyl vs <50hp twin for leisurely back road riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no offence intended per your article-really, I it takes me 1/2 hour to choose a bike to ride today and they are all 400-500cc twins these days...but worrying about your buddy zooming ahead on his 750 is kind of pschyzoid in the context of trundling secondary roads on a medium twin.....Plus,, if you started first, and gave the motor time to wind up, it'd at least take him awhile to catch up, and "how long it takes" is just as satisfying where you have the disadvantage...and-need say- if you don't both crash into a tractor at the upcoming hairpin...

Overall, I think being 21 again on your first decent (or not) bike is at the root. Can't be done, IMO. The fun you can have now is where it's at. A Honda CT70-110 or a light dirtbike, an XS650, a REAL Triumph, an Indian BSA ..all simple unblended bikes with kickstarts- all Fun and at least reminiscent even if they're not time-machines.

Look up "Jedz", a member on the forum and his minitrail! Bags of fun are everywhere- it's just a matter of spare cash and choosing...

PS I've considered a new RE650 but it always goes to "why?" How is it "better" or even as good-as, the bikes I have now? My GSX400T apart from the EFI is really really close as far as I can tell and spending (CAN)$9000 to $11000 seems just silly. I could get so much else for that or buy tents for Turks or first aid for Ukranians with that....
    Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-17-2023, 12:58 PM.

Comment

In the UK we’d call them “B” Roads…. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...mbering_scheme
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Now that's confusing, I've been on single track back rds., but never remember being on one of them dual carriageways, I don't think we've got any of them around here.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

We have some very narrow, bumpy roads around here. When I'm going to be riding them, this is what I take.

Mad
          Attached Files
          83 GS750E
          2006 ZX14
          2004 KTM 450 EXC
          2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Per gtem's mention of Rt 414.. a couple of pics. A small / midsized bike would be a hoot.

GS1150 by Glen Brenner, on Flickr

Spook Hollow looking north by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I've kinda jonesed for one of these for a long time:
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by gtem View Post
                I was talking to my brother about this today, how we should try doing a "throwback tour" both riding out first bikes. Me on my XS500 and him on his old CB360. He summed up in a single sentence what I wrote a whole dang substack article about (https://substack.com/inbox/post/108584692
                That was a nice piece, Grisha. Thanks for sharing. Always enjoy your writing.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

These could be perfect for that kind of riding, too:
                  Best bets on tomorrow's classics: 1989-1991 Honda Transalp XL600V is a fun and versatile touring bike
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                    These could be perfect for that kind of riding, too:
                    https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/c...ansalp-xl600v/
                    Ran across a German couple last summer that had their Transalps flown over here to tour the US for six months. After hanging out with them a couple of times it was obvious he's a top notch wrench.

You gotta admit, packing up two bikes and shipping them to another continent with practically ZERO parts availability takes some guts but more importantly a good deal of confidence that your bikes won't be needing repairs along the way!

His only mistake was not packing some oil and air filters, he assumed those would be available but no dice. Luckily I was able to help him out with finding a place for him to have them shipped to a few weeks later.
                    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post

Ran across a German couple last summer that had their Transalps flown over here to tour the US for six months. After hanging out with them a couple of times it was obvious he's a top notch wrench.

You gotta admit, packing up two bikes and shipping them to another continent with practically ZERO parts availability takes some guts but more importantly a good deal of confidence that your bikes won't be needing repairs along the way!

His only mistake was not packing some oil and air filters, he assumed those would be available but no dice. Luckily I was able to help him out with finding a place for him to have them shipped to a few weeks later.
                      That's a cool story. I respect anyone who can manage that sort of shipping and ride. The only bikes I've ever shipped and ridden in another country were bicycles, for a tour from Austria to Hungary, and even there, having to repair a derailleur hanger and replace a derailleur on one bike was not fun.
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

On topic; gtem, you might like a (modern) Guzzi V7.

Still has the looks & the frame (mostly) from back when, but with an updated engine and some minor tweaks to the frame etc. People chatting me up on my V7 regularly confuse it
                        to the vintage models. (The story is that when Moto Guzzi was resurrected, they "simply" took all the existing drawings/plans/etc. and updated it to modern standards).

#1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

All Guzzis are now liquid cooled?
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            All Guzzis are now liquid cooled?
                            Say what? The V7 and V9 are air-cooled.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Ya'll got me wondering, Looked it up and MSC specs shows Guzzi V7 air cooled and Goozi V9 air/oil cooled.
                              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I haven't ridden one but I like the looks and specs of the V7, but I am very suspicious of the "retro-remakes," my one brush with one, a 01 Bonneville, left me wanting. Too polished, missing sense of adventure of riding a real vintage carbureted motorcycle.
                                Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
                                Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Comment

Working...
                                X