How Many Practice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post

If life is so short, shouldn't we avoid writing several verbose sentences, when a few concise ones will do?
    This older guy I know has a problematic daughter in law.

I'll spare y'all the details.

I was talking to him in his driveway when some lady family member of his pulled up and told him he needed to "bury the hatchet" and make up with the daughter in law.

He said" why?" The lady responded "life to short to not get along!"

He shook his head no, and said "life to short to keep putting up with her B.S."

The Wind direction and velocity, atmospheric pressure from his head shaking no coupled with the crosswind from him speaking dam near put me in a tailspin.

Comment

I may have more to report in a few weeks. Finally got an e-mail yesterday on my inquiry into a local advanced course, and I've registered. Don't really want to spend ALL day doing that, but it'll probably be worth it. I'm pretty comfortable with the kind of riding I do, but I know I'm not getting everything out of the bike. I mean it's got a top speed of like 170-something... No, that's not what I mean really, heh. I mean more like slow speed handling and maybe emergency evasive stuff and that.

Comment

Originally posted by JMHJ View Post
        I may have more to report in a few weeks. Finally got an e-mail yesterday on my inquiry into a local advanced course, and I've registered. Don't really want to spend ALL day doing that, but it'll probably be worth it. I'm pretty comfortable with the kind of riding I do, but I know I'm not getting everything out of the bike. I mean it's got a top speed of like 170-something... No, that's not what I mean really, heh. I mean more like slow speed handling and maybe emergency evasive stuff and that.
        Like I've said beforehand, the guys I seen teaching riding class were miracle workers...

They offered advance and refresher classes as well...I see it as a good thing to do.....even if you don't learn anything new, at least you know your prepared as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by trent View Post

Like I've said beforehand, the guys I seen teaching riding class were miracle workers...

They offered advance and refresher classes as well...I see it as a good thing to do.....even if you don't learn anything new, at least you know your prepared as much as possible.
          Like having a golf pro analyzing your swing and making suggestions. Can't hurt to get an expert opinion.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

True, depends on the Golf Pro!

Comment

This is pretty cool, a little of everything, even 100mph+ track time at the end (I muted the music at the end, but yeah!).

Come along with me as I ride my 2015 BMW R1200RTP Police Motorcycle at a law enforcment track in Salem, OR. We focus on slow speed cone drills, braking from ...

One of the first things I noticed was the side-by-side riding and passing the small SUV w/trailer - nowhere to go if they decided to change lanes on you. Rest of it was good stuff.

Watched the MotoJitsu guy doing swerving too which was good; had to cut to the action on that one as it was kind of long.

I'm looking forward to the class, but admit to a bit of nervousness about not wanting to drop the bike. There's no protection and it doesn't look like it's ever been down. Pretty sure I'll be fine but...

Comment

Yes, that side by side passing you mentioned struck me as incredibly stupid. But even before that, as they pull next to a semi, our 'narrator' thought it was a good time to take his left hand off the bars. He might have been adjusting his visor, maybe the camera, he might have been scratching his friggin' nose!

I didn't watch beyond that point (yet). I just got an impression of arrogance that turned me off. He may have said, "Let's do this," but I heard: 'Everybody watch, and see how it's done!'

I hope fate allows him to cash the checks his brain is writing. No, that's not a BMW, that's an F-14. A stitch in time...?
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The only time I ride side by side with someone is if they are in the other lane, and nobody is around. Like Rob said, no place to go if something happens. To show that on a video, I don't think I'd take that course. IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                    The only time I ride side by side with someone is if they are in the other lane, and nobody is around. Like Rob said, no place to go if something happens. To show that on a video, I don't think I'd take that course. IMHO.
                    Exactly. I've always been taught not to ride in the very center of lanes (to avoid the oil patch), but alone.

Two per lane? Not unless it's an honor guard for a slain president.

Comment

Exactly! I see motorcycle clubs riding side by side. same lane, in pairs, right behind each other. I've seen them pile up too. Usually they're only going 35 mph or so, boulevard cruising, but with a heavy bike, some with no front brakes, they pile up pretty quick and they're all tangled up. They wonder why the Cops pull them over. I think they think they look cool. That's something I never got, worrying about how you look when you're riding?

Comment

Well, I got through the training this weekend. It was HOT though. Only really learned one thing I didn't already know (don't use the front brake in slow speed turns), and was reminded to look up more than I tend to for some maneuvers. Braked harder than I have on that bike yet, for that exercise, and did the locked rear wheel thing too.

I didn't come out feeling much more comfortable with anything than I already did, but we got quite a bit of mini-track time that was fun. That would've been better too had I not been held back by slower riders much of the time. I got by that some by hanging back and then riding faster and catching up. I'd like to do more of that, but in better weather.

I was pleased with the bike. Just about to turn 79,000 miles, and it worked well all day (up to 95F+ and heat index 100F+). I wasn't sure how it would do in a situation where the fans run almost constantly, but they kept the temp down.

I played around with hanging off some on the track, but the stock seat probably would've been better for that. The Corbin kind of cradles your butt. It's doable though. Fun stuff.

Comment

If you want to improve your riding, take a few flying lessons, 10 or so. Your head moving on a pivot will expand how you ride immensely. Flying made me realize how much I was focused only on what was in front of me, and a little of the sides. Now, I look everywhere, at all points and I have seen deer in the woods getting ready to ump out, hit the brakes, and have had them pop out 10 feet in front of my stopped bike. We have a lot of deer, and other larger critters around here. A Black Bear has decided he really likes the berries growing behind my Barn.

Comment

Flying lessons? I thought they were for learning about Gyroscopic precession!
                            Ron
                            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                            1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                            1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                            1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

That too! Anything that enhances your senses is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                                If you want to improve your riding, take a few flying lessons, 10 or so. Your head moving on a pivot will expand how you ride immensely.
                                Too late... Got my private pilot certificate the same year I started riding. Haven't done it in oh, coming up on 20yrs before too long, though. Riding is much cheaper and readily doable. There's nothing like flying, but it's different thing, to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X