Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New law limits kids on social media use.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
    There is no opiod crisis. It's a number created when the government combined all the people on legitimate Pain Management, with drug users, and people selling drugs criminally. You drank the Kool-Aid buddy. You are officially part of the problem.

Wow ! There sure as Hell is here ! ....

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

I need to qualify my statement, it was too broad. My bad. If pharmaceutical companies are manufacturing these drugs for illegal distribution, then it is a criminal crisis. I have 10 Ruptured discs, 5 are fused, 5 cannot be fixed. I also have a $500,000 dollar implant in my Spine to help control the pain. I am under one of the best Pain Management doctors in the country. This "crisis", if you read between the lines, is nothing near as dangerous as the synthetic drugs being created by foreign entities.

A couple of years there was a complete lack of the ability of Morphine. You could get all the Hydrocodone(Oxycodone) you wanted, but not Hydromorphone (Morphine I.R.). The reason it turns out, is that the government purchased all the output of Morphine I.R. (Instant Release) and it is stored in Ft. Knox, in event of a natural catastrophe. The stuff doesn't go bad. It is the largest suply of Morphine in the world.

The Opiod crisis went and passed when the companies got fined for over producing and marketing. People who have money can get whatever they want, and if you took a sharp look at the demographics of who was affected by Hydrocodone, you would see it was mostly the children of the wealthy, and illegal clinics that opened up and hired nearly retired doctors and ran pill factories, and very poor counties. There are people who still abuse prescription drugs, but there never was an "Opiod Crisis", there always is an "Opiod Crisis", the media just covered it differently and the government listed all those under pain management in with the criminals. It's all scare politics and diversion. It's also a problem with people who try to self medicate, but cannot find decent "Pain Management" centers because their insurance won't cover it, or Pain Management Centers don't exist.

I do agree with you, some parts of the country are severely affected, this is due to corruption, and the laws on the books not being held up. I do agree with you, in part, if you live in one of those areas affected. I don't. I was affected when the politics of the situation almost tied my Pain Management Doctor's hands, and the medicine I use was not available, but that was 3 years ago.

Again, I do agree with you that certain areas are being severely affected by local issues which allow this to happen. I can't stand the criminals, hang them upside down till they die, but I pray for the people who need genuine car and cannot get it.

Comment

From weakest to strongest (generic/brand name):

Hydrocodone is Vicodin.

Oxycodone is Percocet.

Hydromorphone is Dilaudid.

Oxymorphone is Opana.

Get your facts straight. (All of these are "synthetic").

P.S. I have not had genuine car since I sold my '68 Camaro (327, stick, etc. etc.).
        Last edited by Rob S.; 03-29-2023, 04:10 PM.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks, the only one I deal with is Morphine Sulfate I.R. daily. Occasionally, when then pain puts me in the hospital, I get put on Dilaudid, or if in the hospital, the I.V. version of Dilaudid. Being in intractable pain sucks a$$. I've been dealing with this for 40 years. Vicodin does nothing for pain for me, it just gets me really dizzy. I don't take anything synthetic, Dilaudid is the only synthetic medicine I have been used. When I almost died last December, they had me on that stuff 24 hrs. a day. It definitely took the edge off. .

Comment

Tell you what, if you think the opioid crisis isn't real I'll take you on a guided tour of The Ohio River Valley and a stop at a sober living house in Athens, Oh that I helped set up. My guess is you'd have a different opinion after meeting scores of honest hard working folks who got started much the same way you did.
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

The situation is patchy. It's is a problem that cannot be solved at the national level through legislation. The affected areas need to get the funds from the Fed's, but they have to spend it as the local people know where the problems lie.

They could not have started like me. I resisted Pain Management. I never sough drugs. It wasn't till my Cardiologist told me if I didn't get any, I would have a heart attack from the High Blood Pressure the pain was causing. I do not have high blood pressure, but that's what real pain does to you. Besides being paralyzed for a year, and taking that long to learn how to walk again. To me, the Opiod crisis is when people in legitimate pain can not get the proper care and education how to deal with that pain.

I will never be free from pain, but I can and have gained a higher quality of life. This started for me when I was 24 years old, and I felt into a 4 axis CNC machine and broke my neck. Back then they weren't sure if ruptured discs were tumors, or what as CAT scans had not been invented. I'm 65 now. I know the ins and outs of pain care in my state, and to be frank, it stinks to high heaven. I just by the grace of God, found a fantastic doctor. I also have perfect blood pressure.

I worked in a drug rehab house in Philadelphia, and that was in the late '70's. The problem has always been around but the access to information seems to be waking up people who were oblivious beforehand.

People chasing a "high" still are suffering from a mental illness. Filling the jails up with them isn't the answer. An equitable Health Care system is. IMHO.

Comment

The situation is patchy. It's is a problem that cannot be solved at the national level through legislation. The affected areas need to get the funds from the Fed's, but they have to spend it as the local people know where the problems lie.

They could not have started like me. I resisted Pain Management. I never sough drugs. It wasn't till my Cardiologist told me if I didn't get any, I would have a heart attack from the High Blood Pressure the pain was causing. I do not have high blood pressure, but that's what real pain does to you. Besides being paralyzed for a year, and taking that long to learn how to walk again. To me, the Opiod crisis is when people in legitimate pain can not get the proper care and education how to deal with that pain.

I will never be free from pain, but I can and have gained a higher quality of life. This started for me when I was 24 years old, and I felt into a 4 axis CNC machine and broke my neck. Back then they weren't sure if ruptured discs were tumors, or what as CAT scans had not been invented. I'm 65 now. I know the ins and outs of pain care in my state, and to be frank, it stinks to high heaven. I just by the grace of God, found a fantastic doctor. I also have perfect blood pressure.

I worked in a drug rehab house in Philadelphia, and that was in the late '70's. The problem has always been around but the access to information seems to be waking up people who were oblivious beforehand.

People chasing a "high" still are suffering from a mental illness. Filling the jails up with them isn't the answer. An equitable Health Care system is. IMHO.
                I agree with what you have said.....especially the last sentence
                No signature

Comment

Hmmm. a shift in the direction of the topic and there is a big shift in response type. It appears that, once again, personal experience provides good insight into a public problem.

Perhaps you could redirect some of that insight into parental feelings about social media and how it affects their children, as well as themselves..

Let us know, please as the clock is Tik Tok.....Tik Tok ..ing.

"If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                  Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

There are parents involved with their children. They wanted their children, and either planned for them, or when they found out, were happy about it. I've seen some parents who view their children as a burden that has halted their life plans. I have watched in this town, the different kinds of parents, and being a small town, it was easy to see which kids grew up knowing they would reach the potential they chose, and the ones who grew up, hating their parents, carrying a lot of baggage, and the parents who were counting they days till they were 18 so they could tell them to leave. This had nothing to do with income either.

I always watched where my son went on the computer, and when he was young, could only use his computer that was in the living room. The monitor was always visible to me. I have built every computer I have ever owned, so monitoring a computer physically, or with software has always been possible for me. I also taught my son about right and wrong, social mores, empathy, all the things that I see a lot of adults lacking. That's the issue again. Kids will access social media if they have a cell phone, and you won't be able to get into their accounts, or they can open ones and you won't know it. I had an electronic repair shop for 10 years. I could get into any laptop bought to me because the person forgot their password. I will not go into how I did that because the method still works. I've been coding since 1973.

It's up to the parents. If legislation is presented to required identification, remember that identification can be forged, or legitimate identification can be used without the owner's consent. There's always a work a round. It comes back to the family unit.

As far as TIK-TOK, China has stated that it would rather pull TIK TOK from any country before giving up the source code, if the host country required that. For that reason alone, it should be banned. IMHO.

Comment

That was a broad-reaching post, with a lot of valid info in it.

I am strongly in favour of restrictions on children's access to the internet, especially social media.

A good part of this comes from personal observation of how kids are affected, and from parents who have related their own experiences.

I have two children inn elementary school and joined the parent-teacher council of the school a few years ago.
                      This gave me ears to listen to others and an opportunity to attend regional and Provincial meetings and conferences on school affairs.

One of the most important things I learned came from a man named Paul Davis, who is a very strong advocate of restrictions on child access to social media, including cell phones and computers:
                      One of his strongest statements is NO child under the age of thirteen should have a call phone.and for many children, that age is still too young.

​This link is to a 2018 CBC brief article about him, but it may may not work outside Canada, so the main text is printed below

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...4618372​

For nearly three decades, Paul Davis advised executives on a variety of information technology issues.

More recently, however, he's taken to showing schools the potential dangers of social networking.

"If you talk to most IT-cyber professionals, they don't have many of these challenges at home because they actually understand the complexities of technology," Davis told CBC Radio's All in a Day on Friday.I'm a believer that when a child is on a screen, they should be in the vicinity of a parent.
                      - Paul Davis

The Toronto-based Davis — who's spent the past week presenting to students, parents and teachers in Ottawa — said one of the biggest dangers is non-tech-savvy parents underestimating what their children will be exposed to in the worlds of online gaming, social media and YouTube.

Those same parents need to take control so that their children don't get victimized or bullied online, he added.

"I'm a believer that when a child is on a screen, they should be in the vicinity of a parent ... We don't isolate a child and technology, especially when it's connected to the internet," said Davis.

"For all the individuals who believe that a 10 [or] 11-year-old should be on these social media platforms, they really are in absolute denial."

As Davis notes, if parents can't always avoid racist, sexist and graphic content, it doesn't make sense to expect children will.

Facebook under fire

Much of the consternation over social networking safety stems from recent revelations of how companies like Facebook failed to protect users from data breaches, election meddling and other issues.

Throughout a five-hour hearing this week, U.S. senators from both sides of the aisle grilled Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg.

In his opening remarks Tuesday, Zuckerberg said Facebook didn't do enough to prevent its tools from being used for harm — citing fake news, interference in foreign elections, hate speech and data privacy.

But he rejected the suggestion his company was "wilfully blind" and said he has made major changes to the service to seek out fake accounts and to better protect users' privacy.

'Go outside'

Davis told All in a Day that he's from a generation where parents had to chase kids down to come inside — and it's imperative that this generation's parents also make sure their kids get out of the house and have an active childhood.

"When you're done that screen time, can you please be a kid? It is the greatest time of your life," Davis said.

"Go outside. Play with your friends. Interact with each other. Build human relationships."

Here are some of Davis's other suggestions for using screens safely and responsibly:
                      • Don't allow technology at the dinner table.
                      • Enrol children in sports or other activities.
                      • Don't give them a social media account before they're 13.
                      • Privatize those accounts.
                      • Don't over-post.
                      • Make sure social media connections are humans you have an established relationship with.

"If we apply privacy, we apply the security aspect, and we keep it real, social media is awesome. It's great," Davis said.

"But we fall into the traps of no privacy, over-posting, accepting everyone that wants to be our friend or connect with us. That's where we fall into the trap."

This is a global news link to a more recent speech Davis gave up here, regarding luring of children on social media.

An online safety educator is urging parents to monitor what their kids are doing online. It comes after a man pleaded guilty to sex crimes involving more than 90 underaged victims.
                      Last edited by argonsagas; 04-05-2023, 10:12 PM.
                      "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/license
                        marked by unaffected simplicity : artless, ingenuous; deficient in worldly wisdom or informed judgment; especially : credulous… See the full definition

Who is this Merriam person you quote...... I guess Skull is part of the commonwealth!

The definitive authority, The Oxford Dictionary, states: "Usage—Note that in British English licence is the correct spelling for the noun and is also an acceptable variant spelling of the verb. In US English, both noun and verb are spelled license."​
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

There's more of US than them..................You know I'm joking and don't really give a poop. Just a way to get under someone's skin. I can't tolerate "Aluminium" for "Aluminum" though. That's just going a bit too far, but then again, I don't really care about that either. Fact is, these days, I don't care much about anything, and at the same time, care about everything.

Comment

Note even close mate....

I can't say I'm surprised that you would think that though. Most Americans have no idea what it is! (and why should they...)

The 52 current members of the Commonwealth of Nations cover an area of 31.51 million km˛ on all continents with a population of around 2.63 billion. This corresponds to 20.85 percent of all land masses and 33.31 percent of the world population.​

Aluminium is the older of the two & the official scientific name right up to about 1990 I think. Aluminum was adopted by sheer weight of use.... so many people here got it wrong it become normalised (yep with an S ) and then they gave in and excepted it. That's the way language works I guess!

Having been here nearly 20 years you won't be surprised to learn that I've had these discussions one or twice before!
                            Last edited by salty_monk; 04-07-2023, 10:32 PM.
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I though we said "Aluminum" because we're just lazy and didn't want to add another syllable. Adding the remnants of an old empire, well that's just not fair! I live in New England. I took a trip down south to the Gulf side of Florida. I had a lot of trouble understanding what those people were saying, even though all the signs were in English (or American). i hope you understand I take none of this seriously.

Comment

John Lennon spelled it "colour" so that's good enough for me.
                                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                                X