Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Too much bike" or nostalgia? 100hp 4cyl vs <50hp twin for leisurely back road riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gtem View Post

My search started with XS650s, a very natural fit for the question at hand, but the KZ750 sort of dropped in my lap (well, sort of, it's clear 7 hours away driving time). But when I see a clean unmolested older bike, for cheap, in need of rescuing from cafe/bobber intenders, one must act.
    That's the tough part of trying to find an XS650, one that's not been hacked up! Gotta admit though, they do make a nice looking old school style chopper for not much money with easily sourced off the shelf parts.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post

That's the tough part of trying to find an XS650, one that's not been hacked up! Gotta admit though, they do make a nice looking old school style chopper for not much money with easily sourced off the shelf parts.
      When I take the XS650 out after using the 850, it's like riding a Honda 250 but with twice the power.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I think literbikes (excluding big tourers) have been fun overkill for street use for years. If I ever have the extra money and space, I'd love to park a small GS next to the 1150.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I haven't had a bike smaller than a 900 in decades, but they can be fun, and some of my best memories have been aboard my GPz 550 and the RZ350s I owned.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Ha, same here. I started on a KZ 550 in 90s then a year later it was GS1100, then GS1150, then the ES I have now.

That old scooter I have is a hoot though.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
              Ha, same here. I started on a KZ 550 in 90s then a year later it was GS1100, then GS1150, then the ES I have now.

That old scooter I have is a hoot though.
              I have friends who own Groms and are now angling for Vespa 300s. They don't do long trips but I daresay they have as much fun on two wheels as anyone I know.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Those little wheels slide on sand to easily. I also have seem many of these bikes get nearly rear ended as people who ride them ride in high speed traffic lanes at 40 mph, and everyone else is doing 65 mph. They good for about town, and some back roads. When I go riding, I want to go where I want to go on a whim. Any bike 500 cc or larger will let you do that. Even certain 400 cc bikes will allow that, to a point, they get a lot of road harshness passing up through the frame, and you are always revving the pizz out of them to get anywhere. I wouldn't, these days, take a 400 cc bike up on a major Interstate Highway.

Comment

I think the thread was about backroads ...
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

I'm certainly not gonna be buying a Grom but I think the point is spot on, being able to ride something using more of its performance envelope while doing so safely/legally on the street. I personally can't wrap my mind around the economics of these little 125s, and I get that it's not fair to compare new vs used, but their MSRPs are what I paid for my clean low mileage Bandit 1200... but that's me speaking as a massive cheapskate.
                    Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
                    Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Comment

I wondered when I saw the thread title what was meant by backroad. To me, in my area backroads are the little dirt or gravel roads, Some probably think maybe narrower rds. that have no stripes on them, and some may think a hwy. with very little traffic. Read several definitions, and nothing definite about size or surface, but all say light traffic and usually in rural unpopulated areas... Hoped I'd find something more definite.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I guess I was a bit vague. To me backroad is widely defined as anything below a state highway, from 25mph up to 55mph limit, with a lot of those landing in the 40-45mph posted speed limit range, twisty, sometimes mediocre pavement, sometimes narrow and/or no marked centerline. A prime example last summer was PA 414 that runs along Pine Creek in Northern/central PA. It's cut into a mountainside, very narrow and twisty, the posted speed limit is as low as 25mph in some spots but goes up to 35-45 in some other areas. I was on my GS1100E last summer on that road and it just felt super overkill/out of place. A bull in a china shop.
                        Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
                        Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Comment

I've recently gotten to know a former trick riding (supposed) superstar, he's riding a 600cc Yamaha sport bike these days. It's a pretty wild experience riding with him, we'll be going down the road at 60mph and here he comes around to pass with the front wheel about two feet off the ground! He's planning to stick around Florida's gulf coast for awhile and is trading his bike in and getting a Grom, he claims it's the better bike for playing around in the dirt, riding in the sand and so on. The way this guy rides I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about.
                          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Don't think you were vague, everybody uses the term backroads. it's just that folks in different places think of it different. I don't remember reading about to do with speed limits or about below a st. hwy. The first thing that came up said "road away from the main road" but then didn't define main rd. Most definitions agreed in rural less populated areas... Kind'f like say'in I bought a high dollar house, near here $500K may be considered hi dollar, don't think folks in CA would think so
                            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

In Connecticut back roads are roads that sometimes leads you into the driveway of someone's house.

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                                Go check out a Royal Enfield dealer.
                                Yeah, the newer 650 twin is innnnnnnnteresting.

And yes, it's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast...

I will always have a soft spot for twins and triples.
                                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                                X