Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
    Bob, I think you're missing his point.

300,000 miles, I'll never be that good at riding motorcycles.
    300K? Pah. The Iron Butters can kiss my ass.
    I can tell you one thing for sure; if you're not actually learning during all those miles, you're just looking for the scene of your next accident.
    Ask any courier who survived the melee for long enough.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
      if you're not actually learning during all those miles, you're just looking for the scene of your next accident.
      LOL, I have to remember that one Dave....
      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
        I think it would be a really useful skill, to do a slow 180 turn around on a 2 lane road riding a GS1100G.
        As it is I gotta do a see/saw back an forth getting the big thing pointed back the way I came.
        I've been working on this on my 1000G. It can be done, but I'm not nearly 100% on it yet. It goes better if I don't think about it. I think about it a lot less if there isn't a steep drop where the berm ought to be.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          If courses are lacking in your area, try this guy’s videos.

https://youtube.com/@MotoJitsu
          I've found this one to interesting and entertaining: https://www.youtube.com/@MotoControlEn/videos

Of course, watching videos doesn't do nearly as much good as getting out and doing some drills.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
            I think it would be a really useful skill, to do a slow 180 turn around on a 2 lane road riding a GS1100G.
            As it is I gotta do a see/saw back an forth getting the big thing pointed back the way I came.
            That's part of the road test in NY State. Actually, figure 8s in that same space. Easy-peasy on my 11E.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Forr me, U-turns on a two lane was a lot like using a center stand... Pain in the butt if you don't know how, easy-peasy after you get em' figured out.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                The counter steer, post 15 says have seen people taking turns at full speed while leaning the bike the wrong way. I can't imagine how that can happen. counter steer to right bike leans to left. the bike won't go around a curve full speed leaning the wrong way... Remember what HI-siding is.... Just my opinion.
                You're right, I wrote that wrong. What I meant is when people counter steer into a turn, but lean the opposite direction. I knew 2 people who rode this way, one on a BMW and another on a fully faired XS1100. They would counter steer correctly, but either stay vertical, or lean slightly the opposite direction, they never leaned with the bike. When I read what I wrote after reading you post, I realized I didn't word it right. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post

You're right, I wrote that wrong. What I meant is when people counter steer into a turn, but lean the opposite direction. I knew 2 people who rode this way, one on a BMW and another on a fully faired XS1100. They would counter steer correctly, but either stay vertical, or lean slightly the opposite direction, they never leaned with the bike. When I read what I wrote after reading you post, I realized I didn't word it right. Thanks.
                  Well, you've got me confused. "Counter steer correctly"?!? Isn't it something that just happens automatically (or naturally) anytime you lean into a turn? I've never thought, "Oh, I need more counter steer now."

And isn't counter steering, by it's very name, the fact that the handlebars (and the front wheel) are turned ever so slightly right, when you and the bike are leaning left through a left curve? Don't we all do this naturally any time the bike is not completely upright?

And if we don't 'do' this, don't we fall?

"Counter steer INTO a turn"?!? Isn't that an oxymoron?

You're lucky the Grammar Gestapo aren't open this late, 'cause I'm just the type to inform on a fellow rider.

1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

It just happens naturally, you don't "use it" intentionally.
                    I said I usually don't think about it, but if I was telling the whole truth, I'd add that I have noticed something of how definite I have to be with it on the heavy ZX-11 when making highway speed lane changes that are (not exactly leisurely). You've got to put in a little effort to make that thing do what you want. And I didn't want to admit to thinking about it in reverse occasionally too (pull on the right bar to go left, pull on the left bar to go right...). Figured that would just confuse the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

Well, you've got me confused. "Counter steer correctly"?!? Isn't it something that just happens automatically (or naturally) anytime you lean into a turn? I've never thought, "Oh, I need more counter steer now."

And isn't counter steering, by it's very name, the fact that the handlebars (and the front wheel) are turned ever so slightly right, when you and the bike are leaning left through a left curve? Don't we all do this naturally any time the bike is not completely upright?

And if we don't 'do' this, don't we fall?

"Counter steer INTO a turn"?!? Isn't that an oxymoron?

You're lucky the Grammar Gestapo aren't open this late, 'cause I'm just the type to inform on a fellow rider.
                      Yes, you're right, these two people I knew would counter steer correctly, but instead of leaning with the top, the sat on top of it. It is something I have seen some people do and can't figure out why. My Brother in law noticed it about this one day about one of the people we both knew, and he commented on it. I thought I was imaging it, I was happy he noticed it too.

Why lean the bike over, but keep your body straight up and not lean with the bike. Very strange. Counter steering comes natural once you learn how to ride. It becomes refined as time goes on. If you can''t learn it, you had better get a side car of a trike. I guess no one here has seen anyone do this, and I'm glad for you, even happier no one here does it.

Comment

First thing I tell a first-time on a motorcycle passenger to do when the bike is leaning over: NOTHING.
                        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

I've had to tell a few first time passengers, like my mother and mother-in-law, to not try to straighten us up when leaning around a curve. When they learned we weren't going to turn over, they did fine..... Wondering how many folks had no clue they were counter steering, till somebody told them? I'd bet, except for folks that took a motorcycle riding class before learning, there are a bunch of us.
                          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

If you learned how to ride a bicycle, then you would know about counter steering. I've never met anyone who rides a bike that doesn't know this concept. They may not be able to explain gyroscopic precession, but they know what counter steering means. I haven't mean the others who don't as they are probably no longer with us.

Comment

Here's how I remember the training (probably have the book in the closet):

Sit straight up and let the bike lean under you for a slow speed maneuvering turn (like when the handlebars are actually turned the way you're turning), and Lean with the bike in the other ones (like when countersteering is happening, prob).

Can't remember for sure what it is for swerving, but I'm pretty sure it's move the bike only (don't try to lean with it - happens too fast). That's about what happens naturally when I'm trying to miss a flaw in the road that's almost upon me.

Comment

You counter steer to get the bike over, once there, very light left to right motions adjust your position in the lean, at that point, left is left, right is right, but if you pull on the left handlebar, and pull on the right, you'll stand right up. You can see it in MotoGP, where the just ride the bike, leaned all the way over, everything scraping and the front tire wipe out for either going a bit to hard to the left, or right, which ever causes him to go over the edge of the grip. The pic below is a perfect example where the rider in 2nd place is turning his handlebar slightly to the(his) left to go through the left hand turn. You can see it in the 3rd place position too. The first position is almost not viewable from his angle.

motogp-november-03.jpg
                                Last edited by Suzukian; 07-13-2023, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X